oneBoro Forum

Referees performances

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so glad we don't have VAR in the Championship. Assistant referees still have some purpose. Plus, when we score, I can celebrate knowing it won't be chalked off ten minutes later because our strike

Oh aye.  "I swear down gaffer, all I said was 'Pray tell, wherefore didn't thee award a freekick?  I bethink yond wast foul playeth sir.'  and he just went mental and gave me another yellow card.

Ref for Leicester game is Chris Kavanagh, fresh from a run of 15 Prem games during which he has awarded seven penalties, only one of which was against the home team, but that was one of two he gave la

5 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Darren England in charge of Leeds game. Assisted by Akil Howson and Natalie Aspinall. Believe Akil is the first black ref since Uriah Rennie to officiate Prem games, so hopefully he enjoys similar career 

I'm so glad we don't have VAR in the Championship. Assistant referees still have some purpose. Plus, when we score, I can celebrate knowing it won't be chalked off ten minutes later because our striker didn't trim his pubes as well as the defender.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thought Mr Kitchen had a decent game. Didn't blow for everything but got most stuff right when he did.  Seemed to be able to detect difference between simulation and real knocks better than many (or he was just cold and wanted game to keep going) Hopefully similar style employed on Saturday as could get a bit tasty if Mr England has an off day

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Thought Mr Kitchen had a decent game. Didn't blow for everything but got most stuff right when he did.  Seemed to be able to detect difference between simulation and real knocks better than many (or he was just cold and wanted game to keep going) Hopefully similar style employed on Saturday as could get a bit tasty if Mr England has an off day

He was a little whistle happy, but not card happy luckily

Was not too impressed by Mr Whitestone especially after failing to take action over the extended pre match huddle then just wagged a finger when Morsy nobbled Rogers in the first minute and repeated the deed with a nasty hack on Crooks. He did get it right when Crooks evened the score but the "game management" with goalkicks and throw-ins was a contributing factor to making the match less enjoyable than if he had been a bit more proactive. Ipswich tactics well rehearsed and although they deserved the win, a stronger ref might have made things more even. Ref for Swansea game is Mr James Bell, relative newcomer at this level and brave enough to admit to being a Sheffield Wednesday fan. Averages 4 yellows per game and was in charge of the 2-1 loss to Blackburn booking Hackney and Lenihan, so can probably expect a few cards shown. Interestingly, he seems to show even-handedness between penalising home and away teams with a slightly higher number of home players being booked than away players, so hopefully not the sort to let crowd influence his decisions. Fingers crossed he keeps the trend going   

Port Vale ref is Michael Salisbury, best known for getting a VAR decision wrong in a Spurs match (though there are quite a few on that list). Seems to have become a bit card happy in the last month with 14 yellows in his last three games so could be a game where we need to watch ourselves. West Brom sees Keith Stroud return to the Riverside but thankfully only as the 4th official with James Linington being the guy in charge. 23 yellows in his last four games so think it might be another eventful game though both the WBA games he has done this year have been defeats for them, so hopefully he can extend the run. Our game at Rotherham will see our friend from the Preston victory Andrew Kitchen in the middle so hopefully we can get a similar result. He has only shown 11 yellows in his last four games, so obviously a bit of a slacker though to be honest I do think that the job is difficult due to the prevalence of simulation and a ref that is happy to let things go (within reason) makes the game better to watch than one that blows for every little thing and although we are past the cut off date for the five yellow suspensions, we don't need Crooks or Jones to get too close to ten until we get a few back from injury.   

• 2 weeks later...

Josh Smith in charge at Huddersfield and David Webb bringing in the New Year with Coventry. Josh was in charge of the game against Huddersfield in August at the Riverside, so hopefully we can improve on that showing. David was the man unlucky enough to have witnessed our performance at Hillsborough and the same applies to him. Was not favourably impressed by Mr. Linington yesterday as he didn't give a lot of protection to players receiving robust tackles and (just my opinion) let a player off with a yellow that definitely warranted a red. Isaiah often goes down seemingly easily but his acceleration means that a clumsy tackle is all that's needed to stop a move in its tracks and when he encounters players constructed like brick conveniences, he will always come off worse. Sometimes referees need to take the hard decisions even if it is early on in a game simply to assert their control and his weakness meant that a justified punishment did not occur. Was also a little confused by the linesman on the East side who seemed to be pretty vague on the position of throw-ins allowing one that should have been taken a yard from the corner flag to be taken almost in line with the 18 yard line, giving a long throw in a potentially much more advantageous angle. It is not the easiest of jobs and often thankless but sometimes standards are not what they should be and the poorer performances reflect adversely on those who are doing OK  

• Like 1

Because we won I'm kind of glad Kipre wasn't sent off as it would have left some doubt as to whether we could have beaten the Baggies full 11. As it was we put in an encouraging and uplifting performance with our second string which left us all with a rare boost of positivity this season.

Having said that he should have been sent off . The standard of Refereeing was one of the poorest I've witnessed in a long time along with his Assistants who I can only assume were "briefed" beforehand not to question him.

• Like 2

Robert Jones for the FA Cup game with Villa. Regular in Prem and occasional European games. Averages a couple of yellows a game and not shy on giving penalties (unlike some). As the Prem team is not at home, not sure if VAR will be utilised but Mr Jones will be used to it operating and hopefully will be able to cope without it. Not expecting much as Villa are really at least a level above us but hopefully we can at least make a game of it.

11 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Robert Jones for the FA Cup game with Villa. Regular in Prem and occasional European games. Averages a couple of yellows a game and not shy on giving penalties (unlike some). As the Prem team is not at home, not sure if VAR will be utilised but Mr Jones will be used to it operating and hopefully will be able to cope without it. Not expecting much as Villa are really at least a level above us but hopefully we can at least make a game of it.

VAR will be used at the Riverside, same as it was against Chelsea in the FA Cup last year

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

VAR will be used at the Riverside, same as it was against Chelsea in the FA Cup last year

Not for the Villa game it won't, they'l only use it at Premier League grounds in the third round of the FA Cup, for some daft reason, despite plenty of Championship clubs having used it before.

It'll be used in the Chelsea match though.

7 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Not for the Villa game it won't, they'l only use it at Premier League grounds in the third round of the FA Cup, for some daft reason, despite plenty of Championship clubs having used it before.

It'll be used in the Chelsea match though.

I thought they'd changed VAR rules for the FA Cup this season, ah well. 

Might actually be to our advantage seeing as Villa are used to playing with VAR in mind 

Not impressed by Mr Webb, inconsistent decisions and seemed to view shirt-pulling as more serious than chokeholds and all-in wrestling. Hopefully a while before we cross paths with him again. Performances like that would result in two-hour games if VAR was involved. Is there a correlation between the effectiveness of a referee and their height, or is it just coincidental?  

Ref for 1st leg against Chelsea is Sam Barrott, fairly new to Prem level with less than 100 games since getting onto EFL list five years ago. We do not seem to have crossed paths with him before but this season has shown at least one yellow per game (max 6) and racked up two reds and four pens, so appears to an official that won't let too much slide. Darren England fourth official so at least he shouldn't be making decisions