oneBoro Forum

Predictions League Round 10 Results [Saturday 21st January]

What started off as fun is getting serious again. Now we need special new rules bringing in mid season. WTF!! Its a game. You guess the outcome of 10 football games. Whether you have 10 lucky guesses, a serious long look at form or copy, paste and change a few what

does it matter? Some people post early, some late. Its all about when you have time to do it. So called tactical predicting is possibly part ofthe game. If Ferguson, Wenger or Mancini played weakened teams (to a certain degree)

or needed to draw to win titles would we moan? Probably yes but its part of the game.

I definately believe that the fun yet again is dissapearing and life is being taken a little too serious. Utmost respect to Oslo, you are of Viking blood so join us again and re plunder the PL. Stubbzy, I know little of you but I belive you are a great bloke with a wicked sense of humour who isn't afraid to express it.

So my rant is over. Maybe its through rose tinted glasses as I'm doing well in the league but I don't think its broke so it doesn't need fixing.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after Stubbzy's admission that he copied 8 of my predictions and then changed the other two, just to catch Treknut and I "was in the way", I have to say that this finishes it for me with the predictions league.

I've been in the PL since it started on 606 and so-called 'tactical predicting' has always been there but it now seems to have got completely out of hand. It's not just Stubbzy, but I've noticed that I've lost or drawn other matches for the same reason.

What's the answer? Leave your predicting until the 11th hour so that no one can copy you? That's not why I joined the PL.

As I see it, the PL is not about winning necessarily but about pitting your wits against your opponent. About looking at form and estimating the chances of a win, loss or draw. Without looking at what your opponent is doing.

That's the difference between sportsmanship and gamesmanship.

I've always played the PL with a straight bat, even though there have been times when I was sorely tempted to do otherwise. But surely that is in the spirit of what we are supposed to be doing.

This is certainly not a personal attack on you, Stubbzy, because you are only one of the many. In a way, it's a great pity that we can't make our predictions anonymously, so that only Welshy knows who has predicted what.

As it is, with the greatest regret, I hereby tender my resignation.

Bye bye from Norway. And happy predicting.

Totaly agree with you on this Syd.

This all started on 606 with a certain little red cock, after that it has just become the norm.

I mentioned on 606 that we should be able to send our predictions via email but certain people seemed to think tactical predicting was ok.

Anyway mate if you do happen to read this please dont leave it will be a poorer place without you.

Have to agree with the two posts above, although not to the extent of resigning.

It seems that I too was the victim of tactical predicting aswell today. That's fine, I'm not going to lose any sleep about it. Whatever Will has to do to keep him happy he is more than entitled to do. At the end of the day where is it going to get you? If the prize was £250k I would understand the logic. But is it really worth it for a Boro shirt? That's up to the predictor and whether they are really taking part in this league for the sole reason it was created, and that was to have fun.

The only solution is to PM Welshy your predictions. Yes people have said that they feel that tactical predicting should stand and is part and parcel of the game... That doesn't mean you can't PM if you wish to.

For me, ill carry on how I'm doing. If someone wishes to copy my predos bar one that's fine. It's not the be all and end all. I have a wife and 2 kids that are far more important.

I think a lot of people just need to lighten up and play the game how it was intended to be played.

Rant over. Hoping for a North London double this afternoon...

Oggy oggy oggy

Well, after Stubbzy's admission that he copied 8 of my predictions and then changed the other two, just to catch Treknut and I "was in the way", I have to say that this finishes it for me with the predictions league.

I've been in the PL since it started on 606 and so-called 'tactical predicting' has always been there but it now seems to have got completely out of hand. It's not just Stubbzy, but I've noticed that I've lost or drawn other matches for the same reason.

What's the answer? Leave your predicting until the 11th hour so that no one can copy you? That's not why I joined the PL.

As I see it, the PL is not about winning necessarily but about pitting your wits against your opponent. About looking at form and estimating the chances of a win, loss or draw. Without looking at what your opponent is doing.

That's the difference between sportsmanship and gamesmanship.

I've always played the PL with a straight bat, even though there have been times when I was sorely tempted to do otherwise. But surely that is in the spirit of what we are supposed to be doing.

This is certainly not a personal attack on you, Stubbzy, because you are only one of the many. In a way, it's a great pity that we can't make our predictions anonymously, so that only Welshy knows who has predicted what.

As it is, with the greatest regret, I hereby tender my resignation.

Bye bye from Norway. And happy predicting.

Although I heartily agree with your sentiments, I sincerely hope you reconsider, as its been great having you in the PL.

Tactical predicting shouldn't stand, at the end of the day, there are prizes involved and basically copying your opponents results is cheating.

I believe there is a simpler solution than PM'ing your results - If anyone is found doing it, they will get a week ban, if they continue, they are disqualified.

If I'm honest I tactically predict from time to time, perhaps once every other round. Is it really that bad? It's just a strategy! This competition is a bit of fun, but naturally I like to give myself the best chance to win. To hear it compared to cheating I think is ridiculous and probably quite offensive to the fairly substantial number who admit they do (as well as the fairly substantial number who do but are too scared to be truthful). Tactics are a big part of football itself - manager's set up their team to best get a result against their opponent, ie. some get men behind the ball, play a tight defensive game and try sneak one goal that might win it. Many similarities in my opinion. And if there's a new rule that says it's not allowed I think it will seriously complicate the league unless, as someone pointed out, predictions are sent via PM. What if a predictor randomly happens to predict all but one result the same as his opponent? How would it be defined as tactical predicting or coincidence?

