oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

My frustration is that people say we should "give the youth a chance!" and then write off the likes of Stones, Keane, Maguire etc afternoon only a handful of games. We can't have it both ways...

For me, the era of picking aging players who'd had their chances and not delivered went on far too long, and from the Hodgson era onward we should've been bedding in some of the younger talents; playing the long game and preparing the foundation to make a real go of it 8-10 years later.

We've not been genuinely World Class for about 2 decades now. That's perhaps a little harsh on the Beckham/Gerrard/Lampard era, but those were islands of hope in an ocean of diarrhoea.

The Midfield is woeful. Give young lads like Tom Davies a few minutes in competitive matches and the full 90 in friendlies; let them find their feet in International Football over time reather than expecting the world from them so soon. Bring in the likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez to replace the dross who fail to convince time-and-time-again. Bed them in early; bed them in slowly.

We're not going to win anything anytime soon, so build the foundations for the future instead. I'd enjoy watching that one hell of a lot more too...

• Replies 34.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

The solution is to do away with international football. Its crap.

Seriously? The World Cup is fantastic, a massively enjoyable event that brings a lot of pleasure to a lot of people worldwide.

Just because England aren’t great at the moment, doesn’t mean that the entire concept of international football should be abolished.

This attitude is symptomatic of the premier league era fans who believe The premier league is the be all and end all and no other football matters.

I don't follow England, so you can stick your patronising tone back in your pocket smart ar5e.

The Olympics comes around every 4 years and that's also "a massively enjoyable event" ...doesn't mean i want to watch the Diamond League every 2 months.

What was patronising about that comment?

I was disagreeing with your opinion, you reckon all international football should be abolished, I'm telling you that people all over the world love international football and that it is very important to a lot of people.

I apologise for assuming that you follow England, I know nothing of your background or nationality so it was a crass assumption.

Which International team do you follow and why have they driven you to the point of wanting them "done away with" ?

We should have pre qualifying the likes of San Marino Luxembourg Faroe isle. Etc etc should qualify a*** themselves giving them all a chance to win some games reduce our groups to 4 teams so we play 6 games against better opposition and the remaining 4 games we've lost can be friendlies against top sides

We should have pre qualifying  the likes of San Marino  Luxembourg Faroe isle.  Etc etc should qualify a*** themselves giving them all a chance to win some games  reduce our groups to 4 teams so we play 6 games against better opposition and the remaining 4 games we've lost can be friendlies against top sides

I like the sound of that idea, It would improve qualifying no end.

This attitude is symptomatic of the premier league era fans who believe The premier league is the be all and end all and no other football matters.

I haven't enjoyed international football since France 98 or Euro 2000. I don't connect with the England football team and the circus that goes with it. I'd like them to win but i have an apathetic response whatever the result.

You're right though you have no idea what my age, background or reason for enjoying football is....

I haven't enjoyed international football since France 98 or Euro 2000. I don't connect with the England football team and the circus that goes with it. I'd like them to win but i have an apathetic response whatever the result.

You're right though you have no idea what my age, background or reason for enjoying football is....

I don't think I mentioned age, I was just curious to know which international team you followed.

By your own admission you'd like England to win, so insulting me for assuming that you followed England is a bit rich.

World Cup every two years, more inclusive with more teams.

Scrap all the other international tournaments. Does anyone really care who the best team in Europe is? Let's be honest, the Euros are just a pants world cup.

Scrap qualifying. Replace it with a qualifying event in the summer before the World Cup.

If you're pants in the previous World Cup, you have to go through qualifying. If you get out of the groups, you automatically qualify for the next World Cup.

Joke teams like San Marino have to pre-qualify against all the other dross, to even get into qualifying.

No more rubbish international football. Much more entertaining and inclusive World Cups. No more disruption to the domestic season.

I faxed this to FIFA but it was 14 seconds too late.

Similar to Humpty, the last england side I can remember being whole heartedly connected to was in Euro '96. What a team that was... Was heartbroken in that penalty shoot out... granted I was only 9 that summer...

The interest for international football has been declining for many years. There's probably not a right answer to why. Sociologists will tell you it's a shift in the type of society. Others will tell you it's just more interesting to follow club football.

Or maybe the players and other personalities have become so out of touch with the working class that following them is hard.

I, like Humpty, don't really follow international football all that much. Many years of boring football, disappointments and the ***ing insane prices for tickets.. Interest has been going up here in Denmark, but I guess that has to do with a certain Eriksen scoring for fun - and some hefty investment in marketing.

World Cup every two years, more inclusive with more teams.

Scrap all the other international tournaments. Does anyone really care who the best team in Europe is? Let's be honest, the Euros are just a pants world cup.

Scrap qualifying. Replace it with a qualifying event in the summer before the World Cup.

If you're pants in the previous World Cup, you have to go through qualifying. If you get out of the groups, you automatically qualify for the next World Cup.

Joke teams like San Marino have to pre-qualify against all the other dross, to even get into qualifying.

No more rubbish international football. Much more entertaining and inclusive World Cups. No more disruption to the domestic season.

I faxed this to FIFA but it was 14 seconds too late.

So basically like CSGO does it major system?!

16 teams a major, 8 make it out of groups & auto qualify for next major, 8 that don't go into the main qualifier, everyone else has to enter the "minors" or the qualifiers for the qualifier for the major.