oneBoro Forum

Boro V Barnsley (League Cup) 0-1

19 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Just watched the highlights, can't even explain how I saw a completely different thing from what actually happened from my seat. 😂

Thought he'd saved it with the outside of his outstretched foot, didn't realise he'd just completely fumbled a ball straight at him.

Weird.

Pretty sure he nearly did something similar in the first half too, possibly more than once.

Not a good night for the keeper at all.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised nobody gets excited for cup games, our best games for me last season were cup games and those kind of games only potentially come about if we win the games we should win on paper. T

I think the Tav transfer really took any new season feel good factor away. The fact we are 2 weeks later without a replacement even close is frustrating and makes you question what the club are doing,

Posted Images

Just back after the match. My biggest annoyance tonight was the lack of effort from the team in the first half. Paddy, Fry in particular just didn't seem interested. Which I think is quite worrying.

I thoughts Dodds and Bilongo and Fletcher looked good. Much more aggressive.

43 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Good to see certain players like Fry and Paddy get minutes in to they legs. Would not be surprised if its Paddy Lenihan and Fry across the back on Sunday

I think I'll cry if Bola is starting

4 minutes ago, chickenlunch said:

I think I'll cry if Bola is starting

I am not sure McNair looked fit. Coupled with Howson barely being able to run in his fitness test I'm not sure who will play on Sunday.

16 minutes ago, edinboro said:

Just back after the match. My biggest annoyance tonight was the lack of effort from the team in the first half. Paddy, Fry in particular just didn't seem interested. Which I think is quite worrying.

I thoughts Dodds and Bilongo and Fletcher looked good. Much more aggressive.

Re: Paddy, Dael - they were probably just told to use the time to get fit

Re: the kids - obvious chance to impress

Don't know how anybody else feels after that game but you can see how desperate we are for a squad.

I think Wilder does right to lay off the players in the aftermath of the game. It was a much changed side, a lot more kids involved than I was expecting, a few first team debuts I think tonight too. It might have been just the one side of the ground pretty much but it was still quite a big stage for some of the players out there tonight.

But I'm going to be frank, I did not see much of anything from any player on the pitch that was worthy of note. That includes the Barnsley team. So the game was dead from the moment Duncan Watmore missed the chance to put the ball past a rooted keeper. Yet somehow, a nothing shot that should have been saved wobbles away from the keeper and they score in the last seconds of the game.

That game had 0-0 written all over it. There was absolutely no quality in the game. No individual players stood out, certainly not in the attacking sense and we didn't look overly confident defensively either. We may have dominated possession but I can't agree with Wilder that we dominated the game. Tony Pulis gave us more dominant performances than that and that's a manager who didn't really understand the concept of taking the game by the scruff of the neck.

Still, it's worth clarifying that this was a free hit and a chance for some fringe/youth players to come in and show us what they're about, to stake a claim at a first team spot and I can't in good faith say anybody did just that. The kids had their moments, I guess. Marauding Daniel Dodds brought an exciting moment in the second half, Hackney might have looked more assured with some experience around him, Fletcher and Bilongo got involved to some extent, Finch certainly looked lively but with little service and the head-down Watmore never seeing him (incredibly the exact same problem that was on display at Bishop Auckland) he never found himself on the end of anything. But for the most part, there was a real lack of substance. The hard thing to say about the kids is if we have to rely on them as members of this squad, I am very, very concerned about the season ahead.

That shouldn't be the case though. The only other interesting thing of note tonight is that the CBs essentially played all across the backline in different positions. I did not expect to see Dijksteel in the middle slot and Fry LCB at the start but it looked like the manager wanted to get a look at them in less than comfortable positions and they certainly got forced to do that throughout the first half and some of the second. I suspect Wilder wants to see how best he can utilise his defenders to fit them into the team.

• Like 3

Just caught the highlights..

Watmore and Bilongo should have scored. 

A player with green boots looked good (Gibson?) in the mid field. 

Nice to see some youngsters get a game in a cup we are never gonna win. Next game please. 

Wilder was surprisingly chipper I thought all things considered. Seems like he was treating it like a pre-season game which is fair enough as long as the paying punters don't mind.

How come Watmore was starting though, isn't he Wilder's preferred starter in the league and has only one good leg? 

I can't believe the situation we are in, but I remain tentatively hopeful the backroom lads are going to pull something out of the bag, and that Wilder can get a steamer on.

5 debutants last night

Liam Roberts registered No982 our 84th 1st team GK

Sonny Finch registered No983 

Bryant Akono Bolono registered No984

Daniel Dodds registered No985

Iassc Fletcher registerd No986 

• Like 3