oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheff Utd 2-2 (Akpom (2) )

Were people happier with McGree moving further up the pitch today? I felt we looked good when he pushes higher up and we don’t have to rely on him to defend. 

It’s a strange one with the formation as it has its plus points as seen with our first goal today, but then that’s it in terms of creativity. We rarely threaten in the centre. Hopefully with McGree being a bit more advanced it will help us a bit more in that regard.

• Like 1
  • Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cannot fault Akpom this season, he could have taken his poor treatment to heart and phoned it in, but his attitude has been spot on.

Must have watched a different game to some on here. That was a good performance overall against one of the toughest opponents we will face this year. Lots of fight and belief.    They had ve

Wilder is starting to remind me a little too much of Warnock.  Makes his mind up about something and then ignores everything that goes against it.  We conceded twice today and Lenihan was partly respo

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Were people happier with McGree moving further up the pitch today? I felt we looked good when he pushes higher up and we don’t have to rely on him to defend. 

It’s a strange one with the formation as it has its plus points as seen with our first goal today, but then that’s it in terms of creativity. We rarely threaten in the centre. Hopefully with McGree being a bit more advanced it will help us a bit more in that regard.

He's best in and around the box for sure. He's technically gifted & has a great eye for the pass but floats around defensively & goes missing a lot. 

If we could play him as an out and out 10 I think he'd be way more successful.

Someone else suggested it but Mowatt & Howson sat deeper with McGree as a 10 could be something worth trying

• Like 2

What frustrated me about Jones was that with their LB on a Yellow we should have been getting Jones to push up and run at him but as good as McNair was for the build up to the goal I think Crooks was missed by Jones today. A few more cleverly weighted balls for him to run onto would have likely resulted in either a Red card or a few more opportunities for us and maybe some service for Forss.

I can't say that Forss had a bad game because the poor lad needed something to work from and feed off and got zero service. What is becoming clear (like a few of us on here predicted) is that Akpom is very much a Wilder type Striker and a fish out of water under Warnock.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Cannot fault Akpom this season, he could have taken his poor treatment to heart and phoned it in, but his attitude has been spot on.

Got to put my hands up and say I got this one catastrophically wrong. Wrote him off and he's sat me right down. Chuffed for him it was never anything personal and 100% he's proved that he's got something to offer this team.

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Agreed, Mowatt didn't do a great deal but we did seem to have a better structure when he came on.

I think they were caught out a bit by Mcgree at 10. They didn't seem to know who was picking him up. Clearly wasn't something they were expecting.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

What frustrated me about Jones was that with their LB on a Yellow we should have been getting Jones to push up and run at him but as good as McNair was for the build up to the goal I think Crooks was missed by Jones today. A few more cleverly weighted balls for him to run onto would have likely resulted in either a Red card or a few more opportunities for us and maybe some service for Forss.

Agree with this. He needed better service, but part of issue was his own decision making. Being realistic about Jones, he’s very much still a work in progress. He’s been responsible for a good number of goals for us, but his decision making seems to quite naive a lot of the time. Maybe he’s been told to get early crosses in, but too many times nothing is coming of it when he has an opportunity to drive to the byline, look around and either fire it across oval or cut it back. That and the number of times he recycled the ball back instead of putting pressure on their defence.

Also thought today his defending was a bit suspect - one time he was outpacing their player and instead of the simple action of getting past him and collecting the ball, he tried a sliding tackle to get the ball and ended up leaving their player totally clear.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

So they had one minute of team play I am sorry DZ I expect a lot more of both Jones and Mc Nair throughout a 90 minute game.

Jones flatters to decieve I am sorry but he does

Just seen this, working backwards after my initial post on Jones. I think this sums him up - but it’s more he needs encouragement  to take people on, even if he loses the ball. He also needs someone experienced ot help him look back  after the match at his decision making and see how he can improve. We’ve got a good player there - the frustration is ths5 he could be so much better.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Really chuffed for him. Hopefully he'll be the comeback story of the season.

