oneBoro Forum

Youth Adam Jackson scored for Eng U17s

as they beat spain 2-1 to qualify for the euro championship, they had to beat spain and Jackson put England into a 2-0 lead and spain pulled one back very late on.

congrats to the lad. I hope he has a bright future and eventually comes through to the first team. Great to hear of yet another academy player doing well and representing the club well. I wonder if apart from West Ham any other club has had a more successful academy than us Boro!??? Makes me proud that this is what we are good at and I hope we can continue this but perhaps with the prospect of keeping them rather than helping the premier league clubs!

congrats to the lad. I hope he has a bright future and eventually comes through to the first team. Great to hear of yet another academy player doing well and representing the club well. I wonder if apart from West Ham any other club has had a more successful academy than us Boro!??? Makes me proud that this is what we are good at and I hope we can continue this but perhaps with the prospect of keeping them rather than helping the premier league clubs!

Here here... well said!

Manchester united academy productivity wise makes ours look non league. Evertons is also top noth at producing professional players. We are not on the same page as either of those sides.

Believe it or not Chelsea's is very very good as well.

Additoinally Southampton and Fore3sr are very productive probably below Boro though.

Well said mate i agree. :). Also congrates to the lad for scoring his goal.

I think some of the other clubs are catching up and taking over us but I seem to recall an article a couple of years ago that said Boro had the most productive academy at that point. Either way we still have a good academy that is continuing to produce good footballers for us.

Im not denying the fact we do have a good academy, for our club size we have an amazing academy.

We at no point though have had the most productive academy (as in players produced who have played professional football) unless its in the sense of players currently at the club who came through. But thats a massive side of having little finances available to bring in players.

Ive actually looked into it, Boro have produced around 57 players who have played at least 1 league game for some club. Of those 57, 7 are full internationals (2 England) and 8 U21 internationals (7 English).

I think chelsea have around 80+ players, 12 full internationals (2 English) and 14 U21 internationals (7 Eng)

Manchester united have over 90 players playing a game and 15 internationals and 17+ U21's

(taking into account players coming through the academy system that started 98/99)

Im not denying the fact we do have a good academy, for our club size we have an amazing academy.

We at no point though have had the most productive academy (as in players produced who have played professional football) unless its in the sense of players currently at the club who came through. But thats a massive side of having little finances available to bring in players.

Ive actually looked into it, Boro have produced around 57 players who have played at least 1 league game for some club. Of those 57, 7 are full internationals (2 England) and 8 U21 internationals (7 English).

I think chelsea have around 80+ players, 12 full internationals (2 English) and 14 U21 internationals (7 Eng)

Manchester united have over 90 players playing a game and 15 internationals and 17+ U21's

(taking into account players coming through the academy system that started 98/99)

yes but a large percentage of the man utd and chelsea youths are bought or brought in from overseas or shipped in from miles away, i would think we have more from a 30mile radius go on to be professionals than almost anyone.

Middlesbrough are not adverse to bringing people from foreign climates.

Marinos, Rouchias & Otte, before them Siako, Bassi and Goulon. (if it works out at 1 per year then thats 10% of the academy, i suspect its around 1.3 per year over the academy period but im not in a position to look that up right now)

Nordgren, Lemaire, Jones, Williams, Wilkshire, kanten, van geele etc The big clubs are not the only ones bringing in foreign talent.

There are travel limits that ensure clubs do not take youngsters from outside the areas, u21 must be withing 60 minutes drive and 12-16s 90 minutes, there are ways around this, and again the big clubs are not the only ones to use the loop holes.

Yes united have more foreign players, as do chelsea, they are able to chase the cream from the world, we are not. We still look abroad very regularly though.

• 2 weeks later...