• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised nobody gets excited for cup games, our best games for me last season were cup games and those kind of games only potentially come about if we win the games we should win on paper. T

I think the Tav transfer really took any new season feel good factor away. The fact we are 2 weeks later without a replacement even close is frustrating and makes you question what the club are doing,

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Cynic in me thinks 10 is too much of a coincidence. Are teams deliberately tanking here to avoid further congestion?

boro challenge accepted lol

25 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I have wondered if our FA Cup exploits last season drained away some energy and fatigue set in towards the end of our Championship season. With the World Cup messing up fixtures I would think that many Clubs are perhaps taking a "pragmatic" approach to fixture congestion.

I think clubs just doing what they usually do, play the kids and reserves in the cup, which when you playing teams trying their hardest will often end up with you going out. 

like how many of these fringe players are going to go out there and try to throw the game, they will all want to make an impact as their time to shine, its just that the league one and two if they play their first team will want to beat them even more and have the experience etc to do so, lower league pros usually beat u23 players most of the time. so if thats whats been getting played thats the expected result for me. I've not looked at anyones line ups but that's usually the reason why this happens. 

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Wouldn't bother me at all if we did. Do we really need three more games just to get brutalised over two legs in a semi final by Liverpool or City. Hate the two legged semis in this cup, it's just insurance to give the bigger sides more chance to get through to the final. 

The FA Cup run was good fun last year but I do wonder how much it took out of our players. The likes of Crooks, Jones, and Howson who we had no backup for (still don't for the midfielders) were clearly out of gas later in the season. Would be happy to go out early of both cups and concentrate on the league this year. 

this is another reason I like the 90mins then penalties, gives the chance for more wild card opposition in the later stages, which is one of the things I enjoy about the cups when a team goes further than they have a right too on paper. if top teams take it serioisuly then a couple of them should get there in the end even without the 2 legs. Always felt replays and 2 legs are a waste of everyones time, play them at a big neutral ground like the fa cup if they trying to give each club a nice semi final pay day. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rob said:

this is another reason I like the 90mins then penalties, gives the chance for more wild card opposition in the later stages, which is one of the things I enjoy about the cups when a team goes further than they have a right too on paper. if top teams take it serioisuly then a couple of them should get there in the end even without the 2 legs. Always felt replays and 2 legs are a waste of everyones time, play them at a big neutral ground like the fa cup if they trying to give each club a nice semi final pay day. 

Totally agree. Extra time and two-legged ties only favour the better team with more resources. Straight to pens after 90 minutes is much better.

Replays are ridiculous in the modern game too - although I know they can mean a lot financially to lower league clubs. Maybe the lower ranked side should get to choose whether they're home or away. Home for better chance of winning, or away for the payday. If teams are drawn from the same league then it stays random. Premier League teams have such a gross advantage over everyone else anyway, they can suck it up. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Totally agree. Extra time and two-legged ties only favour the better team with more resources. Straight to pens after 90 minutes is much better.

Replays are ridiculous in the modern game too - although I know they can mean a lot financially to lower league clubs. Maybe the lower ranked side should get to choose whether they're home or away. Home for better chance of winning, or away for the payday. If teams are drawn from the same league then it stays random. Premier League teams have such a gross advantage over everyone else anyway, they can suck it up. 

don't even need to compensate for the replays for lower league teams, coz just as many teams who may loose out to the replay fixture, all clubs have adjusted to the change by now as its been in a few years, and you cannot budget your club based on you may get a juicy replay in the cup, its more bonus than anything when it happens. 

but there are going to be quite a few who are getting a even better next round tie due to them only having to play through penalties which they probs have as much chance of winning when vs a prem team as the prem team does, so thats the swings to the roundabouts. 

I've never liked replays ever since went to our first coca cola cup final and thought was going to see a penalty shoot out only to be told replay at Hillsborough, was that *** off going down for the day to london for watching what essentially was not actually the coca cup final - that I didn't even watch the replay on tv lol. was like what was the point even playing extra time then going to replay was most baffling thing for me, would of been well happy with penalties even if we lost by them. 

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I would imagine there's a certain level of private discussion that occurs inside a club and is meant to be kept that way. 

If that is passed on to an outside source then the person doing that is sharing confidential information, likewise those sharing it on a message board are sharing confidential information. 

We all enjoy reading it but if we're going to get all precious about the source then maybe it should be the same rules for everyone. 

The top and bottom of it is that whatever leaks out of the club in the way of gossip is as nothing compared to the role of agents in putting the information out into the public domain via social media or through journos. It is totally in their interests and that’s where most of it comes from. The selling club also has a strong motive to flag up interest.

5 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

The top and bottom of it is that whatever leaks out of the club in the way of gossip is as nothing compared to the role of agents in putting the information out into the public domain via social media or through journos. It is totally in their interests and that’s where most of it comes from. The selling club also has a strong motive to flag up interest.

Its two different things. 

But, sometimes deals are kept really quiet As a buyer its usually in your best interests to keep things quiet so no one else can come in and outbid you. 

17 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

Did you mean to post this in the other thread?

30 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

Now you've done it, the police have arrived!

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Is it? I thought there was a blanket ban on Carabao Cup games?

It was in yesterdays papers...Just checked it...now its not...Checked Flashscore and its not on there either

2 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Why is there a blanket ban on those games?

Presumably to protect attendances.

We've already had somebody on this thread saying they wouldn't go if it was available to stream, and there's limited uptake as is.

44 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Its two different things. 

But, sometimes deals are kept really quiet As a buyer its usually in your best interests to keep things quiet so no one else can come in and outbid you. 

yeah unless you think the club are keeping your offers away from the player and his agent, then buyer clubs may leak the interest and offers to make sure the bids are known in the media to apply pressure if the player would be keen. 

Everyone is at the leak game full stop, every party does it when it suits them for one reason or another. 

• Downsouth changed the title to Boro V Barnsley (League Cup) 0-1