oneBoro Forum

Stoke City vs Boro 2-2 (Watmore, Jagielka (og) )

stokeboro.png.66241897a3fafa25f4a97ea46f3d9d95.png

Introduction:

Well I didn't expect to be making this match thread so soon, whipped this up whilst at work before Downsouth loses his marbles at me. Although early days in the championship, Boro travel to Stoke without a win in our first three games. We all know we need more signings, but until then we have to start getting some results from our core squad before some of our fanbase starts having a meltdown.

Form
Boro go into this four games (cup included) without a win, so getting a result is paramount. Although performances haven't been bad, we have looked quite unstable at the back, shipping 7 goals in those four games.

image.png.da97f7ad736aed2ca770871cf31b4c25.png

Our opponents Stoke's form isn't too dissimilar, having only picked up one win against Blackpool, and crashing out the cup to 10 men Morecambe.

image.png.b528d7b8e408172971cf10a26a0ec04d.png

Interestingly both teams have similar expected goals stats, with us ranked 6th in the league for expected goals, and Stoke at 8th in the league.

image.png.067b740223ef6bb05a0110b14bf7c6d9.png

Despite shipping seven goals, we also have a better expected goals against metric as Stoke have also conceded 7 goals, but also conceded quite a few more chances.
image.png.d6ee8f2a6308b0a4167f64892c069a71.pngimage.png.ed61decadad581f8a870ff6e0d408db6.png

Standings:
This leaves the league table looking like:
table-stoke.thumb.png.9127daec7c852004a12f736642cfb044.png

View from the other side:
Having a browse on the Stoke City forums, they don't seem too pleased with the direction of the football club and Michael O'Neill in general. It all seems very similar to how our fanbase was under Tony Pulis. Here are some quotes courtesy of https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/board/2/stoke-city-fc

"Mr. 5 at the back, will find a way for us to lose on Wed. Then play the same way, to lose again on Sat."

"It just gets harder and harder to accept, or even believe, that Coco (my nickname for M O'N) is still here after the dross served up over the last couple of years. His team's performances and most of his transfer dealings have been bloody awful. Why is it that supporters can clearly see it but owners can't (or won't)?"

"Let's face it, he's going to struggle last until December. The guys a dead man walking and its just a matter of time. What a complete *** show from this club again."

"There is nothing more depressing in football than watching a manager slowly and grimly working his way towards the sack, with no hope of turning it around, and no hope of getting a quick sacking either. Our default position for the past 6 years has been that we’re managed by a bloke who is out of his depth or past his sell-by date, and is just waiting to be put out of his misery."

"When he was appointed I was not too happy. He won me over with what he did the first season. Midway through the 2nd season, could not bare to listen to the same drivel week ion week out from him.He's a nice human being, sadly that does not win you football matches. In saying that, I do believe the squad, if coached correctly can compete for the top 6, isn't the least expectation from a fan who has tasted the Premiership, who if I was honest, love the Championship better. Michael is a big name but really is not a big name. Good luck mate, learn domestic football in Scotland and come back stronger. I wish you all the best, you are a smashing bloke."

"He should of gone at the end of the season. Yet again the owners have given a manager a season to long . This season with all the negativity around him he needed a good start and we have played 3 an lost two. This manage will not get us anywhere near the play offs."

Talking points:

1. How many more signings do you think we need to compete for automatics?

2. Should Dael Fry be starting every game? How do you fit him in?

3. Starting lineup?

4. Would you consider Akpom our number 1 strker now, had you written him off previously?

5. Do you think we'll sign Jørgen Strand Larsen before the end of the window?

6. Chuba's favourite crisps? (brand AND flavour)

• Like 9
  • Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction: Well I didn't expect to be making this match thread so soon, whipped this up whilst at work before Downsouth loses his marbles at me. Although early days in the championship, Boro t

I've tried to turn a blind eye Rob, but you're doing it too often and enough is enough.....it's LOSE not LOOSE.  👍  

Lets not forget that Jones was sliced down for them to go in front. We were the better side, we created numerous chances, plenty of them clear cut enough to score. We deserved to win and then som

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Sorry, too many stats in that post for me, so here's a picture of a bear thinking he's human

smh I even included a crisp question, although that is a cute bear

Tomorrow will be another tough watch if the Boro defence continue to be as generous as Pally Fanny.

Five more signings, LCB, DM, two Strikers and probably another CB or midfield cover depending upon where Paddy plays.

I think Dael is a better CB than Lenihan from what I have seen so far but Lenihan is who Wilder wants.

3. Starting lineup?

Same again with perhaps Mowatt in for McGree (or Howson).

4. Would you consider Akpom our number 1 strker now, had you written him off previously?

Blindingly obvious that at this point in time he is our most "in-form" Striker, I always felt he was better than we saw and had been given a tough gig with Warnock. He fits Wilderball perfectly but it's a worry that Wilder himself didn't make the effort to see it until desperation set in.

I think the lad has his bags packed with MME stickers all over them.

