oneBoro Forum

Predictions League Round 10 Results [Saturday 21st January]

An occasion I remember well involves Andy last season. A point for him would have sealed promotion, anything but a win for me would have seen me relegated. He openly admitted to me that he considered just copying my predictions, and why not? He just needed the point and there was no ruling against it. But what did he end up doing? He made a match of it and went for the win, now that's my kinda predictor. As it happens I won, but I was delighted for him that the following match saw him claim his deserved promotion.

I haven't forgotten that Andy.

That's because that's the way I like to play - its much more fun going for a win - I was like it when I played too, always play to win. There is no gratification in getting a draw!

having now seen this discussion I see that I made one different prediction to Donny. That is not due to tactics - but like 2plus2 said because sometimes people think the same. Had I looked I might have changed a few to create more of a winning chance - as always there are some you see that could result in either a draw or a win either way.

People can predict tactically if they like in my opinion - but gloating is rude!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, but would Mourinho be happy if somebody copied his tactics? I think not.

I would say that he'd change his tactics but Mourinho is stubborn and would probably stick :P

I just see it as a total cop out, what's the point in predicting if your predictions aren't even your own?

Just wing it, it's what I do and I am second in league 2 and I believe I have the 2nd highest goal difference in both leagues :D

Right, Brooksy hasn't predicted for 4 rounds in the league so am offering his place to Osvaldo. If Osvaldo declines then I shall offer it to one of the predictors who's played in the PL Cup.

Right, Brooksy hasn't predicted for 4 rounds in the league so am offering his place to Osvaldo. If Osvaldo declines then I shall offer it to one of the predictors who's played in the PL Cup.

Sounds good to me!

Spot of Deja Vu there then ;)

;) @ Andy

Okay so Osvaldo would start from scratch so really he'd be predicting purely for fun.

However, he would be in the running for the highest average prize (another boro scarf ;) ) which only takes into account the weeks you've participated in and discounts the top 3 from each Division who would already win a prize.

Up-to-date League placings and highest average tables on their way in the next 20 minutes or so.

Ah, but would Mourinho be happy if somebody copied his tactics? I think not.

1) I would say that he'd change his tactics but Mourinho is stubborn and would probably stick :P

2) I just see it as a total cop out, what's the point in predicting if your predictions aren't even your own?

1) Mourinho as in I try to avoid defeat first.

2) The point is, at least 5 predictions every week are blindingly obvious anyway, so all I do is focus on the results where there's a grey area. I just prefer to focus on the games that are gonna make a difference.

2) The point is, at least 5 predictions every week are blindingly obvious anyway, so all I do is focus on the results where there's a grey area. I just prefer to focus on the games that are gonna make a difference.

No, they're not, the Championship is one of the most unpredictable and volatile leagues in the world, no fixture has an obvious result.

Also, that wasn't my point, looking at your opponents (or the in form predictors) predictions and then copying some/all of them and then changing a couple isn't you predicting, it's you posting someone else's predictions and a few of your own. It's not tactical predicting, it's lazy and to be quite honest, quite sad that you're unable to win without needing help.

Oh and then the whole gloating thing that has been done by some people, that's just pathetic. I mean really, how can anybody be proud of it?

I don't mean the result is obvious, I mean the fancied team is obvious quite a lot of the time.

Also, I don't think you're really in a position to pass judgements over what other people should & shouldn't enjoy. I finished comfortably in the top 10 in the accumulated league at the start of the season, so it's not like I'm incapable of predicting football results... the fact I choose to predict 'tactically' is because I enjoy it - when I'm competing against someone, I wanna beat them by whatever means I view necessary within the rules of the game - ain't that the whole point of the matchplay side of the season? otherwise we should all just go play ring-a-ring-a-roses, make daisy chains & have an accumulated league for the entire season.. If I copied & pasted someone's predictions, changed one result & won, would I been proud? "yo' gawd daym right!" that's the most satisfying way of beating someone!

