oneBoro Forum

England v Montenegro

Scott Parker is sh#t and shouldn't get anywhere near the england team. I wish England managers would stop

Letting the southern press pick the team

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Scott Parker is sh#t and shouldn't get anywhere near the england team. I wish England managers would stop

You can draw the same conclusions as to why 'arry is being linked to the England job. Chances are he will probably do the same as McClaren but won't be as vilified as much by the press.

You can draw the same conclusions as to why 'arry is being linked to the England job. Chances are he will probably do the same as McClaren but won't be as vilified as much by the press.

I actually think good ol' 'Arry would do a much better job than McClaren ever did. He has more experience and definitely can do the job for England, I also think he's a little more tuned in to the modern game. He plays the players to their best position, doesn't stray too far from an English style yet it's still attacking and enjoyable to watch. I would have Harry as Manager over any other English manager.

I love how England fans all have so much helpful advice for capello, and because he doesnt do as they say, he's branded a terrible manager. You're talking about a guy who has managed at the very top level for 20 years. Milan, Madrid, Roma, Juventus and England. Not a bad resume. I'm fairly sure he knows a damn sight more about football than anyone standing on the outside criticising.

Instead, how about having a look at yourselves and the role you have to play in your nations performances. The fans seem to sit back and just expect to win every game. A player has one poor performance and he is attacked from all angles. There is more loyalty to club football than to international football, which inevitably leads to split views when it comes to the national team. There is no unity. Put aside all the petty club crap and support your country for gods sake (this is more about the big teams fans whose players regularly play for England, doesnt really apply to the boro fans).

Sorry for being so critical, and it probably isnt a popular view. But it is a view shared by the majority of football fans outside of england, and is a major reason why they are quite unpopular in world football.

Scott Parker is not ***. Name me two English holding midfielders who are better?

I didnt catch the Montenegro game the other night so I can only presume this is a knee jerk reaction to one poor performance in that game.

I love how England fans all have so much helpful advice for capello, and because he doesnt do as they say, he's branded a terrible manager. You're talking about a guy who has managed at the very top level for 20 years. Milan, Madrid, Roma, Juventus and England. Not a bad resume. I'm fairly sure he knows a damn sight more about football than anyone standing on the outside criticising.

Your right that capello has shown he is a very good club manager. He is renknowed as been an excellent tactician, maybe this is a problem as an international manager he is not with the players for the amount of time he would be usually therefore its harder for him to get his ideas across. Made even harder by the lack of intellegence that is apparent a***st the majority of england players and also a langhuage barrier. Just because he is a good manager doesnt mean he is suited to the job. Som jobs just dont suit certain people.

But Capello is far from blameless also, as he has shown that he can make terrible decisions too. Fancy bringing on Heskey when you need a goal. Fancy leaving out Darrent Bent of the world cup squad after he scored 24 goals that season and taking Defoe, Heskey, Crouch lol there is loads more too.

I think Redknapp is an overrated manager who often wastes money and makes questionable buys (apart from Parker and Adebayor this season, which were perfect for spurs) but I also think he might be good for England as he famously does not complicate things too much tactically. He will put an arm round a player, play him in his best position and let the team go out and enjoy themselves, now this maybe naive and floored but it something a bit different and it should be more entertaining. Imagine being entertained by England instead of them playing scared and running in square lines all of the time? I'd take Harry Redknapp, but there is not much choice anyway really.

I also think he might be good for England as he famously does not complicate things too much tactically. He will put an arm round a player, play him in his best position and let the team go out and enjoy themselves,

You tell this to Spurs fans and they will laugh in your face, all the ones I know want him gone.

Maybe, but its a well-known fact that football fans are a fickle lot and quite often don't know when they're onto a good thing.

They're all too ready to rubbish a manager as soon as a few results go against them. Win a bit of silverware though and they're gods / next candidate for England manager / next star of a Pizza Hut commercial. ;)

Seriously though, I can't decide on Harry Redknapp. He seems like a good man-manager, but you have to wonder if he could make the change from day-to-day management, to only seeing his players every few months.

As for Rooney, I'd be happy if he never pulled on another England shirt. He always seems to play with a scowl on his face, like he's inherited his manager's dislike of the England team.

On his day, yes he can be sensational, but those days are becoming fewer and farther between. On top of that he's still a thug and a liability. I say let him stick to playing for Man Utd. I think I'd rather have Welbeck up front or any of the other talented younger players coming through. Rooney is FAR from irreplaceable.

Good response as ever CF.

I dont know about Harry. I think he's overrated as well, and I don't think he'll be able to hand the amount of egos in the england squad.

The best man for the job, in my opinion, is the man whos under the most heavy criticism in the premiership at the moment: ***ne Wenger. He knows the english game inside out, he gets the best out of almost every player he's ever managed and he encourages the development of youth.

I honestly do not think that Rooney is an asset to England and I dont think I would pick him if I was the manager. With a 2 match ban at the Championships I also dont think he should be taken and we should take someone eligible to play all of the games.

