• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Rumours about Keogh under influence of cocaine...

That’s still not nearly as bad as drunk driving, crashing your car and fleeing the scene

I know, mate ...

But if the players have signed contracts, where a little socialized drinking is "ok" but under no circumstances are drugs seen as ok, then the *** club Derby have their rights to sack RK. 

That doesn't make it right, but maybe legal for them .. and they might not be dragged to court. 

Watching Bournemouth-United I can’t help but feel very envious towards bournemouth. When you compare us and them it’s very clear how important it is to have actual football men in charge that can make the right decisions. They more or less only make the right decisions while we do the exact opposite. And they make it work with a stadium that’s only a third of the riverside. 

26 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Watching Bournemouth-United I can’t help but feel very envious towards bournemouth. When you compare us and them it’s very clear how important it is to have actual football men in charge that can make the right decisions. They more or less only make the right decisions while we do the exact opposite. And they make it work with a stadium that’s only a third of the riverside. 

Their owner is multi-billionaire, which is more than enough to compensate for a small match day attendance, they've spent a fortune to get where they are, it's not just down to nous and clever decisions.

It helps that their manager is half decent though.

Edited by TeaCider24
15 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Their owner is multi-billionaire, which more than enough to compensate for a small match day attendance, they've spent a fortune to get where they are, it's not just down to nous and clever decisions.

It helps that their manager is half decent though.

Has he spent more than Gibson over the last 10 years? They’ve been on the Prem for a while now and have made a lot of clever signings. 

2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Has he spent more than Gibson over the last 10 years? They’ve been on the Prem for a while now and have made a lot of clever signings. 

Can't be arsed going back 10 years, he's only been there 8 as is, but I'll do the last 5 years based on Transfermarkt (not necessarily accurate), which is from the season they beat us to promotion.

Bournemouth - £242.43m expenditure, £76.085m income, £166.345m net spend

Middlesbrough - £154.84m expenditure, £128.6m income, £26.24m net spend.

Obviously Bournemouth have had 4 seasons in the PL to our 1 in that time, but they've spent a great deal more than Middlesbrough.

You also have to look at the income of the club. You can’t just look at transfer spend. Three more years in the Prem will obviously mean a much higher transfer spend. id hazard a guess and say their finances are much better than ours without the chairman contributing. 

Probably, because they've had £100m+ in tv money every season for the last 4 years.

I actually imagine that they probably benefit slightly from their stadium being a shed, with the gate having a negligible impact on their income, as they probably don't have to spend anywhere near as much on staff, maintenance etc.

But you can see from teams like Sunderland and Villa how quickly it can implode when you drop out of the league, but I doubt they've been as daft with their signings as those two clubs have.

To be fair, I don't know why I'm arguing as you're right and Bournemouth clearly are well run, but I don't think it's particularly impressive when you look at the investment and income. They've been mid table and have had decent half seasons that have kept them from the drop after bad runs of form.

I think Burnley are the better example to follow, but even they spent a fair chunk to cement themselves up there and were relegated twice before they did so.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:25 PM, boroie said:

I don't know. You make a compelling argument but there should be some consequences to this. Most contracts in professional walks of life have a similar clause that if you are convicted of a crime you can be summarily dismissed. The issue here is purely down to inherent value of the person to the employer. 

I can't believe that Lawrence and Bennett still play as normal members of the club while club captain Keogh was sacked for not driving on the night that his career was ended. It's disgusting and their game against us should be invalidated.

I feel incredibly strongly about drink driving and the consequences. And seeing one of the perpetrators of this scenario being free to play and score against boro becaused "he was scared of prison" is ridiculous. Absolutely insanely ridiculous. I hope Richard Keogh takes them to court and destroys them. They asked him to take a paycut before sacking him ?  

I don't mean to invalidate your feelings on drink driving boroie, not at all. We all know that it could have gone worse than it did. They were very lucky boys to come away from it only damaging their own image and ending the playing career of someone who won't have been far from retirement anyway.

But that is what happened. I think the way Derby's internal laws somehow don't match up to that of the courts is mad. Sacking Keogh seems like a dreadful move. The other two, as I've said I agree they're probably doing it to keep good players part of the setup, especially Lawrence, not because of the point I'm about to make. But as I've said before, they're young lads who've made a stupid mistake and whilst being punished, there is a better way to punish them than just throwing them out and trying to throw their careers under a bus.

Because they're lucky enough to come away without hurting anybody else or worse, they need to have the possibilities of their accident driven into them so they'll never do it again. And they do also need to be rehabilitated because I'm sure it wasn't something the rest of the squad were happy with, particularly given what happened to their captain. Never mind what fans around the country are now reasonably going to do every time they step foot onto a pitch. Not many of those fans will remember that Lawrence recently lost his mother and already wasn't in a good state of mind before the accident.

8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't mean to invalidate your feelings on drink driving boroie, not at all. We all know that it could have gone worse than it did. They were very lucky boys to come away from it only damaging their own image and ending the playing career of someone who won't have been far from retirement anyway.

But that is what happened. I think the way Derby's internal laws somehow don't match up to that of the courts is mad. Sacking Keogh seems like a dreadful move. The other two, as I've said I agree they're probably doing it to keep good players part of the setup, especially Lawrence, not because of the point I'm about to make. But as I've said before, they're young lads who've made a stupid mistake and whilst being punished, there is a better way to punish them than just throwing them out and trying to throw their careers under a bus.

Because they're lucky enough to come away without hurting anybody else or worse, they need to have the possibilities of their accident driven into them so they'll never do it again. And they do also need to be rehabilitated because I'm sure it wasn't something the rest of the squad were happy with, particularly given what happened to their captain. Never mind what fans around the country are now reasonably going to do every time they step foot onto a pitch. Not many of those fans will remember that Lawrence recently lost his mother and already wasn't in a good state of mind before the accident.

This is not, and should not, ever be an excuse for drink-driving.

No but to say when you lose someone important to you in your life that you just take it like a professional every time and that your behaviour won't change is expecting people to act like robots. It's just not how the brain works. I absolutely believe he could become severely more erratic as a result.