oneBoro Forum

Why we won't be promoted this season or in the near future

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I just don't like them AR. They were baying for our blood when we got the infamous 3 point deduction and should have had their own comeuppance by a points deduction when they had Tevez and Mascherano illegally but got off with a fine and Sheffield United had to suffer because of it.

Man Utd would be the funniest thing in the world if they were relegated 🙂 and yes Everton are indeed a basket case

Wow - you really know how to hold a grudge. 😆

The lack of punishment though is down to the PL. I'm guessing one of their old boys like Trevor Brooking or someone had a quiet word in someone's ear, secret handshakes and brown envelopes were exchanged and people were persuaded to turn a blind eye.

Another reason I don't think the PL is all that great. Its just as much of an old boys' club as the FA and if you have the right connections, you can get away with stuff other clubs can't.

• Like 2
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel I have to provide the antidote to the above pessimistic post. We are going up as champions Lee UTB

Yeah it all looked really miserable and divided at the Riverside vs WBA... I'd actually say this is the most engaged the fanbase has been in years. We're seeing signs the club is starting to drag itse

I remember Robbo being booed off the pitch at the end of the season when Terry Venables came in to save us. We were established PL at the time. Mental when you look back. That gadge throwing their ST

Posted Images

Just now, AnglianRed said:

Wow - you really know how to hold a grudge. 😆

The lack of punishment though is down to the PL. I'm guessing one of their old boys like Trevor Brooking or someone had a quiet word in someone's ear, secret handshakes and brown envelopes were exchanged and people were persuaded to turn a blind eye.

Another reason I don't think the PL is all that great. Its just as much of an old boys' club as the FA and if you have the right connections, you can get away with stuff other clubs can't.

Sure it practically only happened the other day 🤣🤣🤣

Boy I’m getting old 😂

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Smogzilla said:

Somebody has definitely forgotten about the Gordon Strachan era. Tiny crowds and utter dross on the pitch. 

We ALL tried to forget...thanks for reminding us! 😭

3 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I remember Robbo being booed off the pitch at the end of the season when Terry Venables came in to save us. We were established PL at the time. Mental when you look back. That gadge throwing their ST card at Steve McClaren was a particular low point, Mogga at Barnsley...nah, I've seen far bigger disconnects between club and fanbase than lately.

And it's not even close. If anything, this is one of the most connected I feel the fan base has been since relegation. Pulis, Warnock, monk, Strachan, Southgate, the end of moggas era - the fan base ranged from not really being bothered to being absolutely toxic.

There's a fair amount of worry around the place after our start to the season but people are invested and care and have a real desire to see us succeed. Previous years, people just didn't care when we were crap - myself included. That's the real low point as a fan. At least with anger there's passion. 

• Like 3

Compared to the attitude of the fans whilst Willie Maddren was manager, things are much more positive. No-one blamed him for the performances as they knew the squad had been sacrificed for the fabled sports centre, but I remember several games with attendances hovering around 4000 and people in the middle of the Holgate chatting to Chicken Runners without having to shout and you could hear the players offering advice to each other..   Gary Hamilton had colourful advice to most refs, so at least we got a little extra entertainment 🙂

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

I remember Robbo being booed off the pitch at the end of the season when Terry Venables came in to save us. 

On the old boro mailing list we used to have ARGs and PRGs: the anti- and pro-Robbo groups. By the time Venables stepped in there were very few PRGs left.

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We'll have a good shout at promotion next season just after we get relegated in this one.  Have faith 👍

image.gif.873907af79c5b3bc6f3240b72bcaf3c5.gif

2 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Can you name some lol?

Can only imagine how you felt about Monk, Pulis, Woodgate and Warnock the way you go on at Wilder 😂

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, LBP said:

Can only imagine how you felt about Monk, Pulis, Woodgate and Warnock the way you go on at Wilder 😂

Hated Garry Monk with a passion that still burns today and as much as I can criticise managers I've never despised any like I did him.

