oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheff Utd 2-2 (Akpom (2) )

BoSU.thumb.jpg.a3f4c4198e5400d421411f238723d000.jpg

THE MIGHTY BORO (WE'RE GOING UP) V SHEFFIELD UNTIED

Sunday 13th August 2022

Kick off: 14:00

Greetings football fans,

The fourth game of the season sees the fourth match day thread author. 5 debuts would’ve been a dream for the first game of the season, had we bagged all our targets. However, against League One Barnsley in the first round of the league cup, it highlighted the thin squad we have, early in a season that many fans hoped would be the true dawn of “Wilder Times” after last season near miss.

Before kick off on Sunday, all the other teams will have played their games. Bar former premier league champions Blackburn Rovers; and West Brom, managed by super hero football manager Steve Barnes. They kick off as we begin the second half against Sheff U. And so, we have the exciting prospect of being bottom of the league... The only way is up! 

THIRD TIME LUCKY?

Our third league game this season sees Chris Wilder's Red army pit their wits against Chris Wilder's Former Red and White Army. To Sheffield United fans, Chris Wilder is their Actor Karanka. They even have a dedicated "Wilder thread" thread on their version of oneBoro, which is available >here< (Also look there for their MDT, which wasn't available at the time of writing.)

The season hasn't really started how the more optimistic among us had envisaged. One point from two games isn't exactly a Championship Title winning performance. But, the more realistic amongst us optimists knows that titles aren't won in the first two games. It's a marathon, not a sprint. There are 44 games left for us to win, which is a whopping 132 points when we win them all. Loads. Surely 133 points is enough to win this league?

NEW FACES

We have another USA 'dude' in the squad, this time tasked at the other end of the pitch. Matthew Hoppe was finally announced on Wednesday and will hopefully be the first of many much needed signings we'll need if we're going to smash the league. I think we only need about another 11 strikers, 37 midfielders and 29 left sided centre backs and our squad will be complete. We've got good enough existing cover for the rest of the squad as long as we just ignore Goal Keepers. By Sunday, we could have Greaves, Muniz, JSL, Mowett and Garner. But, we won't. This is a season that requires a level of patience not experienced by us Boro fans ever in my lifetime. That is, if you believe that we will get the players we need and smash the league this year. 

FOOT IN BOTH CAMPS

Brian Deane - Relegated us when he was with Dirty Leeds, then later joined us and scored a few goals. Nevertheless, I still hated him for making Juninho cry. We were part of the filling in a club sandwich for which SheffUtd were the bread.

Jan Aage Fjortoft - Another one of those “great goal scorers” we ruined. He joined us for £1.3m from Swindon when we really just wanted to keep cult hero Use Fuchs. I remember him more for his pre-game mess arounds with Phil Whelan more than contributions on the pitch. Getting booked for making a glasses gesture with his hands at a linesman who flagged him off side was funny. Oh, and that time he kissed Tim Flowers after a close chance. That was also funny.

Harry Chapman - Meh...

Tony McMahon - An underrated right back, because he wasn't as fast as Justin Hoyte. If you thought the recent "McNair v Dijksteel" saga was a bit much, you missed the original.

SOME FACTS

1. Middlesbrough was better at making steel. Ours built bridges, theirs is only good enough for cutlery.   

2. Sean Bean would've been the greatest player Sheffield Untied ever had if he hadn't kept dying too early.

3. Both clubs were founder members of the Premier League but neither could sign Eric Cantona so didn't win it.

TALKING POINTS

a) How many will we win by?

b) How many debut goals will Hoppe score on Sunday?

c) Will Steffan get caught off his line?

d) McMahon or Hoyte? 

UTB.png.6a1564bc012f4f68e8eafbc56a925c67.png

• Like 7
  • Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cannot fault Akpom this season, he could have taken his poor treatment to heart and phoned it in, but his attitude has been spot on.

Must have watched a different game to some on here. That was a good performance overall against one of the toughest opponents we will face this year. Lots of fight and belief.    They had ve

Wilder is starting to remind me a little too much of Warnock.  Makes his mind up about something and then ignores everything that goes against it.  We conceded twice today and Lenihan was partly respo

Posted Images

Really looking forward to this one. My first trip over of the new season. Big win incoming to kick start the season. 2-0 to the mighty Boro

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Why is this on a Sunday and not getting shown on sky?

I also don't see midweek games on red button for next few months...

Anybody aware of what's happening?

Its because Sheff Utd played last night in Carabao Cup mate at WBA. Think that tie needed to play last night and not Tues and Wed as Commonwealth games were being held in Midlands up until this weekend just gone.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Why is this on a Sunday and not getting shown on sky?

I also don't see midweek games on red button for next few months...

Anybody aware of what's happening?

yeah as TLF says it's all thanks to WBA having a bunch of fixtures screwed up thanks to the Commonwealth games. Because they only played vs Sheff Utd last night, our game got pushed back a day.

• Like 1

Minus two

Square root of -1

Who's Line is it anyway?

d) McMahon or Hoyte? 

No thanks.

I do think our season will take off... But I don't feel it will be this weekend. Things to get worse before they start to get considerably better. Their midfield will bully ours and we won't have anyone for the ball to stick to up front against a strong, aggressive defence. 2-0 defeat. 

a) How many will we win by? -2

b) How many debut goals will Hoppe score on Sunday? Nope

c) Will Steffan get caught off his line? Highly possible 

d) McMahon or Hoyte? Nope 

TALKING POINTS

I admire your optimism... 😆 I'm going for a win for the mighty red & whites...not saying which ones though... 😉

Han Solo Optimism GIF by Star Wars

I'd like to say he'll do a Ravanelli, but the way things are at the moment, he's more likely end up with a hat-trick of misses.

Fail World Cup GIF by FIFA

Haven't seen him yet, but knowing our luck, probably.

gGlNW-.gif

d) McMahon or Hoyte? 

Tough one. Much of a muchness? Though wasn't McMahon also able to play in midfield? Also seem to recall he spent a lot of time injured. I'll go with Hoyte just because he made more appearances. 🤷‍♂️

image.png.f1c2be767f4c34349e612e121526cbeb.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

yeah as TLF says it's all thanks to WBA having a bunch of fixtures screwed up thanks to the Commonwealth games. Because they only played vs Sheff Utd last night, our game got pushed back a day.

Any idea why no red button games?

• Downsouth changed the title to Boro v Sheff Utd 2-2 (Akpom (2) )