Its a good job your not the manager then

It probably is because I would give them all the big rude wake-up call that they need.

The England team that played the other night played with a lot of heart and effort until Rooney did his usual trick of screwing it up for everyone else. Lets make no mistake - we were lucky to hold on to the draw and could easily have been watching our qualification going down the pan. He has learnt nothing since his last red card for England.

When people stop idolising Rooney and admit that he (and a few others in the England set-up) need bringing back down to earth a bit perhaps we might get some changes for the better to the England team.

If Rooney can not play for 2 games at the finals then he is a liability. If we put his latest performance down to his Dad's situation then what happens during the finals if the guy has his court case or even goes to prison? Does Rooney sit on the bench as a danger thereby taking up a seat that someone else could have?

Personally I would take Michael Owen before I take Rooney. Lets not forget Rooney's contribution to our outing in Africa.

Personally I would take Michael Owen before I take Rooney. Lets not forget Rooney's contribution to our outing in Africa.

If Owen cared about his England career he would dropped down a level or even took a huge pay-cut to play at a club like Wigan or Bolton. You can see where his priorities lie. Would much rather sit on the United bench and tend to his racehorses instead.

Rooney's a moron but at least he's hungry for success.

Once again the media in this country are a shower of ***e when it comes to the England team. Arshavin did a similar thing against Andorra in the Euro 2008 qualifiers and missed the first two matches of that tournament. He wasn't vilified by the Russian press or made to be some scapegoat for what was a fairly poor performance.

For as long as the press can divert attention away from the real failings of our national team long shall mediocrity reign supreme.

This must be the first time in ages that as a England fan I am going into an international tournament with zero expectations. And even with Rooney my temperament wouldn't have been weathered.

I also think he might be good for England as he famously does not complicate things too much tactically. He will put an arm round a player, play him in his best position and let the team go out and enjoy themselves,

You tell this to Spurs fans and they will laugh in your face, all the ones I know want him gone.

Whatever, I didnt say spurs fans did or didnt like him.

But what would they or you disagree with what I said about him?

If Owen cared about his England career he would dropped down a level or even took a huge pay-cut to play at a club like Wigan or Bolton. You can see where his priorities lie. Would much rather sit on the United bench and tend to his racehorses instead.

Once again the media in this country are a shower of *** when it comes to the England team. Arshavin did a similar thing against Andorra in the Euro 2008 qualifiers and missed the first two matches of that tournament. He wasn't vilified by the Russian press or made to be some scapegoat for what was a fairly poor performance.

For as long as the press can divert attention away from the real failings of our national team long shall mediocrity reign supreme.

This must be the first time in ages that as a England fan I am going into an international tournament with zero expectations. And even with Rooney my temperament wouldn't have been weathered.

I think you give our media too much credit, Aarfy.

We can see for ourselves how good, or bad our national team is when they play. The only thing the media can stir up is debate about whose fault it is when they play badly.

Is it Capello's tactics / team selection, did the players not do themselves justice, or are we really just not as good as we like to think we are?

A lot will be made of Rooney's sending off as thats exactly the sort of thing the tabloids and Talk Sport like to seize on. The truth is, England should have been able to hold on for the win against Montenegro, even with 10 men.

Rooney, for me, is a separate issue, with his sarastic remarks to camera and thuggish behaviour. He's a symbol of much that is wrong with footballers today. They think they're untouchable, can do no wrong and are unable to accept criticism.

Putting that aside, the England squad is pretty unremarkable. We don't have a single player you could say is better than any of the top French, Spanish, Dutch, German or Italian players. We're a top 6 European nation at best and top 10 in the world.

We need to accept that and so does the national media, instead of trumpeting that THIS IS OUR YEAR every 2 years. Until we start producing truly talented players who can THINK, read games and maintain their composure under pressure, we will be found out in international tournaments. Even with the best coach in the world, we'll do well to reach quarter or semi-finals.

In my humble opinion, the last genuinely talented squad we had was for Euro 96...and even then we weren't quite good enough.

Ironically, Rooney is probably the best player to emerge in recent years. His skill and inventivess in front of goal is up there with the best. He also works hard, doesn't mind dropping deep to win the ball or even help out in defence. Problem is his temperament just isn't worth the risk at international level, plus he's just as liable to become anonymous if a game isn't panning out to his liking.

Once again the media in this country are a shower of *** when it comes to the England team. Arshavin did a similar thing against Andorra in the Euro 2008 qualifiers and missed the first two matches of that tournament. He wasn't vilified by the Russian press or made to be some scapegoat for what was a fairly poor performance.

I think you give our media too much credit, Aarfy.

We can see for ourselves how good, or bad our national team is when they play. The only thing the media can stir up is debate about whose fault it is when they play badly.

I think you are giving the english public too much credit. :D

So many sheeple in this country who dont form their own opinions. Instead they wait for others to do so and regurgitate it as their own

Imo the media dont stir debate at all, they just sensationalise, exaggerate and have the most ridiculous knee jerk reactions possible to sell. Well most forms of media do anyway.