oneBoro Forum

Noticed that Martin Jol fined player for missing a penalty,& now his chums are miffed at it.Apparently he is not the clubs regular pen taker.BUT is Jol right?

Now if Jol thinks he wasn't being professional in the way he took the kick,I may agree with him.Depends how much the player is on.Does the the money go to a charity?Or did he do it just to give the player a kick up the arris?

Now we come to Tevez.City are planning to fine Carlos 6 weeks pay & have gone to the PFA to sanction it.

I am of the opinion that some players think the game is about them,& not the club or the fans.That they are above the game.They are not.

Though I think fining them paltry sums on huge wages a waste of time.

At least the charity gains if the fine goes there.

Look at Delon Armitage fined 5 grand for wearing a branded mouthguard.

Now that is punishment.And no whinging afterwards.

Yeah I read that Jol fined the lad for taking the penalty because he'd designated another player as penalty taker so in his mind the other lad shouldn't have took it.

Then he was reminded that whilst he told the designated player that he was to take penalties, he forgot to tell the rest of the players that he'd chosen that player hence to confusion and so Jol fined himself.

All a bit of madness really!

If you disobey orders in the real world theres usually repercussions so surely the designated penalty taker is the only person 'deserving' of a fine for not stepping up. Fining a lad for having the b0ll0cks to step up is daft and fining himself well :D:D:D:D

No comparison with Delon Armitage. Armitage knew full well his team had been sponsored by a particular manufacturer and the players were instructed to only wear mouthgaurds. He deliberately choose to cheat his team (England in this case) by wearing a product which clearly showed the brand of an alternative product manufacturer for his own personal profit. This is fraud. In the real world (ie none sporting world) employees are sacked for fraud not given a fine. To hold this fraudster up as an example because he plays a "gentlemans game" is typical of our class ridden society. Its exactly the same as a system that says bankers who screw their shareholders and the country are just being unlucky in business but wanting to lock up anyone who claims benefits falsely.

Armitage is a crook who should never represent his country again.

On the other hand although I am all for performance related pay for footballers it seems silly to fine someone for missing a penalty. Although if someone tries one of those silly little chips down the middle of the goal if as a manager you tell them beforehand that this is not acceptable it seems perfectly fair to fine them not for missing the penalty but for being unprofessional.

That's not fraud.

...And if it was for his own personal profit, that would mean that he is sponsored by said manufacturer, giving him a responsibility to them, not the team.

But even if that's not the case, it's still not fraud. :S

the mouthguard had the advertising coloured in so it wasnt seen, it only showed when the ink rubbed off so a bit harsh.

as for fining the player for taking the penalty , my old fella always said you should be fined for missing a penalty and i thought he was the only one with this daft idea. how wrong was i

lets see how big the line is waiting to take the next one they get.

dont worry about the 20k watching you son ,forget the nerves, doesnt matter if you cost us the game, oh and by the way miss and im disciplining you

Sorry FFP,first I was only drawing attention to a different kind of fine imposed on a player.Secondly,I was NOT holding Armitage up as an "example" at all,only that he had not whinged,or tryed to get round matters by saying the mouthguard message was "lost in translation" ho hum.

I agree with Prowler,I do NOT class it as fraud either.

Have you ever thought that his gumshield may have been more comfortable to wear?[/size][/b]I can not see him getting rich on gumshield advertising.Also the ERU get sponsorship as do the World Cup organisers,& it was them who fined him,because Delon's company was probably not on the approved list.

The main point in the tread was does a fine help focus a player?

These guys are getting mammoth wages to kick a bag of wind about.If a heart surgeon misses a vital step,the client dies,& he is either sued/struck off or both.So is a football player any different?Surely he must have standards to keep?Though I doubt it.

I am not saying you should or shouldn't fine them.BUT most trade organisations have ethics of some kind.Gasmen get done for blowing a house up by mistake,plumbers for flooding a house etc.

If a jockey doesn't try on purpose,he is fined & loses racing days so he loses money.

I am only saying if a player makes a half hearted attempt at a penalty,or skies over,surely he should lose a % of his pay or pay a token fine for charity.

It happens in most sections of society,so why should footballers be excluded?

I thought it was Manu Tuilagi who was fined for the mouthguard incident not Delon Armitage?

His brother was also fined for the same thing a few days earlier!

One plays for his native Samoa while Manu plays for England.. thats why we heard about that one!

Delon Armitage was banned for the France game for a high tackle against Scotland!

These guys are getting mammoth wages to kick a bag of wind about.If a heart surgeon misses a vital step,the client dies,& he is either sued/struck off or both.So is a football player any different?Surely he must have standards to keep?Though I doubt it.

You have acidentally put your finger on it here! Because if a surgeon actually makes a mistake it gets covered up. A surgeon causes a number of deaths they get extra training and supervision. Only if a surgeon causes multiple deaths is any action taken against them resulting in either prosecution or them losing their job. If on the other hand a nurse makes a mistake they are out on their ear.

Now of course I am not comparing overpaid footballers with nurses but in the football environment they are still bottom of the pile. So when Bryan Robson offers to contrive deals to buy clubs against football regulations on camara nothing happens. When foreign crooks buy clubs and skip round the fit and proper persons regulations nothing happens. When the FA break their own rules to keep their mate Trevor Brookings team in the Prem nothing happens. When FIFA representatives take bribes left right and centre nothing happens. When managers take bungs from agents nothing happens. All the above are deliberate acts of corruption in football but it is seen somehow as moral to fine a player for making an accidental mistake. It may only be me but there seems a certain lack of perspective here.

surely the whole point is - you cant fine anyone for making a mistake when you are asking them to take risks and play with freedom.

anytime anyone does something good an opposition player has made a mistake , if you beat a player then the guy you beat has made a mistake.

if you tackle someone then hes made a mistake .

if you pass to someone then the guy marking you or him has made a mistake .

you just cant fine anyone for making mistakes in football because everyone makes hundreds every game.

I am NOT talking about making an honest mistake.When Banks saved from Pele,it was not Pele's mistake,but Bank's genius that prevented him scoring.When Best went past a defender,wasn't Chopper made a mistake,it was George's genius.Sometimes it was Moore's genius that took the ball from Best.

I am talking about rank poor professionalism.Why should a footballer be any different.Though I would disagree with any manager who fined a player out of malice.

Lots of players get fined for being late for training,wrong kit etc.The money normally goes to the clubs favourite charity.

Lets not put our footballers in an ivory tower.