oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough U16 Bryn Morris selected for England U16s

For the victory shield opener vs Northern Ireland.

Good luck to the lad, last season the closest a boro player came to the U16 squad was a standby call up for Luke Coddington.

Boro have a good record of providing U16s into the England set up, with Jake Fowler playing as an U15 for the England U16 side. Luke Williams, Bruno Pilatos and Adam Jackson all did well at U16 level.

You are obviously one or two up on me as I can find no names/piccies for the under 16s on the Boro site - maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Nor can I find the u 16 squad on the FA site except bits and pieces, presumably left over from last year.

I am trying to relate the player to the team I saw albeit for only 20 minutes or so at Stoke. There was a tall midfielder who was stroking the ball about with dark hair and a fair haired lad at centre back who was quick about the field.

Give us an extra clue ? ..... or two

Dark haired midfielder, could be the one you are talking about.

When i mentioned his inclusion it wasnt from website info, he is someone i follow on twitter. And he mentioned it there.

I believe the squad will be named either today or monday officially.

Middlesbrough do not post images of the U16s on the site, nor other clubs. So many dont actually make it as scholars and there is a lot of chopping and changing pre scholar age.

Dark haired midfielder, could be the one you are talking about.

When i mentioned his inclusion it wasnt from website info, he is someone i follow on twitter. And he mentioned it there.

I believe the squad will be named either today or monday officially.

Middlesbrough do not post images of the U16s on the site, nor other clubs. So many dont actually make it as scholars and there is a lot of chopping and changing pre scholar age.

Many thanks - never got into Twitter, so I'd not have got that. There is little or no doubt that the clubs attitude is the corect one. I've seen lives implode based on decisions at that age

I would like to ask for your thoughts on this please:

A good friend of mine who lives in Barnsley has a 6-7 year old who loves football and plays for a team at a weekend (8 year olds) .He seems to be a bit of a star player for his team and has gained a lot of interest from the scouts from some of the Yorkshire clubs including Leeds and inparticular Sheff Utd. The scout from Sheff Utd has approached my friend on numerous occasions telling her that they want to get her son training at his club as he believes he has got a good future ahead of him.

Now my friend keeps on declining the offer as she is concerned that her son is enjoying his football and does not want potential pressure put on him plus the disappointment he would face if a few years down the line they just tossed him off.

This happened to another friend of mine in Manchester, their son at 8 went to train with Man City for 3-4 years and gave up a lot of his weekend football (as City advised him to) then when he got to 12 they said "thanks but no thanks" . My mates kid is devastated. I know all children are different but it seems ridiculous that kids as young as 6 are getting lined up by clubs.

thoughts please.

I don't know its a tricky one Vector, kids are being made to train at professional clubs really early these days. I see the advantages of this, the kids are getting professional training at an early stage, to get rid of bad habbits possibly developing and gaining the skills that they need early, to progress but that means they are going to face rejection and possibly too much seriousness at a very early age, taking the enjoyment out of the game. This could lead to not wanting to learn if you are not enjoing it, especially for young kids. Football should be enjoyed when you are young, you should enjoy the moment.

Speaking from experience, pro clubs could only sign scoolboys when they turned 14, when I was a lad, that was twenty four years ago, I got 'tossed off', :D (ha ha careful with your words Vector), when I was 16 from Hartlepool, when Baird and Little got the sack, and Bobby Moncur and John Craggs came in, its not an easy thing to take at such a young age when people are telling you, you are going to be a pro one day and then all your dreams are shattered in one blow.

Yeah its a tough one Vector, do you protect your child from possible rejection or do you treat it as character building stuff at an early age, the outcome could be possitive though. :)

The impossible question. I do not think there is one size fits all in tems of an answer.

There are some sports where it is almost impossible to catch up if you do not start very young, gymnastics for example. I don't think soccer falls in to that category.

Hence you have a choice as a parent. Interest may fall, talent may not be nurtured or realised, decline is inevitable. From every age group in every club it would be unusual if more than 1 were to reach the upper levels

Soccer at the top level is a very small elite group - 20 premiership clubs with 20 pros 400 people ???

Decisions before puberty may be reversed by pubity Thats hard to take.

If the talent is still there at say 11/13 then might be the ideal time to decide whether to try but there has to be a realism by all parties.

I referred briefly above to probably the best child footballer I ever saw. Big club - lad went right thro the academy but the club decided "no" and he virtually never played again. The devastation of that guys life must have been horrendous. It must almost have been as if his life/career had been taken away from him.

I'm glad it is not a decision I have to take. Good luck and if this helps, I'm delighted

I advised my friend to let his son do what gave him the most enjoyment and happiness hence why they have fobbed off both Leeds and Sheff Utd at this moment in time.I do believe that if he has got the talent that these scouts believe he has then it will still be there when he goes into to secondary school and as a person he will have matured a bit more.

It sticks in my mind how my other friends son was so devastated by what happened at City, he stopped playing football for quite a while because he was so down about it. But another kid could embrace that knockback and work harder, everybody is different.

cheers for your input, it has been worthwhile and appreciated.

• 1 month later...