Has to be Walkers Ready Salted (oven baked).

• Like 1

I think we need three starting XI signings - LCB, CDM, ST - and two good-quality squad additions - CM, ST. If I could choose the three first-team signings, I'd go for Greaves, Tom Davies and Muniz respectively.

I think he should, but Wilder disagrees. Maybe Lenihan will come good and has just had a shaky start - it happens.

3. Starting lineup?

3-4-1-2: Steffen > McNair Fry Lenihan > Jones Giles > Mowatt Crooks > McGree > Akpom Forss

I didn't write him off because I always felt he could work as part of a front two. Warnock never played him in the right way, but with a pacey striker beside him and McGree buzzing around behind him, I think he'll easily hit double figures this season.

Yes, but I am concerned by some of the mood music around this deal, from both player and selling club.

He looks like a ridge-cut McCoys man. I'll guess cheddar and onion.

• Like 1

Feels like a big game. Win and our start to the season looks fine given who we've played and the signings still to come.

Lose or draw and we're 8 points behind the play off pack and there's suddenly big pressure to win at Reading on Saturday. 

2 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Feels like a big game. Win and our start to the season looks fine given who we've played and the signings still to come.

Lose or draw and we're 8 points behind the play off pack and there's suddenly big pressure to win at Reading on Saturday. 

and they may not be able to play lumley against us which would be bad for us lol

That's not going to happen but the bare minimum to compete for play-offs is a non-project striker, Left centre-back and centre-midfielder.

Difficult question. I actually think Lenihan is best at RCB, I'm not convinced by him as a CB. He played RCB at Blackburn when they played with a 3. Fry though is more of a last line of defence CB who needs to work on his ability when he has the ball at his feet. So, I don't know.

3. Starting lineup?

It's been mentioned that Akpom twisted his knee during the match. Depending on whether Crooks is recovered, I think we might see a 3-5-1-1

Steffen

Dijksteel - Lenihan - Bola/McNair

Jones - Crooks/McNair - Howson - Mowatt - Giles

McGree

Forss

For now, yes. 

50/50. Depends on the internal politics at his club, I suspect.

Johnny's onion rings.

5016491123543_T1.jpg

1) At least three, preferably four

2) Yes, remove midfielder from defence

3) Depends on fitness of Akpom, Crooks and Fry. but definitely start Mowatt ahead of Howson

4) Temporarily. As a solo striker, yes but thought he could work as one of a pair

5) 

5)  image.thumb.png.03c5a4b82a7098e35d3d4d4f523c4aa5.png

Don't care for "cute" ursines, so here is a view of my bear backside

image.png.5e6e7a8c92d2c8345f619b5d115e5c19.png

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Johnny's onion rings.

I recently discoved Johnny's crisps after my local Nisa started selling them, they are actually incredible. Packed with so much flavour, just wish the packs were bigge!

• Like 2

I'm wondering if McGree could play in the 10 role and Mowatt and Crooks in a midfield 2 behind him. That might be a bit porous and it depends how much Wilder rates Howson really who has got through the most defensive work in the team.

I think 1 LCB, 1 CDM, 1 CM, 1 ST, assuming no more departures. I'm still worried about the depth of that midfield despite bringing Mowatt in. Perhaps with McNair still here that's less of an issue as he can move into midfield of course but would be nice if the manager could feel less like he has to play McNair in there when he ultimately doesn't want to.

I think we've started a bit shaky defensively and I don't think either Lenihan or Fry have ultimately made their strongest case this season to be the starting central CB. Fry certainly hasn't started with the same form he had when he took down Ronaldo and Kane last season, once he gets going he'll give a better account of himself I'm sure.

3. Starting lineup?

Mowatt for McGree, otherwise not sure I'd change much at this stage. If Akpom is out that will change, perhaps McGree left further up the pitch? I wouldn't be overly averse to Crooks coming back in for Dijksteel and pushing McNair back.

4. Would you consider Akpom our number 1 striker now, had you written him off previously?

He's certainly the most effective so far this season. Still early days as to whether he's our best striker, I'd be a little surprised if he contributed more than Forss or our intended #9 this season. As for the second part, on the balance of it, yes, I probably had written him off. In the back of my mind I wondered if he'd work better in this side than Warnock's because he wouldn't be the only one to improve and I expected he had more to offer than what Warnock tried to get out of him.

What I absolutely believe I've been proven wrong about so far this season is his hold-up play. He was quite lightweight under Warnock but despite his lack of match-fitness, he's shown himself to be somewhat difficult to handle for defenders with his back to goal. It has helped us get up the pitch on a number of occasions already. Getting more players around him willing to push up and help definitely helps with that, too.

We seem to be going hell for leather, utilising and trying to capitalise on every trick in the book. I think it's gonna be a late one, though, if it does go through.

Definitely a packet of Salt & Shake, Warnock criminally forgot to open and sprinkle the little blue bag when he was in charge.

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Stoke City vs Boro 2-2 (Watmore, Jagielka (og) )