oneBoro Forum

Steve Bruce looking at Bennett and McDonald

Yeah VB, if he goes to one of those teams he's not going to play is he? If we sold him like that it could be with a loan back agreement but like everyone - himself included - I'd like to see him stay. He can't be on much cash so to replace him with someone as good you'd have to offer more in wages which could eat into the transfer fee and work out as false economy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

hope bennett stays - i wouldnt have thought he was on daft money is he?

wouldnt be bothered about losing mcd - im sure TM could find a good, cheaper replacement.

just looked at the link. i like the bit where it says bennett made further progress with strachan. haha good one sky!

He did!!Not every thing Strachan did was bad.MaccyD is the only goalscorer fit with 7 & he's been playing in midfiel nigh on all season.GS2 also gave chances to Luke Williams & Franks.Now whether their progression had more to do with McAllister I can not say, but GS2 picked the teams.

Sky don't get it too wrong often,so give credit where its due.:exclamation:

I wouldn't want either player to go,but being a pragmatist I know that every player has his price.I only hope that all the money raised from the sales doesn't go straight into the Save Gibsons Arris Appeal:angel:

Some money must be given to Mogga,or why bring him here? Or is it loaves & fishes time?

hope bennett stays - i wouldnt have thought he was on daft money is he?

wouldnt be bothered about losing mcd - im sure TM could find a good, cheaper replacement.

just looked at the link. i like the bit where it says bennett made further progress with strachan. haha good one sky!

He did!!Not every thing Strachan did was bad.MaccyD is the only goalscorer fit with 7 & he's been playing in midfiel nigh on all season.GS2 also gave chances to Luke Williams & Franks.Now whether their progression had more to do with McAllister I can not say, but GS2 picked the teams.

Sky don't get it too wrong often,so give credit where its due.:exclamation:

i didnt say everything strachan did was bad. i was just implying that bennett didnt really make any progress under him, strachan barely played him and he would have been on his way if we'd have got an offer for him.

i remember strach dragging him off about 5 minutes into the second half of the preston game last year which it seemed was just to humiliate the lad. unless he had picked up an injury (which he hadn't) why not just take him off at half time?

it was only when mowbray came, put an arm round his shoulder and told him he was good enough and showed some belief in him that he started to make progress.

Steve Bruce knows that if he buys Bennett for £3m now in 2 years he should be worth double that. He has a habit of picking up players and getting them to achieve, Catts is a prime example. We thought Wigan paid over the odds but they made a huge profit.

Sunderland seem to be keen to cut their cloth a little more economically these days and a forward who can link the midfield and score goals is worth his weight, again £3m would be cheap by Prem prices so I don't think Bruce is that daft after all he's won nothing but is never out of a job is he? :huh:

I suppose we see the game differently Eaton.

Me I see Cattermole going backwards yes Wigan made a tidy profit but that was Bruce once again behind the sale.

Cattermole will never achieve that England call up unless England are desperate at this present time.I am not saying that under another manager Cattermole may become that player we all saw "once".

Has for Bennett being worth double in a few years time maybe maybe not,but I don't reckon Bruce will be there if it happens.

There is a lot of unrest in that camp, and it will get worse next year when they are fighting off relegation.

SgtPepper

I never thought for one minute that Catts is worth what they paid for him (Wigan or Sunderland), at 18 he looked like he could be one to watch, but let's face it he isn't much better now than he was then, kicks the man more than the ball.

As for young Bennett, left backs seem to be rare, English LB's even more so. A Half-good season in the top flight and his price would double. But as with all our youth products, they've had a painful learning curve this season and hopefully it'll pay dividends for US next season as we move slowly forward.

To Boro-unger

i didnt say everything strachan did was bad. i was just implying that bennett didnt really make any progress under him, strachan barely played him and he would have been on his way if we'd have got an offer for him.

I'm sorry,but I disagree,why the Sky ha ha jibe?

i remember strach dragging him off about 5 minutes into the second half of the preston game last year which it seemed was just to humiliate the lad. unless he had picked up an injury (which he hadn't) why not just take him off at half time?

You base all that on 1 match?

it was only when mowbray came, put an arm round his shoulder and told him he was good enough and showed some belief in him that he started to make progress.

