oneBoro Forum

The future of the PL

Good morning Ladies and gentlemen.

I am here to clear up what will be happening with the PL this season.

Firstly, thank you to everyone that voted for me to be one of the co-runners of the PL this season. I have chosen Welshy to help me co-run for two reasons. The first is that contacting him for me is a lot easier than contacting Alex and due to things that I will discuss later, being able to contact whoever I am working with is very important. The second is that I worked with Welshy last season, it was very enjoyable and we worked very well together.

Secondly, the PL will be split into two sections this season. For the first half of the season (up until New Years Day) there will be one large league, with everyone predicting against each other. Each correct prediction is worth a point and the person with the most cumulative points is top. The second half of the season sees us return to match play, with the league being split into two different leagues. The points won here will be added on to your other points at the end of the season and the person with the highest total can consider themselves the champion.

Thirdly, the league will start NEXT Saturday, with Welshy taking the helm for the first two weeks as I am away on work commitments.

Fourthly, I am still working on finding someone who will volunteer to create a website and help me to run it as I'm not the most tech savvy in that department

Finally, I would like people's opinions on whether or not a twitter and facebook page would be nice or useful to have

Thank you for reading,

Jesus

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Hi, thanks for this Jesus. I'll do all of you proud I promise.

Can you clarify how the points are gained each week for the first part of the season?

Will it still be 1 point per correct fixture, plus 1 point for the first goalscorer in the Boro game (or another game if the Boro aren't playing) plus 2 points for the correct score in the Boro game?

Cowman4boro, I'll put up an earlybirds first week of the season article before I leave work today.

I can live with that..

I want an advantage for someone who guesses the first goalscorer/final score but not such an advantage that it doesn't give their opponant a chance.

Okay, cool.

"Secondly, the PL will be split into two sections this season. For the first half of the season (up until New Years Day) there will be one large league, with everyone predicting against each other. Each correct prediction is worth a point and the person with the most cumulative points is top. The second half of the season sees us return to match play, with the league being split into two different leagues. The points won here will be added on to your other points at the end of the season and the person with the highest total can consider themselves the champion."

Not too clear on the process at the end of the season Jesus. So after Xmas one would play against someone and get 3 points for a win - where as in the first half we could score 8,9 or even 1 points for correct predictions? Then these two totals would be added up? Not sure if this makes sense?

But whatever good luck to Jesus and Welshy - I am sure you will do a good job.

Aye, I'm not in favour of combining the scores from both separate parts of the seasons, Jesus. They should be kept independant. With the first half of the season purely about members trying to get into the top division after the split.

I'm after simplicity here, mate.

Right, I suggest that the first part of the season runs until & including the matches on Monday 2nd January 2012. That means we get through the Christmas period in one piece. Leaving the split until Saturday 7th January 2012 (which should be the 3rd round of the FA Cup).

That will give us enough fixture days after this period to complete the season (although depending on numbers we may need some Tuesday night fixtures - no probs).

So between now and Monday 2nd January 2012 a fixtures article will go up every week (will be easier for me to put this up every Monday morning - unless it's a midweek set of fixtures).

10 fixtures to predict on - 1 point for a correct results, + 1 point for the correct scorer in boro game, and 1 point for the correct final score in boro game. Giving a total of max 12 points per fixture list.

All predictions by members accumulated each week will be added together on a weekly basis to form one league table. Hence if last night's friendly predictions where forumlated as such the table would look like such.

Boro-unger 9

Vector 9

Barticus 7

Alex 6

etc..

down to

Welshy 4

Once we hit Monday 2nd January 2012, the top half of the league will form the 'A League', the bottom half will for the 'B League'. All points from the first half of the season are disgarded. The two leagues will play a matchplay format (just like we've been doing in the friendlies). So if we have 40 players in total, they will form 2 leagues of 20, and in each league you will play every oppanant once. You will predict in the same way as in the first part of the season, but a win against your opponant will be worth 3 points, a draw will be worth a point, and a loss... zero.

