oneBoro Forum

Reserves vs. Billingham Synthonia (A) Tues 18th July - Match Report

Boro: Jayson Leutwiler, Bruno Pilatos (Oliver 65), Paul Weldon, Matthew Dolan, Christian Burgess, Adam Jackson, Ryan Brobbel, Curtis Edwards (Waters 65), Charlie Wyke (Kneeshaw 65), Walid Abeid (Souni 45), Jake Fowler (Sirrell 65).

Subs: Kyle Oliver, Nabil Souni, Lewis Sirrell, Wilson Kneeshaw, Matthew Waters, Unused: James Montgomery.

With Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson in attendance and the sun shining Middlesbrough fans saw football come back with a bang as the reserves faced a good Billingham Synthonia side at Central Avenue. Captaining Synners was former boro youth David Hillerby.

Middlesbrough started brightly getting into their usual short passing play, trialist Walid Abeid playing off the shoulder of main striker Wyke to good effect, many a time he dropped into the ‘hole’ to link up play with Fowler, Edwards and Brobbel. It was the Northern Irish youth International who had the first effort of the night pulling his shot wide left. Matthew Dolan playing in a holding midfield role was the first to test Billingham keeper Moody, Dolan struck a drive from distance superbly and the Synners keeper was forced to tip over the bar.

Leutwiler wasn’t just a spectator though, he saved well at his feet then moments later saved again when a Synners player manager to come down the boro left and got through 1on1.

Moody made a superb point bland save when Wyke managed to get onto the end of an Edwards cross, he hit the ball well from inside the 6 yard box but the Billingham keeper somehow managed to keep the ball out. Wyle wasn’t to be denied though, moments later he broke the offside trap and went through 1on1 with Moody after a good ball from Abeid, a little ball roll and the keeper went down and Wyke shifted the ball to his left foot and passed the ball into the net.

GOAL MIDDLESBROUGH 1-0 – Wyke

It was nearly 2-0 when Brobbel was put in well on the boro right, as he came inside he shot towards the far post but the ball went agonisingly wide.

HALF TIME – Middlesbrough 1 Billingham Synthonia 0

Middlesbrough sub, Abeid off Souni on

Along with Chairman Steve Gibson, manager Tony Mowbray and Nail Bauser were watching along with various members of the coaching staff and new Development coach Jamie Clapham. They didn’t have to wait long to see another goal when moments into the 2nd half Wyke received the ball well from Brobbel in the box and shifted the ball past the defender who miss timed his tackle and brought down the Boro number 9 for a penalty. Charlie dusted himself off and scored the penalty with a great strike high to the keepers left.

GOAL MIDDLESBROUGH 2-0 – Wyke (Pen)

Wyke was unlucky not to net a hat trick almost seconds later when he couldn’t stretch far enough to get onto the end of a teasing Bruno Pilatos cross. Pilatos was called into action at the other end when a corner found bobbled around in the box and Pilatos cleared off the line to safety.

Trialist Souni looked capable, collecting the ball, laying or off and moving into space. He started a move that went wide on the right to the impressive Brobbel, when he pulled the ball back Souni hit it clean but it smashed off the bar and straight to forward partner Wyke who stroked the ball into the net to score his 3rd of the night and claim the match ball.

GOAL MIDDLESBROUGH 3-0 – Wyke (hat trick)

Synners got a goal back when Dolan gave away a soft free kick on the edge of the box, trialist goal keeper Leutwiler was let down by his wall as they broke allowing a low shot to go into the corner.

GOAL BILLINGHAM 3-1

Boro readied the subs as influential midfielder Curtis Edwards limped towards the sideline.

Middlesbrough sub Edwards off Waters on, Fowler off Sirrell on, Wyke off Kneeshaw on, Pilatos off Oliver on.

Middlesbrough were not done in front of goal and Matty Dolan scored the goal of the game, reacting well to hit an overhead kick into the bottom corner of the Synners goal and make the score 4-1 to Middlesbrough.

GOAL MIDDLOESBROUGH 4-1 – Dolan

Not to be outdone skill wise new signing Christian Burgess showed a great piece of skill when brining the ball out of defence, flicking the ball up and over an attacking Synners player. Burgess continued where he left off last season forging a rock solid partnership with fellow defender Adam Jackson.

Just before full time Boro scored their 5th of the evening, a deep cross from substitute Kyle Oliver was met at the far post by fellow full back and development squad captain Paul Weldon who headed the ball into the net getting there just ahead of Souni.

GOAL MIDDLESBROUGH 5-1 – Weldon

FULL TIME – Middlesbrough 5 – Billingham 1

I hope you were chanting "We stole a goooal, we stole a goooooal. We're Middlesbrough, and we stole a goal" when it went from being 3-1 to 4-0.

I kid. Sounds like a good performance from the boys :D I don't know much of Wyke, I seem to remember he scored a fair few last year though in the reserves/development? Might be getting him mixed up with someone else though. Kneeshaw was another who seemed to be scoring for fun at the end of last season?

Kneeshaw did in fact "score " our sixth but was ruled of side and was.

Charlie Wyke is an enigma but he scores and scores and scores.......... and he had one well saved, one blocked and missed one by a hairs bredth as he slid in and tried to guide the ball in to the far corner. He's put on a bit of beef in the upper body and this will probably help him. I'm sorry but his work does not seem crisp and incisive and his goals are almost similar.

He puzzles me and he had an excellent scoring record for the u 18 the season before last. He doesn't look as though he is going to do anything much then bingo its another one in the back of the net. Having watched a little more closely he does actually move into space in the penalty area which is good.

We also know by virtue of who didn't appear last evening who is in the first team squad.

We've also had a look at the trialists. The keeper looked terrified before he went on for the warm up and was called upon but rarely. He lost a goal to "wall-failure" and missed a cross which was a bit of a surprise as he's a tall lad The other two were neat technical players who both worked hard but were not particularly effective.

My only surprise was the form of Kyle Oliver. He has always been technicaly excellent but rarely attacked. His cross for Weldon's goal was excellent. Maybe he is going to give Bruno a challange for the right back shirt.

Who is the reserve right back in the first team squad or are we just going with one ?

We also know by virtue of who didn't appear last evening who is in the first team squad.

to think that after the first pre season game of the season would be folly.

Especially as some players have been carrying minor knocks.

Powlay I probably should have said "for Falkirk" rather than for the season.

Not as bright and alive as I'd like this am as they closed part of the M62 on the way home and I was a lot later home than I'd expected

You would normally have expected to find Luke Williams,Park, Atkinson, Reach and possibly Gibson to be part of this group for example. Hence those who do not have an injury can presumably expect to get a run out on Sunday or at very worst 18 of the group will play or be on the bench.

Have a nice day out

Parks carrying a knock given to him by Williams i believe. David Atkinson is months away from being able to play. (according to a source) He has yet to recover fully from a dislocated knee cap suffered late last season for the reserves.

Williams, Gibson and Reach yes i suspect will all be part of the squad at Falkirk.

I must admit I feel very sorry for Atkinson. He has always looked a football player and a talented one at that. I do hope he can get over this setback

A bit of an oddball request but was the ground we played at last evening the site of an athletics track used for a GB team v Belgium international.

I'd guess I was talking about early 60s

i remember seeing beagrie in his last ever game for the boro against billingham town, we had pallister mowbray ripley etc etc and looked on top but it was a typical preseason friendly , then in the second half beagrie came on (there must have been scouts watching) and he took the game apart , he was head an shoulders above anyone else on the pitch . so i would have thought anyone looking to get a contract should do that in a friendly and if they dont they arent good enough