• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Story from Blues fans in Brum is that Monk was angry about the sale of Jota over his head, as well as the impending sale of others - including Che Adams - again, without his being consulted. Add to that the awful way the ownership dealt with things last season...

Monk was pushed before he walked - that's the claim. Another manager who overachieved there being pushed out. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Story from Blues fans in Brum is that Monk was angry about the sale of Jota over his head, as well as the impending sale of others - including Che Adams - again, without his being consulted. Add to that the awful way the ownership dealt with things last season...

Monk was pushed before he walked - that's the claim. Another manager who overachieved there being pushed out. 

Read a few days ago that he was incredibly annoyed at the Jota deal.  Jota for Gary Gardner and a couple of million was all done and dusted without consulting him. 

Can understand how he'd feel like he needs to leave if decisions kept being made above him. 

Still baffled how the Birmingham powers that be thought Jota in a swap deal for Gardener was a good deal. 

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Reading and Sheffield wed are both under soft transfer embargoes..  sign of things to come after years of overspending in the championship?

Wednesday are a strange one they have not submitted any of their accounts. Hence their "soft embargo".

I'd keep an eye on that as potentially they could be treading a legal tightrope if it isn't just the FA they haven't submitted their accounts too.

14 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I just don't understand where that time went. Why didn't it get added on to the extra time? That's awful reffing

Yeah was very poor. Both teams seemed to be questioning the lack of added time. Especially after the VAR for the penalty then the VAR for the retake.

VAR in its present form will absolutely ruin football. The game as we know it will change beyond recognition. It will become a non contact sport because every coming together will be analysed. 

Next season, Match of the day pundits will spend more time discussing VAR decisions than the actual games themselves. 

The over scrutinising of match incidents by TV pundits has lead to the introduction of VAR, to a certain extent, yet it will be TV that suffers when views grow bored of 100 minute plus games, goals that have been celebrated, then annulled due to a toe being slightly ahead of a heel, linesmen refusing to call offside and constantly retaken penalties. 

Im not sure how long it will last, but I hope it isn’t here to stay, for the good of the game. 

• Like 3

I totally agree Billy. It has already to an extent spoiled the best thing about football - the passion of celebrating a goal. Now any goal could be wiped for something you had no chance of seeing from the stands or even on TV. It will be in the back of fans mind every time a goal is scored now.

People say 'who cares if it's the right decision'... well I do. The above is more important to me. I don't care if a few marginal decisions get called wrong. If it takes 3-5 minutes of 3 refs looking at multiple angles and replays then it was hardly a 'clear and obvious' error - I would argue if it can't be easily dealt with in a few seconds then you may as well just have gone with the refs gut call anyway.

Goal line tech is great - takes 1 second and is binary. Right or wrong. Next season will be a nightmare. All that will be talked about is VAR. Penalties every game for contact in the box and goals ruled out for minor rubbish that nobody would ever have even noticed. It will be talked about more than bad reffing ever was... yet another reason I'm actually glad to be watching Championship football next year. 

• Like 1

I think the best way forward with VAR would be for teams to have say 2 challenges a game if the appeal is right they keep the challenge. 

Theres so many decisions this season where harsh calls have been made. Every time the ball brushes the arm seems to immediately result in a foul which doesnt really take into consideration the speed, distance and power between the ball and the opponent it strikes. There are also so many inconsistencies of when it is used currently at the last world cup a Colombian player should have been sent off for head butting Henderson and Henderson arguably could have been sent off later in the game for another off the ball incident yet VAR was not used despite replays we all saw. 

On last night the referee was ridiculous. The best part of stoppage time was her looking at a screen and waiting for the penalty without adding that time to be added on. That said at 3-0 and with 18 minutes left you shouldn't be drawing that game.

4 hours ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I think the best way forward with VAR would be for teams to have say 2 challenges a game if the appeal is right they keep the challenge. 

You either go the cricket/tennis route with the challenges. Which in my opinion would work thw best for football.

Or you go the rugby route but then the natural flow of a game of football is then severely hampered. I love both codes of rugby and love how video refs are used in both, but in my opinion it would not work for football.

Edited by DanFromDownSouth

Shows the crazy state of finances in English football that they're about to to out of the u21 euros yet most of the squad wouldnt go for any less than 30 to 40mil a pop

It was a decent game of football to watch albeit both defences were non-existent in the last half an hour. 

Young Hagi looks like hes going to be some player like his dad. Puscas also looked a good little player as well. If only we had the same pulling power of 2002 Hagi could have our modern Maccarone. ?