The non-predictor average score rule obviously won't apply in the first part of the season as you won't be playing an opponant. However, I will need to speak to Jesus on confirmation of this rule when the leagues split.

The overall champion will be the winner of the 'A League'.

For the 2012/13 season we should start from scratch again. Meaning that everyone has equal chance every single season.

Thoughts, Jesus?

My pleasure, Maccarone.

I just want a clear set of rules in place, hopefully as stated above and then we can all sit back and enjoy.

I would also add that we won't know the numbers in each split league until the season gets underway. So if the numbers aren't as high as 20 in each league (say 16 etc) then we can hopefully squeeze in a Prediction League knockout cup or sommat similar.

I know that we made a participation list, but I think we should just put up a fixture article for week 1 and see how many we get. Simply because some people will have put their name down and wont take part, and vice versa. I'd love to get about 40 of us, but the main priority is that we get regular predictiors regardless of how many of them we get.

Cheers, Jesus.

We've got to work together on this, so if one of us isn't happy about something then we must express our concerns, and I can promise you that if you have any issues I will work them through with you, and vice versa.

The main thing is that we make it easy to understand, and hence easy to enjoy for everyone.

I'm also very keen to keep things on oneboro, as I want the banter/fun that comes with predicting. I found that when the website was created (as fantastic as it was) it took people away from the 606 articles, and I'm extremely keen to avoid that happening here too. For me it has to be about the interaction of members that a well organised competition will bring. It is hard to know what to do about the previous members who aren't currently on oneboro. I have sent 2/3 emails in the past week re: the Predictions League, but have had very little reply from anyone. It could be the case that they don't check their emails, but also I haven't got (nor I doubt have you) too much time to chase people, and it is a shame. A real shame infact. But people do know we are here, so the onus is on there side to either pop on here or let us know that they want to take part but can't make an account for any reason.

I have to say though that Gully had me in stiches with his reply. Shame I couldn't tempt him back, but hey one day.

All sounds good to me - you are working well already.

Just one suggestion as a one off though - if we start as early as next Saturday there may be a good few members gone away on holiday this week who have not had a chance to predict. Therefore I would suggest that for this week and this week only the predictioners of non predictors default to Home wins (but with no prediction for the Boro final score or first scoring) - just so they have some chance if they have missed predicting.

(Of course the inevitable consequence of this will be they are all home wins and none predictors whoop me!!!! But hey ho).

If we can't do this i would suggest putting the season back another week to give people the chance to get their predicitions in.

Hi Foggans, we've only friendlies this Saturday. The league proper will start Saturday 27th August (article going up on Monday), is your concern for Saturday 27th as it's the bank holiday?

I'm keen to get this up-and-running sharpish,. But if there is considerable concern we could pospone (really would rather not tho).

I do feel that points by default would be a risky road to venture, as we could get non-predictors finishing ahead of predictors (one week could make all the difference), and although I really do appreciate your opinion Foggans, I don't feel that we should do this.

and also, until we start I don't know for sure who is taking part (outside those who have predicted the past 2 weeks).

I really feel we must push on. Thoughts, Jesus?

Just a bad time to start when many people have two weeks holiday and only giving a weeks notice. It would be regrettable if someone did not participate because they missed the first week through no fault of there own. We are where we are but it would be unfortunate for people to miss out cos they are on holiday.

And you can't fool me Welshy - I know full well it was your rekindled Plan A just to predict all Home wins yourself much like you did last year!!!!

Hahaha :D you know me too well, Foggans.

Oh, I do completely understand, buddy, and they are very valid points. Everyone who is taking holidays will be back by the start of September. So your suggestion does make a lot of sense.

Leave this with us, Foggans, as I need Jesus to see this article before a decision can be made.

But, yes now that I see exactly where you are coming from, I am agreeing that this may well be the right thing to do.

We will confirm within the next 24 hours! :)

btw Alex. I am sure that you will give suggestions, and support to Jesus & I over the coming season, and any opinions you have will be of benefit to us.

I wish you a successful season on your return to the predictions league, mate.