oneBoro Forum

Stoke City Statement

stokecityfc.com can today confirm that German international Robert Huth has joined the Club in a £5,000,000 deal.

The 25-year-old central defender, who has won 19 international caps for his country, completed his move from Championship club Middlesbrough after agreeing personal terms at the Britannia Stadium.

The deal could eventually rise to £6,000,000 which would make it a Club record surpassing the £5,500,000 paid for Dave Kitson last year.

In announcing the arrival of Huth, City's Chief Executive Tony Scholes commented: "This is a fantastic signing for the Club because Robert gives us international pedigree and Premier League experience as well.

"Our manager Tony Pulis has been looking to strengthen the squad with the intention of taking us to an even higher level after we achieved a magnificent twelfth place in the Premier League last season and we are confident that Robert is the type of player who can help us achieve that aim."

Huth made his debut in English football with Chelsea in 2001 and he went on to make 42 League appearances at Stamford Bridge before Middlesbrough persuaded him to move north to the Riverside in 2006.

He told stokecityfc.com: "I am grateful to Stoke for the opportunity to play in the Premier League so soon again. It was really a no brainer to come here once I found out that this Club wanted to sign me

Well there you officially have it! £5 million for a German international centre back! Sums this club up in a sentence!!

Raising up to £6m hopefully. Didnt we pay £5m for him though when he was a German centre back?

He told stokecityfc.com: "I am grateful to Stoke for the opportunity to play in the Premier League so soon again. It was really a no brainer to come here once I found out that this Club wanted to sign me

We can`t really read to much into that statement by Huth.

What`s he gunna say................." Well I really didn`t want to leave Boro and only came becasue Stoke where the only club who offered the right transfer fee "........................I don`t think so.

Yeh I reckon he wanted to play prem footy but, I also believe him when he said he didn`t want to leave.

Huth did the dirty on boro.

How many people do you want to blame today Ibby.

1st it was Southgate, then it was Gibson, then Gibson and lamb, now your blaming Huth for leaving.

Have a word with yaself son............Southgate didn`t want to sell Huth and Huth didn`t want to leave.

Huth did the dirty on boro.

Absolute rubbish!! You can't blame him one bit. Footballers careers are relatively short, he has a chance to play in the World Cup at the end of the season.... I agree, it really was a no brainer.

I'm sorry to see him go, but if we had to cash in somewhere, then it had to be the defence, that's where we have the most cover.