I liked pulis for the first 12 months because the results were really good. To be honest other than that nightmare 7 games we were barely out of the top 6 under him from memory. Yes the football was poor to watch and the playoff tie was horrible but I thought results wise pulis did ok. He left at the right time I had no hard feelings about it. 

Woody was poor but he wasn't helped at all I thought he was used by the club in a season that we clearly had no plans to spend anything probably due to a FFP cycle.

Grateful to warnock for steadying the sinking ship but got really annoyed by his antics and the performances by the back end of his full season and the start of last. Should have been let go at the end of 20/21 I didnt buy into the one last roll of the dice season. Only was vocal wanting him sacked about 6 weeks before it happened tho.

I'm not calling for wilder to be sacked but I really don't rate him that highly as a manager at the moment. I think he's overrated by many fans and the media.

Tactically none existent really his assistant deals with that and the only deviation is just chucking a load of forwards on at the end of a game and going long. The football is Jeckyl and Hyde from on half to another and game to game, either good or terrible. I don't see any signs that he's a really good motivator or man manager I think he's only really got a tune out of Tav consistently but that was more due to playing him week in week out in his best position. His idea of what players fit into his system are quite strange to say the least. For me he's very average in every facet of management but he's very stubborn when wrong and arrogant which aren't a good mix for long term success. I hope I'm wrong and he turns around the poor performances and results we've seen for months but I can't really see it happening, I think we will carry on being inconsistent.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Fair enough mate

I'd argue that Pulis and Wilder's PPG is virtually identical with Pulis' very slightly better, however Pulis was working with a much better squad (Bamford, Fletcher, Britt, Traore, Gibbo, Randolph, etc all walk into last seasons team for me) and that Wilder's managed a lot less games so any loss hurts his tally more 

I'd also argue that the football is worlds apart under Wilder compared to the dross that Pulis served up with such a talented squad and that 0.3 more points a game is not worth killing a fanbase's passion to watch their own team 

I agree under Wilder we've been inconsistent at times but we've had no squad depth and gaping holes in certain positions all whilst he's been here, not to mention that he joined mid season so had another managers team and only a January window to try bring his own players and yet still led us on a memorable cup run and made us one of the most in form teams in the league between him joining and the end of the season

Fix the squad depth and gaps in the starting 11 and I'm certain Wilder will have us top 6, my only concern is whether the recruitment team can deliver or not 

10 hours ago, LBP said:

Fair enough mate

I'd argue that Pulis and Wilder's PPG is virtually identical with Pulis' very slightly better, however Pulis was working with a much better squad (Bamford, Fletcher, Britt, Traore, Gibbo, Randolph, etc all walk into last seasons team for me) and that Wilder's managed a lot less games so any loss hurts his tally more 

I'd also argue that the football is worlds apart under Wilder compared to the dross that Pulis served up with such a talented squad and that 0.3 more points a game is not worth killing a fanbase's passion to watch their own team 

I agree under Wilder we've been inconsistent at times but we've had no squad depth and gaping holes in certain positions all whilst he's been here, not to mention that he joined mid season so had another managers team and only a January window to try bring his own players and yet still led us on a memorable cup run and made us one of the most in form teams in the league between him joining and the end of the season

Fix the squad depth and gaps in the starting 11 and I'm certain Wilder will have us top 6, my only concern is whether the recruitment team can deliver or not 

I didn't rate Pulis that highly as a manager I just thought he came in and done a good job with a team that was flagging under monk. Wilder had that excellent run when he first came in when he got the best out of the squad but we were playing slightly different back then we were more compact and playing more on the break which we are better at. What's concerning is that the longer he's been implementing his system the more we are struggling for wins. His win rate is being kept decent due to that bounce he had at the beginning. One thing I'll say for him is its nice to see us a bit better in possession at times but then again other times we are awful and that can be in the same game. I just don't think he's got enough in his locker to be successful with us but like I say I'll be happy to be proved wrong as I was when I didn't want him before we got him in. Definitely not calling for him to be sacked he needs more time unless we end up on a disastrous run.

• Like 2