oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Other clubs have sacked players for drink driving. 

One of the drink drivers was responsible for the crash that ended the season of the club captain, regardless of his own involvement in the drinking. There are clear and defined contractual obligations for all players. Derby going for the 'ends justifies the means' play again, much like with the stadium and all that. 

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Mason Bennett, 23, was arrested by police on Tuesday night along with teammate Tom Lawrence, 25, after the pair crashed their cars.

The pair had been on a team-building drinking session with others stars of the Championship side earlier in the day.

Now Snapchat videos uploaded on the night by teammate and ex-England star Tom Huddlestone, 32, have surfaced.

They show Bennett vomiting into a urinal while fellow players mock him for only having “three pints of Peroni”.

He had been travelling in the back of team-mate Tom Lawrence's Range Rover when it was in collision with fellow player Mason Bennett's car before smashing into a lamppost.

Court

Claims have now emerged that Lawrence (25) and Bennett (23) fled the scene, leaving father-of-one Keogh alone, unconscious and injured.

"Tom came flying behind [Mason] in his SVR. He was going so quick that he smashed into the back of Mason's car which spun and flipped round," it said.

"Tom's car then carried on and crashed into a lamppost on the other side of the road.

"Richard was in the back of the car which had all of Tom's gear in it. So Richard was sat on loads of stuff with no room on the back seat and his legs were up and on the side.

"His knees were to the side too. And they smashed into the car. He's f**ked himself and smashed his face up as well."

The source said Keogh's team-mates left the scene and drove to a flat in Bennett's damaged car before realising their captain wasn't with them.

"They then drove back to the crash and there were ambulances and police and they got arrested and got let out yesterday at 3pm."

They should be suspended until the court case completes, then sacked if found guilty. 

1 minute ago, boroie said:

Other clubs have sacked players for drink driving. 

One of the drink drivers was responsible for the crash that ended the season of the club captain, regardless of his own involvement in the drinking. There are clear and defined contractual obligations for all players. Derby going for the 'ends justifies the means' play again, much like with the stadium and all that. 

I've no doubt that were they less important fringe players, Derby wouldn't have given it a second thought and would have got rid. I also think we'd do the exact same thing if Paddy McNair or Dael Fry were involved in something similar. If it was Rudy Gestede, he'd be gone in a heartbeat.

But whilst I don't agree Derby should be making moral decisions based on the quality of the player involved, I also don't think clubs should fire players for any criminal offence and if indeed they do choose not to, the 'rehabilitation' path they've seemingly chosen is the correct one. Those players, and as an extension Derby, are going to get a lot of stick for a long time up and down the country for this. If they're willing to atone for their actions and work hard to restore the club's image, they should probably be given the platform to do that. Make them do more work in the community, get them speaking to fans who would like to teach them a thing or two about drink driving. They're young lads, they've made a mistake and  mutually beneficial for Derby to give them a platform to make amends for it.

Having said that, I do agree with you that they should really be suspended at least for now. But hey... at least they're not as bad as A**m J*****n.

37 minutes ago, boroie said:

They should be suspended until the court case completes, then sacked if found guilty. 

Agree with this. Dispicable that anybody anywhere thinks that this should be okay under any circumstances. Innocent people could have been caught up in this with tragic consequences. There is no excuse 

• Like 2

I see your point @wilsoncgp but I'm with @Blanco here. Anyone who has been impacted by drink driving would probably agree. It's a despicable senseless selfish act when taxis are so readily available. Like it or not, they are role models and should be treated harshly. It's not okay to do this. There's no question of guilt here, they were caught red handed. 

• Like 1

Tomori and Abraham getting called up for England today, decent players who could play for Nigeria if England don't lock them down.

Nice change to see young English players coming through Chelsea, even if it's because their hands are forced.

• Like 1

There is no question of guilt mate, I'm not questioning their guilt. I'm just questioning two things:

1) Whether sacking people who do something wrong is based on anything other than a conversation of their value/quality vs. the public image of the company that hires them, my opinion is that it is and it shouldn't be. Derby have almost certainly done this, as I said we probably would too.

2) Whether sacking people who commit criminal offences solves the problem and gives the young men responsible a chance at rehabilitating and stopping them from doing it again. I'd argue that by vilifying them and not supporting them, you're giving them a bigger chance of re-offending. If a member of your family crashed whilst drink driving, would you expel them from your family regardless of the circumstances of the crash? I'd hazard a guess that you maybe wouldn't, the response after the fact is just as important I think and giving them a platform to learn from it and move forward with their lives is. Not every time but in this situation, the culprits appear to be self-contained within the accident/s and they'd do well being put in a position to learn from it from people who have created much worse damage than they have. Dismissing them out of hand would send a message that they aren't capable of doing that, I choose to believe they can.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

There is no question of guilt mate, I'm not questioning their guilt. I'm just questioning two things:

1) Whether sacking people who do something wrong is based on anything other than a conversation of their value/quality vs. the public image of the company that hires them, my opinion is that it is and it shouldn't be. Derby have almost certainly done this, as I said we probably would too.

2) Whether sacking people who commit criminal offences solves the problem and gives the young men responsible a chance at rehabilitating and stopping them from doing it again. I'd argue that by vilifying them and not supporting them, you're giving them a bigger chance of re-offending. If a member of your family crashed whilst drink driving, would you expel them from your family regardless of the circumstances of the crash? I'd hazard a guess that you maybe wouldn't, the response after the fact is just as important I think and giving them a platform to learn from it and move forward with their lives is. Not every time but in this situation, the culprits appear to be self-contained within the accident/s and they'd do well being put in a position to learn from it from people who have created much worse damage than they have. Dismissing them out of hand would send a message that they aren't capable of doing that, I choose to believe they can.

I don't know. You make a compelling argument but there should be some consequences to this. Most contracts in professional walks of life have a similar clause that if you are convicted of a crime you can be summarily dismissed. The issue here is purely down to inherent value of the person to the employer. 

15 hours ago, northern boro said:

Wales have included Tom Lawrence in the squad for this months Euro 2020 qualifiers he is due to play just 2 days before he appears in court

To be fair to Wales, they need all the help they can get.

26 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Then Braithwaite has scored but Leganes losing 2-1 and at bottom of La Liga so reckon he'll be on the move in January as he's just too good for a relagation fight

Great to see his move failing.

Hope they go down just because of him.