oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheff Utd 2-2 (Akpom (2) )

34 minutes ago, chickenlunch said:

didn't say he can't defend, I said a catastrophe waiting to happen. Which he is imo, nearly gave a pen away today, and seems to have developed a habit of sliding in at random at times.. and missing. It's no good just having solid looking stats on paper.

The stats represent what you see on the pitch.  He needs to stop diving in as much and just let his pace be his biggest defensive asset.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cannot fault Akpom this season, he could have taken his poor treatment to heart and phoned it in, but his attitude has been spot on.

Must have watched a different game to some on here. That was a good performance overall against one of the toughest opponents we will face this year. Lots of fight and belief.    They had ve

Wilder is starting to remind me a little too much of Warnock.  Makes his mind up about something and then ignores everything that goes against it.  We conceded twice today and Lenihan was partly respo

Posted Images

6 hours ago, chickenlunch said:

didn't say he can't defend, I said a catastrophe waiting to happen. Which he is imo, nearly gave a pen away today, and seems to have developed a habit of sliding in at random at times.. and missing. It's no good just having solid looking stats on paper.

He’s definitely gone to ground this season a lot more than he was doing last season. Even when his attacking play tailed off last season I thought he did very well defensively. He didn’t dive in and he was very difficult for any opposition to beat. Not sure why he’s diving in so much this season but hopefully he gets back to how he defended previously. 

much like people are calling for a bit of patience with Lenihan after his not great start for us I think Jones deserves that too. Not really sure why some fans dig him out so often. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Anyone seen the ratings by EG and Echo. I know people can have differing views but seems like they watching entirely different games as far as Fry and Lenihan are concerned.

Gazette applauded Fry for “winning everything” and said Lenihan was again unconvincing.

Echo saying Fry struggled before being subbed and Lenihan played well.

I pulled up the Echo on Fry’s rating and Scott Wilson said that Fry got pulled at half time. Didn’t really offer any additional insight into his reasons for giving a 5/10. I thought Fry was very good albeit his distribution was a little ‘impatient’ at times.

9 hours ago, SmogDane said:

I love Dael Fry, but I think Lenihan will be the better, when he gels in .. At least for this system .. 

I hope both players will do well for us ..  And I bet both will get plenty of game time ..

It feels like we are dealing in extremes here .. in this Fry v Lenihan debate .. The truth might be hiding somewhere in between .. 

Le't agree to disagree and hope for the best for all our defenders .. 

That's me signing out of this discussion 😉

I think you had just as much vino as I had yesterday both makes us gobby🤪

• Haha 1

6 goals conceded in 3 games. I just don’t get why we needed to disrupt the Djiksteel McNair Fry partnership I thought it done well last season. I would like to see that in the next game.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

He’s definitely gone to ground this season a lot more than he was doing last season. Even when his attacking play tailed off last season I thought he did very well defensively. He didn’t dive in and he was very difficult for any opposition to beat. Not sure why he’s diving in so much this season but hopefully he gets back to how he defended previously. 

much like people are calling for a bit of patience with Lenihan after his not great start for us I think Jones deserves that too. Not really sure why some fans dig him out so often. 

That's mainly me and only when I have allowed the wine to flow.

Jones is terrific but rather one dimentional  which is a shame because he could litterally cause havoc in opposition defences.

Just pleased we did not lose and showed ability to get back into the game twice and could have clinched it had Duncan Scoresomemore scored 🙂

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, "KM" said:

6 goals conceded in 3 games. I just don’t get why we needed to disrupt the Djiksteel McNair Fry partnership I thought it done well last season. I would like to see that in the next game.

McNair was suspended and injured.

Fry was coming back from injury.

It had to be disrupted in the first game.

If we sign a LCB, one of them is getting dropped entirely.

16 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

McNair was suspended and injured.

Fry was coming back from injury.

It had to be disrupted in the first game.

If we sign a LCB, one of them is getting dropped entirely.

Should be Lenihan dropped. He was pretty much caught out in one way or another for every goal and good chance they created. He's just so slow I don't really know how he's going to be able to rectify it. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Should be Lenihan dropped. He was pretty much caught out in one way or another for every goal and good chance they created. He's just so slow I don't really know how he's going to be able to rectify it. 

Bit of time and patience and a settled back should do the trick.

I'll start this by saying that I love fry, he's a top defender for this division. 

But people are going to have to get used to the fact that his biggest weakness - distribution - is one of the most important things in a wilder defender. Fry has looked good for years in old school systems where defending was the only thing he needed to worry about. However, we're now operating in a modern system where every single player needs to be good on the ball to make it work. Otherwise we're just putting the team under pressure and building nothing ourselves. 

Lenihans defensive work will improve as he gets more used to the shape and more match time in it - by all accounts he is a very good defender too and his stats show it. Fry has played in the wilder system for over half a season now and his ability on the ball hasn't improved to Wilders liking. So he's probably going to be back up until he proves he can do both sides of the game. 

People forget that generally, wilders teams have been very good defensively as well as going forward. His forward signings over the years have been called into question, but he's always been able to pick up defenders that turn into great players in this system. Give him 10-15 games and I'm sure we'll be a much more solid, attractive unit. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Humpty said:

You’d think Fry has two left feet the way some are going on.

No, you wouldn't. 

Fry had 60% passing accuracy, lenihan had 84%. That's the gulf between the two in that particular statistic and it happens to be one our manager rates very highly.

If you think you can put together a modern, possession based team and still have old school defenders with very basic passing skills I invite you to take your manager badges and work your way up - for now, I think wilder should have our full backing until he shows he's not up to it over an extended period of time - he's no where near that point yet, despite the not great start and the not great end to last season. 

Like I say, 10-15 games, I'm confident that we'll see if he's right or not. 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

No, you wouldn't. 

Fry had 60% passing accuracy, lenihan had 84%. That's the gulf between the two in that particular statistic and it happens to be one our manager rates very highly.

If you think you can put together a modern, possession based team and still have old school defenders with very basic passing skills I invite you to take your manager badges and work your way up - for now, I think wilder should have our full backing until he shows he's not up to it over an extended period of time - he's no where near that point yet, despite the not great start and the not great end to last season. 

Like I say, 10-15 games, I'm confident that we'll see if he's right or not. 

The gulf being Lenihan makes 4 passes in 5 over Fry 3 passes in 5? I’d take that knowing how much more solid Fry is than Lenihan.

1 minute ago, Humpty said:

The gulf being Lenihan makes 4 passes in 5 over Fry 3 passes in 5? I’d take that knowing how much more solid Fry is than Lenihan.

Fry made 20 passes total, lenihan made 73. 

• Like 1