oneBoro Forum

Adam Reach - Profile

Adam Reach

DOB - 3/2/93

Squad Number - 2010/11 - 41, 2011/12 - 32

Debut - 7/5/2011 vs Doncaster - scored

reachy.jpg

© Copyright Christopher L. Powlay - All rights reserved.

Adam's story really is something that could be turned into a movie (although its only just begun!) because its the stuff dreams are made of.

Released by Newcastle and turned down by Hartlepool Adam spent his first year outside of school not in a clubs academy but at Gateshead college. He was playing in the Northern League for Chester (Chester-le-street). He was invited along for a trial and taken on as a second year scholar. (Michael Roberts was taken on trial at the same time and joined as a then 1st year scholar)

Adam has played a veriety of positions for the U18s and then the reserves mainly either at left back, or left midfield. but has also played right midfield, off the striker and in the centre of midfield as the Academy had a good look at his skill set.

He possesses a ability that many have seen before at middlesbrough, he can get round his man on the left and cross or pass. (Downing without as much pace maybe?)

Scored a hat trick vs Gateshead in the reserve league last season and included on the bench for the first team vs Coventry (when Gibson made his debut) and Doncaster.

Came off the bench vs Doncaster after 52 minutes to replace Barry Robson. Showed some of his abilities as he skipped past the Donny right back putting him onto the floor in a tangled mess but minutes later the other side (his inexperience) was on show as he failed to trap an easy ball allowing it to trickle out for a throw.

Capped his debut with a very well taken goal.

Recently capped at England U19 level as a second half sub (65th min) vs Holland.

Personal thoughts

Adams progress has simply been outstanding. He has good touch and pace. I'm still really unsure as to where his best position is, he is a competent left back who can offer attacking options. And a left midfielder who can help defensivley.

what i do remember of the donny game was that while you could tell he wasn't near the finished article, I got that impression that he was completely self confident of his ability and seemed to have the raw skills and brain to back it up.

I think that this year he has matured and at Hull where they were "losing their heads and blaming it on each other" ( apologies to Kipling) he remained calm and as Hull tired he was able to get forward more and actually gave the side a focus. It was his cross that gave us our "goal" ( ruled out incorrectly for offside).

Hence it was no surprise to me that he got his England call up.

If he continues with this sort of progress then Joe Bennett will need to watch his back as his place will become under threat.