The Games Industry

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

hmm, had a couple of games on the pes demo, cant say i'm overly keen on it. didnt play on pes2011 but i had pes2010. this new one, despite obvious improvements in ai intelligence and through balls especially, the game feels a lot more detached and distant somehow. i cant get the hang of shooting on it, but my main problem is the sliding tackles- they feel very random (half the time i would press O and the player wouldn't bother sliding) and a lot less crunching. i'll have a couple more games today - think i might just not be liking it because i am absolutely crap at it :p

I've put quite a few hours into the PES demo now and honestly I love it! It's not for everyone and has a steep learning curve but it is just so much fun. No more holding down pressure and winning the ball, you actually have to think and be skilled to defend. Dribbling feels quality to me and I'm loving all the little new animations that just make the game all the more smooth this year. Haven't had this much fun on PES since the PS2 days. The keepers have nice new animations but they are AWFUL on the demo! Definitely need improving for the full game and I've heard they are working hard on improving them atm.

I've had some quality matches so far. The AI is just brilliant. Played Man United (me) vs Porto on Top Player and it was such a challenge. Porto played counter attacking football to perfection. It got to the point where I was scared to attack in fear of being caught on the break! I was just pinging the ball around waiting for the right time to attack, never committing too many people forward, but my chance to properly attack them never really came... Porto were so defensively organized. Eventually I pushed a few forward and really got at them, of course they ended up catching me on the break and going 1-0 up. A superb counter attacking move that actually had me wanting to watch the replay. It finished 1-0 to them and I had 67% of possession!

Had a rematch with the same teams and this time I managed to get a goal in the first 30 min with a long range effort that took a wicked deflection and went in from Nani. After that, Porto changed their tactics and actually tried keeping the ball and getting at me. Match was a lot more open now and they just weren't any match for me under these circumstances. Soundly beat them 2-0. Oh and Nani is amazing! Found myself wanting to get the ball to him A LOT!

Considering this is just an early build and there's still a more advanced demo code and full release copy to come out, I'm going to be hooked on PES 12 this year.

For anybody that is interested in the forthcoming Arkham City from Warner Brothers:

The UK’s leading supermarket Tesco has landed the rights to a tasty freebie for Warner Interactive’s Batman: Arkham City.

Those who pre-order with the chain will be rewarded with the Joker’s Carnival Challenge Map DLC. The stand-alone mission set is said to add around four hours of additional gameplay to the title.

A code to download the content will be emailed out to customers around two days after the game ships. Those who pick up the game from in-store will find the code inside the box.

"Are you brave enough to step into the Joker's house of fun?” the press release reads. “Can you defeat armies of deranged killers in a fight to the finish, hosted by the clown prince of crime in a twisted game show where the only prize is survival?"

Cheers for the info VB. I despise how some people miss out on content just because they dont purchase the game from a certain place these days. it makes good business sense, but is totally unfair to the gamers who pay the same price for less content from other stores. Theres no ethics in the gaming business.

Im sure it will be available to download (payable) after the release.

Warners have secured a big volume order with a large marketing spend from Tesco by using the extra map as a launch exclusive. It happens all the time in the games industry.

Yeah it does VB, i just dont feel its fair.

Anyways, thought Id give an update on how my FM "journeyman game" is going. Because of all the time I'm off work, i've made a lot of progress. Im actually half way through the 3rd season already (I know, I'm sad...). I managed back to back league wins, the second season being even more successful than the first. I won the league by 17 points and also got a cup run up till the 4th round, taking a championship scalp on the way (cardiff I believe it was, im in work). Chelsea beat me 3-1 in the 4th round, but by that point I'd gotten a hell of a lot of money from gate receipts and prize money, enough to build my entire 3rd season around. That along with the recent take over which wiped out my 200,000 debt.

I had offers in the summer for Plymouth who had been relegated to league 2, cork city or shamrock rovers. I considered these but since my financial situation in bromley was much better than all of these options, so I decided to stay put until the time I can move up a league by changing clubs. The board offered me a whopping 700,000 budget and a 9,000 a week wage budget. I was delighted with this, even though I only ended up spending around 120,000 on about 15 players. Wage bill is around the 9500 mark, so I slightly overshot in terms of it, but I have a great squad rather than just a good starting 11 so Im happy.

In terms of players, my main three from before (Brellier, Di Gregorie - scored another 40+ goals in BSP- and Cronesberry-over 30 assists) are still the main men in terms of my team. I now have Charlie Wyke as a back up striker as well, so trying to keep the boro contingent up! Had a bid for Hines accepted but his wages were too high and he wasnt interested. Also grabbed Stuart Taylor on a free from city which was a great coup.

My new squad has turned out to be more than a match for the football league, as Im sitting third in league 2, fairly confident of keeping it up and hopefully gaining promotion for a 3rd straight season. i still have aspirations of moving onto another club as soon as possible due to bromleys obvious limitations (tiny stadium, poor support, no big names want to sign). But for now, im happy punching above my weight!

Also just read that Skyrims first two bits of DLC is 360 exclusive. Another joke.

Looks like you're doing well NB4! I'm playing as Boro on an updated Database in CM 01 02. Played first 3 seasons so far.

I got promoted in my first season winning the Championship with Boyd scoring a hatful (they haven't got round to doing the summer transfer updates yet) and my first signing when going up was Edin Dzeko who does well enough. In my first season I finished 11th but my board was being strict on finances so couldn't get all my players to sign new contracts and this meant a lot of the backbone to my team left (the likes of McManus/Bates/Steele) but I was very active in the transfer market bringing in a lot of cheap players to bolster my squad up so I could field a squad each week (I had a squad size of 18 for the entire season)

In the 3rd season I stayed just clear of relegation in the last few games when Dzeko got injured and I put on Boyd upfront, this worked wonders and he scored 10 in the last 8 games with me picking up 6 wins in them and 2 draws which made me finish in 15th. Haven't started the new season yet but I have a bit more money now and I'm trying to bring in Alexis Sanchez, Felipe Melo and a new Centre Back to push for top 10 again. Even though it was a bad season I did reach the Semi Final of the FA Cup before somehow losing to Burnley (who are currently a Championship side still in the game) which was a little annoying. Would have liked a trophy!

What I love about CM 01 02 is how fast the seasons go. You still get all the emotions and feelings that go along with the newer games but it happens faster and you can see the development of your squad nice, what I don't like is how you don't have an U18 team in that brings your squad new regens each year with the hope that you might just get someone amazing (as happened with me on FM a couple of times). That and they're a good source of income being able to sell mediocre players for 250k-1.5million is always nice.

Just a quick note, ***nals team is ridiculous. They have Xavi, Dani Alves, David Villa, Christiano Ronaldo, Muntari, Ribery and Sergio Ramos. ***ne Wenger should take tips. Haha.

00/01 and 01/02 were the peak of FM/CM in my opinion. Were great games!

But Melo, Sanchez and Dzeko playing for boro? Come on dude, wouldnt you rather have Williams, Emnes and McDonald?! :P

They were the peak, I love them still especially 01/02. However even with the new update coming out in september for it with the new transfers I can't see me giving this game up just yet. 4 Seasons in and it's getting good. Also, Smallwood has 20 Tackling on this game, he's a beast. ***nal put in a 8 million bid for him and I just had to laugh it off even if I could have bought someone nearly as good for 2 million and bulked up my team it just wasn't worth it to see one of my last remaining original players leave as Arca/Robson just retired leaving Smallwood, Boyd, Bennett and Thomson.