oneBoro Forum

England vs Spain

I know I am in a bit of a minority on this forum in following England as much as the Boro. But I wondered what people's thoughts were on this evening's game?

I don't expect us to win this one, but I hope we give a good account of ourselves and try and identify some weaknesses in the Spain team (do they have any?) In case we come up against them in the Euros.

I would love to see Capello really go for it and throw some fearless youngsters in but I suspect other than Terry and Rooney out it could well be the usual suspects.

Would be nice to see:

Hart

Walker Jones Cahill Baines

Rodwell Parker Downing

Walcott Sturridge Wellbeck

But I suspect are more likely to see Lescott, Barry, Bent, Cole and Milner and Lampard is already guaranteed a spot as captain.

Can we shock the best international team in Europe and the World?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree we should start blooding the youth.

A bit controversial, but I have never rated Terry. Don't rate him as a bloke and reckon others (Essien etc) have helped him look better than he is. He was worse than a Sunday league player against Germany in the World Cup and its games like that that mark a player as capable or not. Too many negative stories about him to be a captain (behaviour at Heathrow, knocking off team mates women, dodgy cash in hand tours at Chelsea) - complete nonesense that he leads England out.

Would love to see Downing have a great game. Reckon 2:1 to Spain.

Not a bad article here from Xabi Alonso:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2060585/Xabi-Alonso-English-football-Spain-team-leaders.html

I think Spain are just too far ahead of us to be honest so I think the score will be something like 1-3 to Spain. I'd love to see a completely fresh England team out there. BBC says Lampard will play in midfield alongside Phil Jones. Jagielka and Lescott at the back. Will be interesting to see Jones in midfield but the poor guy has to deal with playing alongside Lampard and clearing up for him. Didn't we do the same thing to Jordan Henderson? Play him against a quality team in his first match and have him deal with Lampard?

Agree we should start blooding the youth.

A bit controversial, but I have never rated Terry. Don't rate him as a bloke and reckon others (Essien etc) have helped him look better than he is. He was worse than a Sunday league player against Germany in the World Cup and its games like that that mark a player as capable or not. Too many negative stories about him to be a captain (behaviour at Heathrow, knocking off team mates women, dodgy cash in hand tours at Chelsea) - complete nonesense that he leads England out.

Would love to see Downing have a great game. Reckon 2:1 to Spain.

I completely agree on Terry. Never rated him at all, I think he is slow and not great positionally. I think playing in a good side and being brave has taken him a long way. He also seems like a horrible person.

I am looking forward to an England manager not picking him.

I'm actually cheering for Spain today. England need a wake up call and a 4 or 5 nil drubbing by the best team in the world might well be it, to both quell the usual media storm of "We're amazing" or to make Capello think about his decisions more.

I only want England to win if we field a young, ambitious team. I think it's a shame Cleverley and Wilshere are both out still, as they're two of our brightest subjects coming through.

Note. I only want Spain to win because I think it'll help us in the long run. :p

I'm actually cheering for Spain today. England need a wake up call and a 4 or 5 nil drubbing by the best team in the world might well be it, to both quell the usual media storm of "We're amazing" or to make Capello think about his decisions more.

I only want England to win if we field a young, ambitious team. I think it's a shame Cleverley and Wilshere are both out still, as they're two of our brightest subjects coming through.

Note. I only want Spain to win because I think it'll help us in the long run. :p

Hmm... Would you want the Boro to lose for the same reason?

Hmm... Would you want the Boro to lose for the same reason?

It's a hard call really but it is best to lose in a friendly and use it to drive you on to be better. England really needs to become a better team instead of a load of individuals out to make a name for themselves. That is one of the things that always seems to impress me about the Spanish team...I don't know what kind of people they are off the pitch, but on it they all seem to work hard to do their job with few showboaters to ruin that.

For the Boro, I think that 3-0 defeat by Southampton was a great wake-up call as to how cruel this division can be and how if we want to be up there we still need to improve.

At the same time, one could argue that if we play a supposedly weaker team without the likes of Terry etc and we win tonight, then it would also provide a booster in a different way in that it would show we can do it without the "stars" and compete against the best.

Not sure which one would be the ideal situation for us right now but I'd like to think playing some of the young ones and winning would show us the way forward so that we can finally wipe our hands of the so called golden generation and start afresh with a new team ethos.

I agree about Terry - he's hardly been Captain material with a lot of his recent antics. I wouldn't drop him solely because of the racism accusations - innocent until proven guilty as far as I'm concerned. Think I'd play him, mainly because of his experience, but I'd be fine seeing a younger CB start. I agree that it's a good idea to blood some youngsters, but I think it's important we don't take that too far and I'd still play a strong team. As far as I'm concerned I see this game as an opportunity to play players who have a genuine chance of being in the 2012 team. And this game will also give us some sort of indication of how much better Spain are then us (because obviously they are, and I would say by a very big margin too). This experience will help though, well, unless we are well and truly embarrassed. Yes, you'd learn something from that, but that would be a monumental dent on moral and confidence! Anyway, looking forward to the game :)

The line-up I'd go for....

--------------------Hart--------------------

------Jones----Terry----Cahill----Cole-------

---Johnson---Parker---Lampard---Downing---

--------------Walcott----Bent--------------

...but I would like to see the likes of Welbeck, Sturridge, Lescott, Baines and perhaps Rodwell get some minutes.

England 1-2 Spain.

The line-up I'd go for....

--------------------Hart--------------------

------Jones----Terry----Cahill----Cole-------

---Johnson---Parker---Lampard---Downing---

--------------Walcott----Bent--------------

...but I would like to see the likes of Welbeck, Sturridge, Lescott, Baines and perhaps Rodwell get some minutes.

England 1-2 Spain.

2P2 - agree on 1:2 to Spain. Yours would be an interesting side - defo a bit of Boro influence!!

Looks like he is going with Jones in CM to support Lampard - hope it doesn't smash Jones's confidence