oneBoro Forum

Boro V Barnsley (League Cup) 0-1

just the curse of us, soon as I hear from maddo or someone the trivia facts such as this team has not won at the riverside for 70 years you know its guaranteed we already lost

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised nobody gets excited for cup games, our best games for me last season were cup games and those kind of games only potentially come about if we win the games we should win on paper. T

I think the Tav transfer really took any new season feel good factor away. The fact we are 2 weeks later without a replacement even close is frustrating and makes you question what the club are doing,

Posted Images

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm surprised nobody gets excited for cup games, our best games for me last season were cup games and those kind of games only potentially come about if we win the games we should win on paper.

There's always something I'm looking forward to in a cup game. Generally speaking because of the likelihood we don't get anywhere near the end of the tournament, I look at them as mini 1v1 side-competitions, where the end result can both not matter too much if we lose but can get really exciting if we win. I always look forward to finding out who we get in the next round when we're in the draw. They have to finish on the night so no dull draws, could go all the way to penalties and who doesn't love a penalty shootout!?

Not to mention it's one of the only times during the campaign that there's a likelihood of the young lads getting mixed in with first-teamers. It sounds like tonight will be one of the occasions where that happens so it gives us a chance to see how some of them play in a competitive fixture alongside some of the actual first-team players, which is the only true way to see if they can just fit in alongside them during the season.

Can't wait, me.

It's specifically the League Cup that I can't get invested in anymore, which is a shame because of our history with it.

I suspect part of that is because of how much indifference it's treated with by clubs, managers and fans, and I'm aware I'm just adding to that.

I expect it will be scrapped in the coming years.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

just the curse of us, soon as I hear from maddo or someone the trivia facts such as this team has not won at the riverside for 70 years you know its guaranteed we already lost

It's okay, they beat us in the League Cup at the Riverside in 2020.

• Sad 1

Our 1st home fixture v Barnsley was on the 7th October 1899, with Boro winning 3-0, our 3rd home game as a football league club,  our 2nd home win as a football league club, the 1st time we scored more than one goal in a game, with Thomas Lamb became the 1st Boro player to score 2 goals in the same game

Boro v Barnsley fixture will be the 34th fixture on Teesside between the 2 teams with the following record:

Won 23

Drew 5

Lost 5

Goals scored - 70

Goals against - 20

Hat tricks & more v Barsnley

22nd February 1901 Second division - Barnsley 2 Boro 7 - John Brearly became the 2nd Boro player to score 4 goals in one game when Boro thrashed Barnsley away

21st January 1956 Second division - Charles Wayman scored our 1st hattrick v Barnsley, his 1st HT, the clubs 14th away HT & 31st in total as a league club

22nd August 1967 League cup 1st round -  John Hickton scored our 1st home league cup hattrick, our 2nd in total, (Alan Peacock scored our 1st  at Tranmere) in a 4-1 home win, it was John Hicktons 2nd HT, the 75th at Ayresome Park & 107th overall  

Represented both teams

John Hendrie

Paul Wilkinson

Jan Åge Fjortoft 

Dave Currie

Viv Anderson managed Barnsley before Robbo brought him to the Boro

Debuts v Barnsley

Registered No55 - David Smith 26/2/1900 home won 3-0

Registered No395 Brian Clough 17/9/1955 home 1-1

Registered No549 Kevin Beattie 6/11/1982 home won 2-0

Registered No650 Jan Arga Fjortoft 22/4/1995 away 1-1

Registered No797 Scott McDonald 9/2/2010 home won 2-1

Registered No939 Sam Morsey 15/9/202 home league cup lost 2-0

Registered No940 Sam Forlain 15/9/202 home league cup lost 2-0

Did you know: 

We’ve played Barnsley in the league, league cup, FAC & Anglo italian cupGeorge Camsell’s record of 59 league goals in 37 games & 63 goals in all competitions in one season may not have happened

In his early days he made little impression & at one time he was on the verge of signing for Barnsley for £200 but they were unable to raise the funds, fortunately for Camsell & the Boro 

6th November 1982 Kevin Beattie, registered No550 made his Boro debut in a 2-0 home win over Barnsley, in our highest attendance of the season so far, 11,787, with goals from David Shearer & Darren Wood,  IIRC, Barnsley played at AP in Boro’s blue away top that afternoon 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's okay, they beat us in the League Cup at the Riverside in 2020.

so for the curse you got to reverse the stat against barnsley, 

Barnsley are on a massive unbreakable streak of one league cup victory at the riverside vs us. 

that should at least get us a draw by 90th min

got to use the curse against other clubs instead of setting them up against us lol

1 hour ago, Erimus74 said:

Our 1st home fixture v Barnsley was on the 7th October 1899, with Boro winning 3-0, our 3rd home game as a football league club,  our 2nd home win as a football league club, the 1st time we scored more than one goal in a game, with Thomas Lamb became the 1st Boro player to score 2 goals in the same game

Boro v Barnsley fixture will be the 34th fixture on Teesside between the 2 teams with the following record:

Won 23

Drew 5

Lost 5

Goals scored - 70

Goals against - 20

Hat tricks & more v Barsnley

22nd February 1901 Second division - Barnsley 2 Boro 7 - John Brearly became the 2nd Boro player to score 4 goals in one game when Boro thrashed Barnsley away

21st January 1956 Second division - Charles Wayman scored our 1st hattrick v Barnsley, his 1st HT, the clubs 14th away HT & 31st in total as a league club

22nd August 1967 League cup 1st round -  John Hickton scored our 1st home league cup hattrick, our 2nd in total, (Alan Peacock scored our 1st  at Tranmere) in a 4-1 home win, it was John Hicktons 2nd HT, the 75th at Ayresome Park & 107th overall  

Represented both teams

John Hendrie

Paul Wilkinson

Jan Åge Fjortoft 

Dave Currie

Viv Anderson managed Barnsley before Robbo brought him to the Boro

Debuts v Barnsley

Registered No55 - David Smith 26/2/1900 home won 3-0

Registered No395 Brian Clough 17/9/1955 home 1-1

Registered No549 Kevin Beattie 6/11/1982 home won 2-0

Registered No650 Jan Arga Fjortoft 22/4/1995 away 1-1

Registered No797 Scott McDonald 9/2/2010 home won 2-1

Registered No939 Sam Morsey 15/9/202 home league cup lost 2-0

Registered No940 Sam Forlain 15/9/202 home league cup lost 2-0

Did you know: 

We’ve played Barnsley in the league, league cup, FAC & Anglo italian cupGeorge Camsell’s record of 59 league goals in 37 games & 63 goals in all competitions in one season may not have happened

In his early days he made little impression & at one time he was on the verge of signing for Barnsley for £200 but they were unable to raise the funds, fortunately for Camsell & the Boro 

6th November 1982 Kevin Beattie, registered No550 made his Boro debut in a 2-0 home win over Barnsley, in our highest attendance of the season so far, 11,787, with goals from David Shearer & Darren Wood,  IIRC, Barnsley played at AP in Boro’s blue away top that afternoon 

Thanks for the input E74 always a valuable contribution

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Boro V Barnsley (League Cup) 0-1