• Like 4

I thought it was was quite a poor game overall punctuated by some moments of quality like our first goal.  Some excitement to finish as we chased a winner but not a good game as such.  I think that was partly as a result of us cancelling each other out to a certain extent, which you might expect from teams that we so close to each other last season, and frankly the heat might have played its part.  It was also fairly niggly, which often seems to lead to a relatively poor game in terms of the quality of football.

I’m guessing everyone is chuffed for Akpom, he certainly looked happy and fair play to him, as this move must have been a nightmare for the most part.  Lovely football down the right to put him in for the first goal.  That needs to work a bit more often however if we are to be successful this season.

Don’t know what the issue was with Fry but it seemed to me that we were better with him than without him.  I think they only had one shot in the first half, which was the goal, and that was at least partly as a result of how slow Lenihan is, and not being close enough to Berge in the first place.  The first 25/30mins of the second half Sheff Utd were on top, and at least some of that was our own doing with Leninhan giving the ball away, or playing passes to people who clearly shouldn’t have been played the ball.  And both him Howson of course we’re the two players marking their lad who put the ball in that Giles scored the own goal from.  It’s weird that our key experienced players take such a casual approach to marking opposition players so often.  We couldn’t do without them though, no way!

We showed some fight to get back into it although I thought that was as much down to Sheff Utd trying to hold out that our tactical changes but then you could argue that us being more attack minded could have lead to that.  A point was a fair result overall, they looked better than us at the beginning and end of the first half, and for a good chunk of the second half from kick off as well.  I don’t quite know why we have these down periods game after game.  You’d like to think that given our next few games we can pick up a couple of wins at least but if we keep disappearing for whole periods of the game then that might not be the case.  It’s easier said than done of course but we need some 90 minute performances or at least say 75 mins.  We’re going to play inferior teams to these throughout the season though but then we did against QPR and shipped three goals anyway.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I thought it was was quite a poor game overall punctuated by some moments of quality like our first goal.  Some excitement to finish as we chased a winner but not a good game as such.  I think that was partly as a result of us cancelling each other out to a certain extent, which you might expect from teams that we so close to each other last season, and frankly the heat might have played its part.  It was also fairly niggly, which often seems to lead to a relatively poor game in terms of the quality of football.

I’m guessing everyone is chuffed for Akpom, he certainly looked happy and fair play to him, as this move must have been a nightmare for the most part.  Lovely football down the right to put him in for the first goal.  That needs to work a bit more often however if we are to be successful this season.

Don’t know what the issue was with Fry but it seemed to me that we were better with him than without him.  I think they only had one shot in the first half, which was the goal, and that was at least partly as a result of how slow Lenihan is, and not being close enough to Berge in the first place.  The first 25/30mins of the second half Sheff Utd were on top, and at least some of that was our own doing with Leninhan giving the ball away, or playing passes to people who clearly shouldn’t have been played the ball.  And both him Howson of course we’re the two players marking their lad who put the ball in that Giles scored the own goal from.  It’s weird that our key experienced players take such a casual approach to marking opposition players so often.  We couldn’t do without them though, no way!

We showed some fight to get back into it although I thought that was as much down to Sheff Utd trying to hold out that our tactical changes but then you could argue that us being more attack minded could have lead to that.  A point was a fair result overall, they looked better than us at the beginning and end of the first half, and for a good chunk of the second half from kick off as well.  I don’t quite know why we have these down periods game after game.  You’d like to think that given our next few games we can pick up a couple of wins at least but if we keep disappearing for whole periods of the game then that might not be the case.  It’s easier said than done of course but we need some 90 minute performances or at least say 75 mins.  We’re going to play inferior teams to these throughout the season though but then we did against QPR and shipped three goals anyway.

Good summary CT

1 hour ago, JTG said:

Got to put my hands up and say I got this one catastrophically wrong. Wrote him off and he's sat me right down. Chuffed for him it was never anything personal and 100% he's proved that he's got something to offer this team.

Same here mate. Very happy to be proved wrong. Let's see if he can keep it up!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Johnmfc81 said:

Wouldn't mind us playing 3412 formation, with Howson/Crooks and Mowatt as the two DMs with Mcgree infront of them behind Akpom and Forss

Surely putting last reasons top scorer an top yellow card earner as DM is shooting yourself in both feet.