oneBoro Forum

A Baggie In Peace

Hello lads, was just reading the Reading vs Boro thread. The general concensus was that Mowbray has to shore up the defence. Well considering he was a defensive player, that part of his managerial skills is extremely lacking. We did so well under him because both the midfield and forwards were all able to score but the defence was always prone. We beat teams like Coventry 6-2 and often have to come from behind. We rarely kept a clean sheet. Anyway good luck for the rest of the season. I hope you stay up. Oh almost forgot to ask is Mark Venus still his no.2? best wishes 9977

Unfortunately Baggie, Mogga has not inherited the greatest team and his hands have been tied in terms of the players that he's been able to bring in. We can't really compare him to the teams he's had in the past because he's not had the opportunity to structure this one in the way he would have liked.

However, he has certainly improved the players that he has got here, but he's had no luck at all with injuries.

Good luck yourself, looks like you're going to have a similar end to the season as we are

I remember when we let Morrison go that it was considered good business for a player who many , myself included , thought him lightweight.

He has since done well but at the time we sold him he was not what we needed.

In answer to Baggies original thread I think that most Boro fans would take the type of football that got them promoted

Do not agree 86.Please tell me which players were so comfortable on the right,that it allowed Morrison to be sold? Infact it was such a poor bleeding decision,one of Southgates worst.We have not had a natural right sided player since.Hey I am not saying he's Stanley Matthews,but there was no-one in comparison to fill JM's space.

Southgate hated skillful players,thats why he bought runners & plodders.GS1 would never have signed Zamamma,or even Kink for that matter.

I am happy with Mogga,though his substitutions were a bit awry on Saturday.But hell I can live with it.

Its too early to judge Mogga at the moment until he has time to build his own squad of players. Also like somebody has already said he has been dealt a bad hand with all the injuries that we have had especially in defence.

cheers for taking the time to come on here though. What is your thoughts on Roy Hodgson? What went wrong with Di Matteo? Do you think you will stay up?

I wish we could have Morrison and Brunt back at our club right now.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Id be happy if Blackburn, Birmingham and Stoke went down :)

I second that Linthorpian. Always a bad decision. I do recall the lightweight issue but it wasn't enough imo. We sold him for peanuts too. When he came through the academy he was constantly performing better than Downing and people thought he would be the better player and the best one of our prospects from the youth system.

Also agree re subs on saturday. He only really had 2 to make due to steel but they were iffy. Hey Ho, I don't mind conceeding a few if we score more. This philosophy suits me and I can deal with the odd game that we mess up.

I remember when we let Morrison go that it was considered good business for a player who many , myself included , thought him lightweight.

He has since done well but at the time we sold him he was not what we needed.

In answer to Baggies original thread I think that most Boro fans would take the type of football that got them promoted

The thing is that style is too Kamikaze, you saw how we did in the premier under Mowbray. Once your midfield and forwards get found out its big trouble. I worry for you in that at both ours and Celtic, Mowbray has shown an inability to figure out a decent defence. Also to play Mowbray "WBA style" and I apologise if this sounds like a troll its certainly not intended to be one and no offence is meant by it. You need top teir Championship-Lower Teir Prem players. Your Diomansy Kamara's Your Kevin Phillip's and your Jason Kuomas's, were at Mowbray's disposal when we were in the Championship under him. They scored 75 goals between them that season. It seems to me that strachen has left behind a squad that nowhere near that calibre. I hope you can rebuild yourselves next season I really do;

Its too early to judge Mogga at the moment until he has time to build his own squad of players. Also like somebody has already said he has been dealt a bad hand with all the injuries that we have had especially in defence.

cheers for taking the time to come on here though. What is your thoughts on Roy Hodgson? What went wrong with Di Matteo? Do you think you will stay up?

Good luck for the rest of the season. Id be happy if Blackburn, Birmingham and Stoke went down :)

i wish we could have brunt and morrison back aswell but only cos we are struggling in the champs, if we were still in the prem with downing johnson etc we wouldnt touch them with a barge pole . we cant keep players just in case we get relagated.

at first I was upset that Di Matteo was sacked, but, after it happened more and more rumours surfaced of him losing the dressing room. Now with benefit of hindsight, it kind of makes sense. Robert Koren signing for Hull, instead of going to the prem. Roman Bednar's permanant loan to MKE Ankaragücü SK. Also he really was an inexperienced manager after only being at the MK Dons for a season. After his initial run of great results in the prem, He just had no answer to stop the slide. He will one day no doubt be a great manager who will comeback to bite us on our ***. For now I think Hodgson's our best bet for Prem stability.

Thank you for your reply Baggie. I liked Di Matteo (even though I shouldnt after that goal in the cup final) but then you have a very experienced manager that replaced him. It would be great if you stayed up.Good luck for the rest of the season.

Mowbray strikes me as a pretty intelligent guy, I'm pretty sure he'll have analysed the mistakes he's made in his relatively short managerial career so far and will no doubt be looking to not make the same mistakes again.

...that's what I'd like to think anyway.