oneBoro Forum

Woody

I don't think he cost us many points either! As an out and out defender I think we can't go wrong with McMahon, you want cole/johnson at full back then he's not your man.

Im not saying he did cost us points.

Im saying he isnt the difference between pushing from mid table to the play offs, he wont make that much of a difference and no other right back at this level will either.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone negative about us signing one of the best English defenders of his generation is out of their mind. He was immense, IMMENSE, in his first spell with us he knows the passion for the club locally and has pledged to end his career with us I fail to see any negative.

There's a reason he's played for Real Madrid, when he has been on the pitch he's proved to be a top class player end of story. There's no risk as far as I'm concerned he ticks nostalgia; passion and top quality boxes.

If he hadn't had his injuries in his career, with respect, I think he'd probably be at a top four club playing week in week out not ending his career with us.

We kept him fit last time he was with us, we do it again and he'll probably be the best CB in the Championship.

Not sure where the poster 'arabs' is coming from, whenever he's been on the pitch in his career he's proved to be a quality defender and as someone's posted already he'll be on a low risk wage packet because that's all we can afford.

I genuinely can't think of a better quality CB in the Championship than Woody...

I dont understand why people who are concerned with his fitness should accept 1 season at stoke where he was available for most of it being the answer.

His career speaks for it-self he has struggled with injury problems.

Yes he did well at middlesbrough, but that was a while ago wasnt it, the player has aged. People shouldnt be all cloudy eyed and remember 2008 alone should they?

There is a place between both camps where i reside happily. :D

he was earning 80k if i remember correctly during his last spell at boro. yes, he was a pl player and he had been a top class player once at Leeds. but he did not justify for earning half of that.

nothing was negative concerning his arrival but the length of the contract with considering he is now 32 and if he could maintain his fitness level in the coming 3 years.

If Boro have ever paid a player 80k a week, I will get a taxi to the transporter bridge and launch myself off it screaming hi dee diddy diddy oh.

The top earner bracket was 50-60k maximum if I recall?

I know Jimmy/Viduka were around the 50k mark and I remember they were regarded as our highest earners.

Woodgate would have been on a fair wedge but it wouldn't have been £80k a week that's mad money.

He had a few injury blighted years at Madrid, and they really wanted rid of him, he was told he'd have no future at Madrid. Why on earth would his wages go UP with his next move!? Jesus...

To be honest I think Woodgate was probably one of our best paid players. I seem to recall somebody mentioning that we were still paying around 20k per week of his wages as part of his package to go to Tottenham. At Tottenham he was on a reported 60k+ per week. 80k might be a little high but I don't doubt that we were paying Woodgate a very handsome salary last time round.