oneBoro Forum

Charlie Wyke - One to Watch

I would just like to know what people think of Wyke? i have kept a close eye on the reserve results especially last season and the amount of times his name has been on the score sheet is unbelievable.

I really do hope Mowbray has had a look at him because i reckon he will be one for the future.

Im not to sure on how Adam Reach done in the reserves but he made it to the first team, i would like Mowbray to give Wyke a shot maybe a Carling Cup game since this season will be a big one for us.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

uh oh, you'll get Prowler started on this one. I've nevevr seen him play (never watches a reserve or youth game honestly) but all review says he's good. if you have a look on this section of the forum, theres a post covering all the reserve/youth players and i'm sure theres a good piece from Powlay last season about Wyke

PS Powlay is like the Boro Ghost of Christmas Future with his knowledge of the prospects :)

In reply to the opening post, So you think a player who you have never seen kick a ball should get a first team oppertunity based on a season of under 18 and reserve football?

There seems to be a lot of hype in a player whom very few people have actually watched week in week out. Now im going to go out on a limb and say people like me are part of the reason people seem to rate Wyke as the great boro hope without having seen him, because it gets mentioned regarding appearances and goals etc.

Whilst there have been appearances for some of Wykes year (Williams, Gibson, Ripley and Reach) only Williams has more than the single appearance. Ripley only got an appearance because of injury, Gibson and Reach only due to it being near the end of the season and 7 players being on the bench.

Im not really sure throwing a inexperienced kid on for a tough cup game ahead of players who probably are ahead of him like Miller, Main & Williams would really be benficial, if he stunk then it could end his Boro career? He isnt going to force his way past those mentioned and jump on the bench in a league game, so a single one off game might not be as beneficial as some think. He needs games, be that reserbe first then maybe first team somewhere al la gibson, but does he need them here at Boro where some peoples expextations are already massivley too high?

Do you think he's far away form being ready to be loaned out to a decent L2/average L1 club?

PS I do think "albeit unfounded with any physical experience of the reserves or youth teams" that we should be looking at loaning out some more players to other teams. It seemed to help alot of the last crop when we were in the PL, Jinky in particular comes to mind :)

dificult to disagree with Powlay. Wyke is being massively over hyped. Having said that he has enormous potential.

For those who have not seen him he is tall and spindly and will need time to put on a bit of beef to cope with the "kick him up in the air" defenders of the championship. He seems slow but probably isn't in the same way as Peter Crouch seems slow but probably isn't (he's nowhere near as tall as Crouch )

The first twice I saw him he scored with the only opportunity he had and that is his strength. He makes the most of what he is given. If he joined the Championship side now he might well look about as useful as Lee Miller.

Unless my memory is defective the last regular scorer in the reserves was Danny Graham but do remember how long it took him to become seriously effective. There have been others who have scored well Gaz Martin and Franksy are two who spring to mind. Charlie may be better then them but he needs pitch time to prove how effective he can be against big serious defenders

From what I've seen of him in the reserves, he looks like he's got the finishing ability but comes up a bit short in other areas like physicallity, doesn't have the body strength needed to be able to cope with big centre halves yet, I'm sure that will come though, I think he needs another year to develop physically before he could be considered for a trip away to a lower league club on loan.

For me he came up a little bit short last season in the reserves as he only just broke through as a second year and that is to be expected but this season I'm sure he will improve further as a third year and might make a bit more impact, as his overall game improves. He's coming along nicely but first team football maybe next year out on loan.

If not still there is no rush.

• 11 months later...