oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Leicester 1-0 (Greenwood)

Don't think Greenwood was close to man of the match, scored an absolutely inch perfect freekick, but I'd say Coburn was the best of our forwards.

It was defensively that I was more impressed today, which is funny considering how many potentially costly mistakes we made.

• Like 1
  • Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we've got to offer Carrick an extension. Whether he ultimately succeeds or not, he's out of contract in a year, and he's doing a good job here. Get him tied down if he's up for it.

Thought first half was such a good battle between the two teams. We ended the half with some good chances to boot, if Fry's header had gone in then he would have probably all but sealed his MOTM there

🤡

Posted Images

Credit to the defending aswell, we had a few shakey moments but a couple of them were our own making. Thought we dealt with them pretty well over all, dieng certainly won us the game just as much as greenwood.

I have been banging on a bit about our defending but today was different. Apart from a couple of stray passes out from the back our defensive play was excellent. I suppose they knew they had to be really on it today, as Leicester are a very good team.Hopefully the team has now got the message and will build on this excellent result. It's not too long to the Jan window and a clinical striker is an absolute must. O'Brien will be back and one or two others.

Brilliant performance from all of them today. I’ve not seen the stats but first half felt like they had a lot of the ball, but didn’t really trouble us. I thought we had the best chances. Second half, it felt like they were getting a foothold into the game and we started to get abit sloppy, I’d say that was more from tiredness than anything else which the amount of effort the lads gave I’m not surprised. Probably rode our luck a couple of times when they hit the post and the Dieng save. But I still think we deserved that win. We worked hard, kept our concentration up, and ground it out towards the end. 

Great goal from Greenwood, I was furious with the referee when he pulled it back! But he wasn’t even in my top 3 of performers today. Jones was my man of the match more for his defensive work, Rav probably next, with Coburn after him. Special mention to Howson and Fry with their man marking roles. 

Absolutely over the moon with that, onwards and upwards! 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Plastic Goat said:

I have been banging on a bit about our defending but today was different. Apart from a couple of stray passes out from the back our defensive play was excellent. I suppose they knew they had to be really on it today, as Leicester are a very good team.Hopefully the team has now got the message and will build on this excellent result. It's not too long to the Jan window and a clinical striker is an absolute must. O'Brien will be back and one or two others.

Yep backing Carrick is a must in January, I know people will mention the long term plan etc. But with a couple of good loan signings we will get another go at the play offs imo. Is it an opportunity we can pass up on if a good deal becomes available?

Even just McGree and O’Brien coming back will be like new signings, if we could add to that with an archer type loan we’ll be in a good position imo.

1 hour ago, Plastic Goat said:

Today was different because we had so little of the ball.  We were mostly defending as opposed to mostly attacking, which is what we tend to be doing most often.  I don't know if anything has actually changed or not in the wider context of how we play.  I hope so but I think probably not, today was just a different type of game.  We have players who can defend but a team that is quite open.  The game today meant we weren't open because we didn't have the ball but I don't believe that type of game is where our problems lie.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I think we've got to offer Carrick an extension.

Whether he ultimately succeeds or not, he's out of contract in a year, and he's doing a good job here.

Get him tied down if he's up for it.

Its 1,5 year, june 2025 but agree.

on their forum they seem to think they had the better chances and we never really had much. they are still blinkered and think they are better than they are. we could quite easily scored 3 or 4 today. crooks messes one up but keeper makes a good save, he actually made two very decent saves to keep it level before half time. if greenwood passes to crooks instead of shooting we almost have a tap in. i only recall dieng being stretched once. their other chances were all right at him near enough. for all that good possession they had second half, they didnt really trouble dieng except for one time. if they are talking about positions the grest chances and doing absolutely nothing, they had a load of them moments. bit like we usually have. lol. i hope they implode.

2 hours ago, Dynamo Kev said:

on their forum they seem to think they had the better chances and we never really had much. they are still blinkered and think they are better than they are. we could quite easily scored 3 or 4 today. crooks messes one up but keeper makes a good save, he actually made two very decent saves to keep it level before half time. if greenwood passes to crooks instead of shooting we almost have a tap in. i only recall dieng being stretched once. their other chances were all right at him near enough. for all that good possession they had second half, they didnt really trouble dieng except for one time. if they are talking about positions the grest chances and doing absolutely nothing, they had a load of them moments. bit like we usually have. lol. i hope they implode.

Probably a bit of recency bias from them. We had the better chances of a tight first half and they had the better chances in the second half which they dominated the last 25-30mins of. Dieng made 2-3 really good saves today, but it could have been 3-3 easily with better finishing.

Delighted we've won a tight game. These are the matches I've been concerned about not having an out and out goalscorer for. They demand someone who can get a goal out of nothing or only need one chance. Greenwood stepped up to that plate today. And let's be honest it's a fantastic hit. Eat your heart out David Beckham

An excellent result with a lot of standout performances.  Dieng, Fry, Jones, VDB, Howson all really good. Greenwood has tunnel vision , at times, but thats 4 in the last 6 games now so what do I know. I reckon that if we dont go up , there will be bottom 6 Premier clubs - Bournemouth etc , sniffing around Coburn the way he is progressing.