• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

The ending was a bit meh.

I think they've done it in such a way to set up the sequel which will reveal a lot more. For me there was too many unanswered questions which, although part of the beauty of the game was rather annoying.

I disagree, I think the ending, while not to everyones taste, was perfect. Without spoiling anything, it completed the development of Joels character and showed us the true consequences of a world like that. I loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a small review of this on another site -

So i completed this on release, think i hit the 12hours mark so there's plenty of gameplay to be immersed in and that's exactly what till happen to you. The story is incredibly written and even within the first 10 minutes of playing you realize you're in for a good ride as it sets the mood perfectly.

I played this on Normal as my first run through and it's not that alll a walk in a park, The survivability factor is intense, it's one of those very few games where you're just nervously waiting for somebody to drop some ammo because what's ahead all your melee and crafted items just aren't going to cut it. However that said it's linear direction takes away what many survival horrors do better such as Silent Hill with it's exploration.

There's a few issues with cutscenes not triggering at the correct time thus flashing a blue/black screen but that's very brief, same goes for audio in some places. A good handful of subtitles aren't correct and i always have this setting on in every game so that got abit humorous. There's a definite problem with collision/animation in certain areas when in cover as i spotted Ellie jumping into the 'T' pose but you really have to look for it.

Mechanics are solid and can't fault them, but that's what you should expect when it's just the Uncharted engine, if you've played Uncharted and enjoyed those controls then it's exactly the same in Last of Us.

What i really ejoyed though was the way it lead you on to predict what's going to happen next based on previous encounters and then totally jump boat.

Solid game, a few niggles here and there - The gameplay is far from original, it's all been done before you can expect when a brawl is going to happen with the environments typical action arena locations which takes away the shock factor and breaks the tone too rapidly.

Very good game.

I've got a 360, borrowed my mates PS3 to play this - review I posted on B17 below

THE LAST OF US - 9.7/10

My first ever PS3 game completed, I imagine it is the best the PS3 has served up.

Wouldn't say the gameplay is anything I haven't played before - has elements of RDR, Alan Wake, Resident Evil, Max Payne, The Getaway, Silent Hill (I haven't battered anyone with a pipe as much since in Silent Hill) etc etc - but the difference is probably the story and how it plays out jumping over time frames of years and months, playing as different characters, massively different locations, seasons of weather and so on, it is like a film

The graphics overall are probably the best I have ever seen/played. Two things that stuck out for me were the water physics and lighting, unbelievable even in daft things like a puddle.

Some brutal enemies including one which if they touch you you die instantly, which I don't think I have seen before on any game, I may be wrong

Took me 13h 11m to complete according to the stats. I did quite a bit of looting/looking for objects, but was surprised to see that I only got about 60% of the artefacts in the game.

Not sure any game would ever get a 10/10 there will always be a little bit missing. If I were to pick out a problem or negative with it, the only things I could come up with is that unlike all the other 'best' games of this generation, there are no sidemissions and no freedom - i.e., it is not remotely open world - you can search around an area, but there is only ever one door to leave the area/move on with the story. The other thing would be no HUD, sometimes I was getting shot and had no idea where from

Didn't try the multiplayer. If you have a PS3, or like me can borrow one, play this.

I think the linear gameplay actually suited the last of us. Wouldn't have been the same if it was free roaming. Its like a really good film (the road anyone?), but an interactive one!

Really wish I could forget the story and play it again...

I think the linear gameplay actually suited the last of us. Wouldn't have been the same if it was free roaming. Its like a really good film (the road anyone?), but an interactive one!

Really wish I could forget the story and play it again...

The Road is pretty good like, took me ages to realize that it's Aragon from LOTR though!.

-

And i disagree with it being linear, it was marketed as a survival horror and that genre does typically allow alot more exploration. The level where you just came out of the garage and heading towards the School, it should have been like that through-out. You could venture a quite a big map but you knew exactly there the main objective was.

The only exploration you could do was to search every room/space in an area, but you could only ever exit that situation through one door/way. Would have been a completely different game if it were open world like Assassin's Creed or something