• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, ballyclover said:

Don't recall this much fuss when Darlo were put into liquidation and demoted to lower realms. However much i feel for the fans.

Maybe there’s more exposure nowadays?

i think it’s horrendous no matter which team it is. Fans are fans and they all love their own particular club. I remember 86 and I’m gutted for any of them.

No need for any whataboutism if that's aimed at us. I don't imagine anyone wished Darlington's downfall on them either. But naturally Darlington had already dropped out of the football league by the time they hit that stage so it wasn't very much part of the national news, that's all. Darlington's story is mad, the 25,000 seater stadium made for a club getting 2,000 fans to a game.

I think there is more exposure/awareness now, and also Darlo had a lower profile anyways. Darlo were my second team (with Spennymoor my non-league team). It is still heart breaking to go past on the train and see that stadium sat there. Once the two teams were in the same division, I started increasingly leaning towards Spenny as my second team - possibly because Darlo is still an open wound. I still very much remember the emotional turmoil of the time - and struggling with the combination of grief about Darlo coupled with relief it wasn't Boro, and then feeling guilty about the relief I felt. It is very sad that it has to happen to other fans. None of the Darlo fans I know ever talk about it - I think the focus is on the present because the past is just too painful. 

I really hope it doesn't come to this, but what would happen in terms of promotion and relegation if two teams disappear from League One? Would two extra non-league teams be promoted into the League next season to bring us back up to 92 clubs?

14 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I really hope it doesn't come to this, but what would happen in terms of promotion and relegation if two teams disappear from League One? Would two extra non-league teams be promoted into the League next season to bring us back up to 92 clubs?

I would guess so, yes, only 2 would go down instead of 4 while 4 will come up from L2 and 2 extra from the VNL will go into L2

5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I would guess so, yes, only 2 would go down instead of 4 while 4 will come up from L2 and 2 extra from the VNL will go into L2

Then there’d be an imbalance in the national league - 4 teams go up only two go down. 

Ah ya know what I could be wrong, maths is far from my strong suit. But I think you’d have to either do it right the way down the football pyramid or block off relegation in one league. 

16 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

Sky Sports treating the Bury and Bolton situation's like transfer deadline day with a countdown clock.

They’re an embarrassment. I hate modern football too, Ayresome7. But it’s also all I’ve ever known. I once said to an older football fan about how frustrating it is that success in football is almost entirely decided by money. He said that’s always been the way. But surely it is so, so much worse now there is so much more money in the game? Because it’s not just about money deciding success, it’s everything that come along with money’s influence. The disgusting fees paid for players, the egos bred amongst players from massive wages/agents in their ears, the decline of northern clubs. I know I’m not saying anything new but Christ it’s depressing.  

And sky having a deadline day style countdown timer in an attempt to sensationalise the probable death of two of England’s most historic clubs just epitomises it all. 

Edited by RealSlimSladeyy
  • Like 3
17 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Then there’d be an imbalance in the national league - 4 teams go up only two go down. 

Ah ya know what I could be wrong, maths is far from my strong suit. But I think you’d have to either do it right the way down the football pyramid or block off relegation in one league. 

No you're right actually you would have to keep going down all the leagues, I was typing in a hurry and didn't consider that. You would be dealing with 2 less teams in the VNL then.

Maybe 1 more each come up from the VNL N and S and they just have one team less each? ?

Or maybe this is the catalyst for the bigger reshuffle that has been mentioned on and off for years now.

I suppose we could drop down to 90 league clubs, but I can't see any benefit. Might as well share the League Two profile (such as it is) and the trickle of Sky money with two currently non-league clubs.

There was a thing last week which said that if Bury were expelled there would be one less team relegated from L1 and L2, but teams would be promoted as usual. They may just apply that to both teams which would mean no one relegated from league 2.

Edit - the information was about halfway down this page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49434347

Edited by White Band