oneBoro Forum

Goalkeeper coincidence?

Whilst a lot of members on the forum have welcomed the return of Rhys Williams (me included) has anyone given much thought regarding the inclusion of Smith in goal which I believe has improved our defence enourmously.

I mentioned this in another thread recently but is it purely coincidence that we seem to be stronger at the back since he stood between the sticks or am I miles off??

I think Steele is a good young keeper with a LOT TO LEARN and I will not critisize him becauase I think he was forced into a situation too early and has not had time to take stock of things except for his injury which I think had not happened would have resulted in him still being in goal even now.

I am of the opinion that once the loan period has finished we should try to retain Smith at all costs as personally I do not think this is coincidence at all. We should recognise just what a good job the lad is doing and hope that he becomes our number 1 for the forseeable future.

I would second that DS Smith as a lot of attributes that have gone a long way to calming this young defence down.

Rhys Williams as been a great help also in this, but I would have imagined after such a long period out that his first few games he was probably holding back a little until he got his 100% fitness back.

We all know how Williams is and Bates for that matter and what with Bennet and McMahon next season touchwood will be a very interesting time with Smith signed and Steele on the bench.

Would'nt it be nice also to see Digard comeback into the fray.. :D

Whilst I think Steele has got a great future ahead of him I would like us to sign an experienced keeper in the summer.If its Smith then that would be great.

Sgt ... Digard wont be kicking another ball for MFC again if Mowbray can get rid of him.The highest paid player on our books. His salary alone would probably have been 50% of Blackpools promotion winning squads wage bill.

The arguement for experience at the back has raged all season long on this forum since losing McManus. I certainly wouldn't blame Steele, he's been thrown in at the deep end in a relatively inexperienced defence, however I do think his injury was a bit of a blessing in disguise, it forced our hand and we do seem better for it.

Obviously, we will have Coyne back in a few weeks, but I question his quality. We've struggled ever since we let Schwarzer go, I would like to see us bring a decent experienced keeper in and properly nurture Jason

It all depends because I think steele was doing just fine behind wheater and bates. One left, one got injured and suddenly we were awful and had much more pressure on steele. I think our biggest problem was that we could ashford to bring steele in with the experienced defence but once they were gone steele suddenly had nothing in front of him to help. I watched the reading game and our two centre backs were a joke.hopefully they recover but with such an inexperieced defence we needed the goalkeeperto be experienced. Don't underestimate the impact of williams though.the lad is a fantastic footballer and has certainly made a huge difference. Against reading with those two centrebacks we could have had peter schmeichel in his prime and still got tortured.

So what would you do with a player that will recieve £40 grand aweek next season no matter whether he plays or not.?

Personally if I was Mowbray I would get him out on that field and in the shop window,unless of course he is injured again then its the treatment table for the last part of his contract and theres nowt that can be done or gained.

Personally like I say it would be nice to see him on the pitch and you never know under Mowbray he maybe a different player and we may yet get a couple of bob from him in the transfer market say in January.

also have to consider that jason steele has a big big future ahead of him in football and the best way for him to achieve that is by playing first team football and i would like to see him do that for us but not if its detrimental to the team, as it is i think Smith should stay between the sticks for the rest of the season as steele has looked like he has needed to be taken out of the firing line, in the summer if smith is available on the cheap then i say go for him and let the two of them fight it out.

So what would you do with a player that will recieve £40 grand aweek next season no matter whether he plays or not.?

Personally if I was Mowbray I would get him out on that field and in the shop window,unless of course he is injured again then its the treatment table for the last part of his contract and theres nowt that can be done or gained.

Personally like I say it would be nice to see him on the pitch and you never know under Mowbray he maybe a different player and we may yet get a couple of bob from him in the transfer market say in January.

yeh but play digard and hell be injured then hes worth nothing

Well seems that most agree that Jason needs some help in furthering his development and Smith has fitted in very well.

yep, would agree with that. think we would be ok putting steele back in as no.1 next season after a few months break from the firing line. However i think if we could get smith for relatively cheap then i definitely would. i rate a choice between smith+steele a lot more favourable than a choice between steele+coyne.

yeh but play digard and hell be injured then hes worth nothing

It's a good point sgt and I totally agree. This team that Digard's loaned to, if they are aren't paying a decent proportion of his wage or won't then we might as well have the benefit of his services and if he gets injured so be it. There has been so much money wasted at this club anyway so get him in, it's not going to put us in receivership.

We should have invested in a good keeper years ago.Both Garth & Gord persisted with Skip Jnr.Why I do not know.Then Gareth gets Coyne,who at best is a cover keeper or lower league standard.Though has better positioning sense then Jones ever had.Also Jones never talked to his defence.So the back 4 never knew if he were coming for the ball or not.

We should keep Smith if we can.We should not put too much pressure on Jason,let him develop naturally.