As far as gloating goes, I just see it as part of the game - you're as much entitled to gloat about your victory as you are to throw your teddy out the cot & threaten to quit if you get beat. Obviously there are rules/boundaries & I wouldn't condone bullying etc, but a few playful jibes here & there just adds to the whole thing. People need to stop being so highly strung about predicting football results.

Let's face it, every week, there are about 5 or 6 (if not more, like this week) fixtures where pretty much everyone is gonna predict the same way - I bet if you look at the predictions as a whole, the vast majority of people will have gone for the same predictions (especially this week).

The so called 'tactical vote' being a golden ticket is a myth - as has been said, changing a result or two doesn't necessarily mean that you're gonna win.. a lot of the time your forcing a change. I actually enjoy looking at my opponents results (if they've predicted before me) & tailoring mine to theirs - quite often making a game out of something that would've otherwise been a draw. I'm having an absolute shocker this season, so I'm living proof that the tactical vote doesn't necessarily work all the time.

To me, the tactical vote adds a whole other dimension to proceedings - you predict early & take the risk.. if you don't want to, you hold off & try to take that advantage away from your opponent. To me, that's part of the fun.

The other week (when I was playing Alex), the tactical vote was part of my defence - I didn't want to give him the advantage by prediction early, so I ended up pulling over on the motorway at 13:55 to submit my vote on my phone.. obviously my 3G connection was abysmal & I didn't get them in, but I had way more fun doing that (along with the banter building up to it), than I would've if I'd just posted them on Tuesday afternoon... to each their own.

In my opinion, the best moments on 606 were the stand-offs that ran right up to the 11pm cut off, quite a few people used to be part of this, not just me & Alex. It was a big part of what brought people together.. it creates talking points & gives people an identity - otherwise we're just a group of faceless screen names submitting results each week.

Changing a rule just because one person can't take defeat with dignity is ridiculous & alienates those of us who are happy with the way things are. It's a dangerous precedent to set really.. I mean, if Oslo wasn't an 'established name' in the PL World, would his protest have resulted in a rule change? Are some members more important than others?

Any rule along the lines of "there must be at least 3 changes" is going to benefit the people who regularly submit their predictions in straight away (several weeks early in some cases!)... all you're doing is changing it so that the advantage is massively with those who've predicted early & would completely ruin the fun for me. Also, you'd then HAVE to predict tactically in order to make sure you had the minimum number of changes!

The fact Olso is having such a problem with the outcome of Round 10 says more about him than it does the Predictions League.

In other news, I do feel a bit sorry for Stubbzy - every week he seems to be the victim of PL snobbery from ex-606ers.. good way to welcome new members.

Thanks pal I do feel im seen as rather controversial. Whenever I am honest or stand up for my opinion I have indeed caused 2 ppl to threat quitting in some ways it seems as though my telling the truth is somewhat disliked.

I like both welshy (who is doing a great job) and oslo even though I have barely discussed many topics with him I still value him as a member the same as any.

I have my own system of predicting in some ways I suppose it could be deemed as tactical but not really in regards to this league other than the stubbzy v.s oslo incedent which I stood up and admitted what I didnt and gave my reason too why. I read pretty much every paper in the week and follow sport closer than most I like too think anyway also I read every teams news throughtout the week and then go to the bookies at the weekend to put my accys on. im fairly succesful at this and have made some good money for that. last year me and c.f had a convo regarding a certain milan based team ruing our accumelater I would of on loads of money but they got batterd by a team of much lesser stature.

like I have just said I read papers to get my insight for my bookie bets since I have joined this forum I have also valued reading peoples predictions and used some ppls opinions towards my nonforum bets and if im honest I have made close too £600 quid solely from the insight of my own and from some posts on here by doing the copy all but change too format. but I must further shout it I have only tactically predicted once.

I hope people carry on predicting as usual.