oneBoro Forum

The Effects Of Another Season In The Championship

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9410303.Mowbray_hoping_for_some_January_action/?

So, essentially, this article is saying that the wage bill will need to be reduced further if we fail to get promoted. I guess we already knew this, but it's obviously still a concern and would likely be very damaging to our future prospects.

Mogga hopes to secure a couple of January signings, but he will be financially restricted (as expected), and will have to lose someone 'somewhere along the line' if so. However, he remains hopeful that we can hold onto our scouted talent in a short-term 'gamble'.

Thoughts? I for one am worried - not because I didn't already know it, but because it's been a while since these long-term financial problems have cropped up in the media! It also makes me wonder if this added pressure will rub off on the players.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of a catch 22 situation really!

Those who are free agents at the end of the season will go without the offer of a new contract and Boro will accept reasonable offers for others and start a new season in The Championship with a relatively smaller squad and with a few additions who are freebies or loans on a lower wage than current.

Is this the season where for want of the expression it is *** or bust?

Possibly so and January will tell its own story what the real intentions are but there are other factors to consider which we have mentioned many times like lack of fans going to games and the obvious atmosphere they can generate and I feel Boro have missed out on a trick or two to remedy that aspect.

This could be the most important season for Boro for different reasons and if promotion is really the clubs determination then I would suggest that we go for automatic promotion as I really do not want to suffer any heartache from failing promotion through the play offs.

And replace Bates with who? The other two are easily replaceable, but you'll NEVER find anyone as good as Bates on his wages, plus you have to worry about a transfer fee.

Why damage our chances of getting promoted this season? Especially when, as this article suggests, this may be our last promotion push for some time if we dont go up this year.

Promotion will of course have a lot to say, and if we fail to win promotion we will certainly lose Bates and Hoyte, but if both these players are on 20k+ that will be somewhere in the region of 2 million a year. Rhys Williams will probably be sold too. Hopefully that is enough and will allow us to give McMahon and Robson new contracts.

Let's just hope for promotion´and all our worries will be over:)

Don't know about anyone else but I am getting a bit cheesed off with the mixed messages that come from Boro regarding the current state of things.

I suspect that perhaps they were relying on regular gates of maybe 23k to sustain the current levels but it has not happened and they should have a hard look at their PR and Marketing Dept

agree on bates and Hoyte, those two between them will save the best part of 50K a week. McMahon is someone id like to keep hold of, Robson, im not sure, as he is getting older, slower but at times this year he has been our best player.

i think we are right to wait until the summer. if we get promoted, there are no worries, but im glad we are being sensible and preparing for the worst case scenario and not doing a leeds and just going for it in the short term.

im also glad that Mowbray and Gibson have acknowledged that we need a few more in in Jan to help the push!

i have faith and cannot wait for tomorrow! UTB

Arca is unlikely to leave having signed a new contract this aug

and as per what Mowbray said, Mowbray's financial projections are having to be premised on a worst-case scenario of another season in the Championship. So perhaps Bates, Robson, Hoyte and McMahon will be a*** the players available for departure in jan

I just seen Big Sam come out and say West Ham want to take Anelka.

I hope so so much that they dont get promoted. They are spending well beyond their means and if they dont go up, they're risking the long term stability of the club. If any club ever deserved to go bust its them for this arrogance they're showing in trying to buy the league.

I still think Mogga could do a good job here next season if we had to reduce the wage bill further. But you'd have to think that we'd be much less likely to get promoted in future seasons then this season. And our best players - players with Premiership quality - would probably be looking for a move away. Concerning.

I agree with your point about the ticket sales Downsouth. Most of what the club has done in the last 12 months has been correct, but they've definitely come up short regarding empty seats.

i think we are right to wait until the summer. if we get promoted, there are no worries, but im glad we are being sensible and preparing for the worst case scenario and not doing a leeds and just going for it in the short term.

im also glad that Mowbray and Gibson have acknowledged that we need a few more in in Jan to help the push!

i have faith and cannot wait for tomorrow! UTB

Yep. Obviously not an ideal situation, but I completely agree with the way it has been handled so far this season, and if this article is accurate then it looks like it will be handled correctly for another year too.

And replace Bates with who? The other two are easily replaceable, but you'll NEVER find anyone as good as Bates on his wages, plus you have to worry about a transfer fee.

Why damage our chances of getting promoted this season? Especially when, as this article suggests, this may be our last promotion push for some time if we dont go up this year.

I mentioned it meaning it should be done at the end of the season, afterall, he is leaving on a free.

...And we could find someone as good for his wages, he's on £20k a week!

...And we could find someone as good for his [bates] wages, he's on £20k a week!

Does make you wonder if a player on those kinds of wages (given our current financial constraints) should be Captain...

Ah ok, well I think its inevitible he'll leave if we dont get promoted, hes too good to sit in a championship team missing out on promotion every year.

20k over 6 months is less than what youd pay for someone new, when you take into account the fee and the new players wages. I dont care if you're superman, you aint gonna find a free agent as good as batesy!

Ah ok, well I think its inevitible he'll leave if we dont get promoted, hes too good to sit in a championship team missing out on promotion every year.

20k over 6 months is less than what youd pay for someone new, when you take into account the fee and the new players wages. I dont care if you're superman, you aint gonna find a free agent as good as batesy!

Carlos Cuellar, Gary Cahill, Jonathan Woodgate (when fit), Ledley King (when fit)

Obviously out of our wage range but these will be the freebies better than Bates :P