• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

14 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

The frustrating thing is, Montenegro are absolutely terrible and have still had 3 good chances to get a goal.

Its just as well we're in such a weak group, or we'd struggle to qualify.

Much as I hate to be "that guy", its hard to be impressed with a performance like that. I know you can only beat whats in front of you, but its an old story now. We steamroll the minnows (albeit not without a few scares) then as soon as we come up against a decent side we struggle.

Wow, are you lot Pulis in disguise?!? Who cares if you let up a few chances and smash in 7. It was a very attacking line up and against a better team we would have played the likes of Rice and Henderson in the centre.

We're not blessed with world class defenders, but we have an amazing front three and attacking full-backs - personally I'd rather see us play to those strengths and get caught out occasionally than play timid, frightened football like England have for donkeys.

Five years ago this would have been a comfortable but tediously boring 1-0 with a Rooney pen in the 85th minute. 

• Haha 1

It's hard to be impressed with a 7-0 win, why not just be happy with it then?  We're Boro fans and we've scored 13 goals in 16 games this season by way of comparison. I can be more than happy as an England fan watching them score 7 against anyone.  France beat Moldova 2-1 and Serbia beat Luxembourg 3-2 last night while England were failing to impress with their 7-0 win.

• Like 2

My point is that England didn't even look fully comfortable against an awful scratch Montenegro side.

The defense has been carved apart repeatedly in these qualifiers, and I'm sure John Stones still has nightmares about throwing away that semi-final against the Netherlands. A lot of the trouble come from needlessly playing it out from the back and inviting pressure.

England's attack has been fantastic for a while now, I've not said any different, 33 goals in 7 games is brilliant, but if anything they look less secure defensively since the World Cup.

I'd back England against any team at the Euros, but they're currently never comfortable even with a solid lead.

They were 5-1 up against Kosovo and were practically hanging on at the end.

22 hours ago, Changing Times said:

It's hard to be impressed with a 7-0 win, why not just be happy with it then?  We're Boro fans and we've scored 13 goals in 16 games this season by way of comparison. I can be more than happy as an England fan watching them score 7 against anyone.  France beat Moldova 2-1 and Serbia beat Luxembourg 3-2 last night while England were failing to impress with their 7-0 win.

Its hard to be impressed because I've seen it all before in too many tournaments, going back over 20 years or more.

England get put into a weak group (or with 1 other decent country), we qualify comfortably, then as soon as we get to the knockout stages and have to play decent opposition, we struggle and scrape past...until we get knocked out.

I mean you've got a VERY short memory if you've already forgotten what happened to us against the mighty Kosovo. 

Also, the difference is France have won a few trophies in the last couple of decades.

England have yet to prove they can deliver when it really matters. Yes they did pretty well in Russia for a new team with a manager in charge for his first major tournament, but our defensive frailties were horribly exposed and our much lauded attacking line-up struggled against organised defences.

As far as I'm concerned I'm just telling it how it is: we look good stomping minnows...not so great against better teams.

I mean, would you be impressed with someone who completed a video game on the easiest setting?

Edited by AnglianRed
5 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Its hard to be impressed because I've seen it all before in too many tournaments, going back over 20 years or more.

England get put into a weak group (or with 1 other decent country), we qualify comfortably, then as soon as we get to the knockout stages and have to play decent opposition, we struggle and scrape past...until we get knocked out.

I mean you've got a VERY short memory if you've already forgotten what happened to us against the mighty Kosovo. 

Also, the difference is France have won a few trophies in the last couple of decades.

England have yet to prove they can deliver when it really matters. Yes they did pretty well in Russia for a new team with a manager in charge for his first major tournament, but our defensive frailties were horribly exposed and our much lauded attacking line-up struggled against organised defences.

As far as I'm concerned I'm just telling it how it is: we look good stomping minnows...not so great against better teams.

I mean, would you be impressed with someone who completed a video game on the easiest setting?

Don't be impressed then, just be happy with a 7-0 win like I said.

In the past 18 months England have made it to the World Cup semi finals and the Nations League finals.  That's better than a lot of good teams including - Spain, Belgium, Argentina, Germany, Italy and plenty of others.  We lost to Croatia after extra time in a game we probably should have won by half time and Holland after extra time in a game that we could have won but obviously didn't.  To get to the Nations League finals we had to beat both Spain and Croatia and to get to the World Cup semi finals we had to beat both Colombia and Sweden, who are both decent sides.  I think we're a better team now than we were in the World Cup as well.  We lost to Belgium in the group stage and then again the third place play off but we changed the team for both of those games, rightly or wrongly.  So whilst we did lose the games, we also didn't give either of them our best shot.

Against the mighty Kosovo we won 5-3, my memory is fine.  Winning and scoring 5 goals sounds pretty good to me.  The mighty Kosovo have lost twice this year - to us and 2-1 against Czech Republic.  They've also beaten the Czech Republic and drawn with Denmark so they aren't a terrible side by any means.

France have won a few trophies over the past few decades.  They've also been a better team than us over the last few decades as have Spain so that seems fair enough to me.

Our much lauded attacking line up has done fine unless we don't count putting 3 past Spain and beating Croatia?  During the world cup we weren't playing like this so it's really only post the world cup that we've had the opportunity to see it in action and so far it's done pretty well.  When it gets tested against better teams next year we'll see how it goes then of course.

We've put 3 past Spain, 5 past Czech Republic, 6 and 4 past Bulgaria, 5 and 7 past Montenegro and 5 past Kosovo in the last year or so.  I'm not sure it's fair to call them all minnows and if you look around there aren't many teams doing that with the same regularity.  Montenegro the other night weren't a pub side, we are the only team who have stuffed them over the past 3 or 4 years and that includes games against Denmark, Poland, Romania, Czech Republic, Hungary, Turkey and Serbia.  We're a much better side than them but they aren't hopeless and have been competitive against decent sides other than us.

I don't see the relevance between a video game on the easiest setting and England.  We're not playing San Marino, Andorra etc, the teams we are playing are better than that, and as I pointed out above, we've done ok even in competitive games against good opposition.

• Like 3

I really wish Ireland were as poor as some of you lot seem to think England are. Bloody hell you lot have one hell of a good team there. I don’t know how anyone can complain about them.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I really wish Ireland were as poor as some of you lot seem to think England are. Bloody hell you lot have one hell of a good team there. I don’t know how anyone can complain about them.

It's these uncomfortable 7-0 wins that are the problem, mate 🤭

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

It's these uncomfortable 7-0 wins that are the problem, mate 🤭

Ah now I understand. It must be embarrassing playing two games in a few days, scoring 11 and conceding 0. Yeah that’s pretty s**t alright 🙄

• Haha 1