Again,I disagree,but as I said before,& it has been said by other posts,that a lot of players improved under Gary Mac's coaching.

To Boro-unger

I'm sorry,but I disagree,why the Sky ha ha jibe?

You base all that on 1 match?

Again,I disagree,but as I said before,& it has been said by other posts,that a lot of players improved under Gary Mac's coaching.

right. a quick google reveals:

others who think sky were having a laugh when they said he made progress under strachan : http://www.fansonline.net/middlesbrough/mb/view.php?id=2533605

some quotes from joe bennett himself: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/8706710.Bennett_bounces_back_after_cold_shoulder_from_Strachan/

"It was difficult,” said Bennett...I was brought off at half-time and that was really hard to take...I couldn’t really get my head around that for quite a long time...It was his (Strachan’s) decision so I can’t really complain about it, but it was obviously hard to take and it was never really explained." how are you supposed to make progress it the manager doesnt even tell you why he brought you off??

another quote: "I think Gordon Strachan mainly fancied the experienced lads. I don’t think he wanted the younger lads in the team...It affected me. There were times when I was really down and I probably needed an arm around me. But that arm wasn’t really there.” - shows a lack of support from strach to the younger players.

and again: “The last manager decided he didn’t want me in the team, so there was nothing I could do about that. But a new manager has come in and put me in the team straightaway, so things have changed right around...It’s nice to be wanted again. The new manager has come in and put me straight in the team and that’s great for me."

all adds up to strachan not liking him. Which in turn affected his performances, looking at some of the match reports from the strach era, it said he was far too slow ingetting back and looked dissinterested. I was also trying to work out how many times strach had actually played him and worked out that it was 9 or 10 appearances max. in 1 and a half seasons. cant have made much progress in 9 or 10 appearances can he? (not to mention being played out of position in some of them) unlike the 25-26 matches which he has played for mowbray/proc in the caretaker period.

No one made any progress under Strachan FULL STOP.

In fact everyone and the club as a whole went alarmingly backwards, how can anyone have any goods words for Strachan, just look at the difference and improvement under Mogga!

Steve Bruce knows that if he buys Bennett for £3m now in 2 years he should be worth double that. He has a habit of picking up players and getting them to achieve, Catts is a prime example. We thought Wigan paid over the odds but they made a huge profit.

Sunderland seem to be keen to cut their cloth a little more economically these days and a forward who can link the midfield and score goals is worth his weight, again £3m would be cheap by Prem prices so I don't think Bruce is that daft after all he's won nothing but is never out of a job is he? :huh:

I suppose we see the game differently Eaton.

Me I see Cattermole going backwards yes Wigan made a tidy profit but that was Bruce once again behind the sale.

Cattermole will never achieve that England call up unless England are desperate at this present time.I am not saying that under another manager Cattermole may become that player we all saw "once".

Has for Bennett being worth double in a few years time maybe maybe not,but I don't reckon Bruce will be there if it happens.

There is a lot of unrest in that camp, and it will get worse next year when they are fighting off relegation.

Cattermole has not gone backwords at all. He is twice the player that left Boro. He obviously needs to sort his temper out but he's a good combative midfielder and his distribution has improved a lot.

Flemming wrote:

(Cattermole has not gone backwords at all. He is twice the player that left Boro. He obviously needs to sort his temper out but he's a good combative midfielder and his distribution has improved a lot. )

That is your opinion I see it differently.

Under Bruce he learns hardly anything apart from sticking the boot in and I am afraid it shows.

He is a liability to have on the field and whilst he may have improved somewhat,that is only because he has been playing in the PL, occasionally when he's not injured or suspended.

I still believe thats alot slower than he would have done at Boro under the schooling from Boateng

Parlour/Mendy and a decent manager like McClaren.

Still we all see the game differently don't we. :angel:

Fair enough you disagree. I think his passing/ball retention has improved a lot. I do agree though he is a bit of a liabillity in regards to his discipline.

I still believe thats alot slower than he would have done at Boro under the schooling from Boateng

Parlour/Mendy and a decent manager like McClaren.

^ I dont get how you can say that though when I remember you making a thread about how our players always improve after leaving us, with you suggesting that our coaches were not up to it.