If the rule is changed I will certainly adhere to it. But the way I see it a predictor has quit the PL because he lost a game and couldn't handle it and a big furore has come about as a result. It's just a competition. Part of the fun is the different tactics and characters. I tactically predict and currently sit 21st in my league, but I'm not going to cry about it.

A suggestion: In the tournament I'm running right now I put in a rule that says that once the competition gets to the one-on-one quarter-final stages competitors cannot copy opposition predictions exactly. The specifics of that I haven't yet decided. Perhaps I'm going to specify something along the lines of 'competitors must have at least 3 differences compared to their opponents predictions'. This isn't because I'm against tactical predicting. It's because once it gets to the knock-out stages I don't want to risk too many draws since the next knock-out stages in the Africa Cup of Nations come along quickly. I want as many outright winners as possible. Something along those lines might work in this PL if you're considering cutting down on tactical predicting. It wouldn't get rid of it entirely, but might create a middle ground. The only reason I bring that up with a little caution is that it might be very difficult to follow those rules up with so many predictors and match-ups to check up on. I can because by the knock-out stages of my PL there will only be 8 predictors. Additionally do predictors themselves really want to spend a lot of time trawling through pages to ensure that they didn't predict too similarly? Also, it kind of flips around the idea of predicting last as an advantage. Is that a good thing? I genuinely don't know. But the issue of the second predictor having to predict the odd result against his own judgement could be a point of contention. Just a thought, not necessarily a good one. Like I said, I will support and go along with any rule changes since this isn't my competition to run, but I do think banning tactical prediction will cause more problems then it solves.

Tactical predicting shouldn't stand, at the end of the day, there are prizes involved and basically copying your opponents results is cheating.

I believe there is a simpler solution than PM'ing your results - If anyone is found doing it, they will get a week ban, if they continue, they are disqualified.

That sounds a good idea Prowler and it would save Welshy a load of work.

But how could you prove someone has copied and changed the odd result which is what tends to happen.

At the end of the day, if you are happy with your own predictions then it should not matter whether someone copies them and changes a few, if you are happy and confident with your predictions then this shouldn't bother you

At the end of the day, if you are happy with your own predictions then it should not matter whether someone copies them and changes a few, if you are happy and confident with your predictions then this shouldn't bother you

Will,

Not sure if that's the case. It would bother people if they were quietly confident in what they had predicted. Only for someone to copy all bar one. (For the record, I don't see changing a few as tactical. It's when only one result is changed).

For example. I was confident my predictions would be enough to beat yours. Only to see you had copied all of mine bar one. Ultimately you came better off due to changing that one result, which swang in your favour.

My issue is it takes the fun out of it

Will,

Not sure if that's the case. It would bother people if they were quietly confident in what they had predicted. Only for someone to copy all bar one. (For the record, I don't see changing a few as tactical. It's when only one result is changed).

For example. I was confident my predictions would be enough to beat yours. Only to see you had copied all of mine bar one. Ultimately you came better off due to changing that one result, which swang in your favour.

My issue is it takes the fun out of it

I don't really know how you can accuse someone of "copying" your results, if we had the exact same opinion on the matches that were being played and predicted the same would one of us have copied the other?

Not neccesarily, this week i did not copy your predictions, i predicted myself on who i thought would win the matches, as for the first goalscorer, i put Emnes down almost every week because he is one of my favourite players who plays for us

For the record, I don't see changing a few as tactical. It's when only one result is changed.

If that's the definition of tactical predicting then I guess I don't. Bar one gameweek (maybe two actually) there have always been at least 2 or 3 differences between my predictions and my opponents.

To me tactical predicting isn't about changing one result though. It's about seeing your opponent's predictions and changing any that seem likely wrong, whereas perhaps keeping one fairly unpredictable result the same.

I'll take the more work if that means Oslo stays on. People can either continue to post on here or private message them to me. If people private message me I will post them after 2pm on a Saturday (of course they must be pm'd to me before 2pm to be included).

If I'm forking out (through my own choice) for prizes however little they are. Then I don't want people taking the p-ss.

This has cheesed me off, so - No diss, but my way or the highway.

I'll take the more work if that means Oslo stays on. People can either continue to post on here or private message them to me. If people private message me I will post them after 2pm on a Saturday (of course they must be pm'd to me before 2pm to be included).

If I'm forking out (through my own choice) for prizes however little they are. Then I don't want people taking the p-ss.

This has cheesed me off, so - No diss, but my way or the highway.

I don't think anyone is undermining your right to run the tournament the way you want Welshy. Nobody has said they will do otherwise if you put a new rule in place. I think this has just been a discussion about a contentious issue in the PL.

But, yes, I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone when I say we appreciate the effort, money and time that you have put into this competition. I don't think anyone is taking the ****.

I don't thinknanything should be changed my predictions would of been the same as oslos apart from 4 so I actually only copied 2 of his but nothing needs to be changed I think tactically predicting is fair.

As 2+2 says he uses tactical predicting but is unsuccessful so it ain't cheating.

Leave it as it is

Cheers lads. I was expecting a walkover in my match with welshy you've now ignited a fire in him I've not seen since he was my assistant predictor. I now feel a bit more pressure on my predictions. Phil Oakey will need to be played on repeat over and over again whilst predicting to add that inspiration that's been lacking.