oneBoro Forum

Boro V Barnsley (League Cup) 0-1

I'd like to see our more promising Academy guys getting a "go"  Bilongo and joe Gibson being the main two, for me

Hackney played very well last week and probably desrves a "go" too

Wilder is not paying enough attention to the Academy lads, in my view

He seems to like Finch and Kav is always a bit of handful and he doesn't have much else up front.  If Akpom is fit more minutes will be a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised nobody gets excited for cup games, our best games for me last season were cup games and those kind of games only potentially come about if we win the games we should win on paper. T

I think the Tav transfer really took any new season feel good factor away. The fact we are 2 weeks later without a replacement even close is frustrating and makes you question what the club are doing,

Posted Images

Roberts

Smith - McNair - Fry - Bilongo - Bola

Hackney

Boyd-Munce - Gibson

Akpom/Hoppe - Forss

This is the team I'd like to play, because I'd like to see some of the younger lads given a go.

I expect pretty much the first choice midfield to actually play though.

If Hoppe is signed in time I'd like to get the minutes into his legs.

10 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Ahh, the "push" was more like a gentle breeze. He should be able to get to the ball. Goalkeepers get touched all the time and he just decided to do nothing as soon as he felt the arm and started crying to the ref. He needs to be lot stronger.

Anyway just seen that Lenihans red card only sees him miss out this game which is fairly lucky for us as we need all hands on deck for the league with our threadbare squad. I think he was going to sit this one out anyway. Fry and McNair back in defence. I have no idea about the rest of the team but really there aren't much rotation Wilder can do with the squad unless he makes use of some of the very young lads in midfield and up front. Would be nice to go trough and get the first win out of the way.

He gets an arm in the back as he's jumping, with the protections goalies get in the modern game that's a foul. Doesn't take much actual force to throw you off when you're going up like that. It's a foul.

• Like 4

I definitely like to predict the team more for League Cup games more than any other. Always a bit of "who bloody knows!?" involved.

Roberts
Dijksteel Fry Bola
Smith McNair Hackney McGree Boyd-Munce
Forss Akpom

Think we need to rest some of the legs in midfield, particularly Howson, we definitely could do without losing Jones or Giles to a tie like this and up front, chance for some more minutes in the legs. I'd like to see young Sonny getting a go at this level.

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Well I decided to try and merge AllBoro10's thread with this but it seems to have turned it into his thread. This mod business, eh?

It’s ok mate I will take it. 😂

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

I was at the game and have watched it since I got home and it will get called a foul more often than not, I'm confident of that. There was a clear arm in his back as he went up for his jump.

He's likely not used to the physicality of the championship & the dogshit inconsistent reffing.

As for being caught off his line, Wilder clearly wants our GK to play like that so that's going to continue to happen.

This is what I said at the time. I thought it was poor from Steffen, but regardless of that, if that exact thing happened in every game in the division one weekend, you'll see it given as a foul more often than you won't.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Tom said:

This is what I said at the time. I thought it was poor from Steffen, but regardless of that, if that exact thing happened in every game in the division one weekend, you'll see it given as a foul more often than you won't.

Exactly. I'm not really disagreeing with it being soft or anything, I'm just saying with the protections we know goalies have, that is a foul more often than it isn't.

If I knew that that was never going to be called a foul I'd be right there with the people blaming Steffen, but I don't know that & therefore I believe he has a right to feel a touch aggrieved with that one.

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Roberts

Smith McNair Fry Bilongo Gibson

Hackney Conteh Boyd-Munce

Forss Akpom

I'll go for that, I don't expect it to be that though.

It'd be nice to see Hackney and Conteh given a half each to plead their case to be Howson's successor.

Tricky one this. Could really do with a win to get the season started. A loss and the natives will start getting restless.

If Wilder goes with a 5-4-1 using McGree as a #10 (as in some pre-season games) then that is a strong hint that the club is giving up on a "marquee" striker and may be looking for a midfielder who can play that role. If he sticks with his usual formation then we desperately need some experience in the likes of Boyd Munce, Hackney, Conte or Gibson. If Fry doesn't play then it's panic stations because we literally only have one person who can play that role and he's suspended. That said, Blackburn were tending to play Lenihan as a RCB in a three which implies to me that he really isn't great as the middle of a three.

I would go for keeping as much of the spine of the team as possible while giving 3-4 fringe players a run out.

Roberts

Dijksteel - Fry - McNair 

Smith - Crooks - Howson - Boyd Munce - Giles

Forss - Akpom

Might also be tempted to replace Crooks or Howson with McNair and give Bilongo a run out at LCB

If we get comfortably ahead then bring on McGree to play as #10 with Kavanagh. 

• Downsouth changed the title to Boro V Barnsley (League Cup) 0-1