oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

57 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Some interesting theories starting to crop up about what might happen with the football season, including this one:

That’s interesting, although I guess 2 teams would come up from div 1 and none relegated, I’m not sure how they will sort out European places.

I’d like to see the season scrapped and all teams made to start next season with the squad of players that they started this one with, then it hey would only be able to sign the players in January that they signed last January. It seems fairest you me 😃

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

For me there are only two options. Finish the season by June 30th or declare it all void.

We can't really go beyond this date with player registrations.

I don't see any issue with finishing the season at the start of the next one tbh if it comes down to it.  Player registrations doesn't seem that important a factor to me really.  Squads have changed during the season - we signed players in January that we didn't have beforehand for example.  You play the season with whatever the squad that you have, that's no different to any other point in time.  Players aren't playing now so they are having a sizeable break, we're not talking about having to play 30 games each, it's probably about 6 weeks worth of games if you play them weekend-midweek-weekend-midweek.  If we can mess about with a season so that we can play a World Cup in a country that shouldn't host it at all then we can surely do the same for a genuinely serious situation?  All of that depends on how things progress in the next few months of course.

• Like 2

The problem as I see it is that contracts run out. Teams (not just us) will have players leave that would have otherwise been able to play. We have 6 or 7 out of contract players that we will lose and not be able to replace unless they introduce another window. 

Even if they aren't  first 11 they are bench warmers and cover for injury. 

It would end up being a mess. Clays could score past us to relegate us.

4 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

The problem as I see it is that contracts run out. Teams (not just us) will have players leave that would have otherwise been able to play. We have 6 or 7 out of contract players that we will lose and not be able to replace unless they introduce another window. 

Even if they aren't  first 11 they are bench warmers and cover for injury. 

It would end up being a mess. Clays could score past us to relegate us.

But that same thing could happen if you sell or sign someone during January is my point.  Squads don't stay the same throughout the season so this would just be a more extraordinary version of that.  We might have lost some players but we'll also have signed some new ones as well.  If we lose a chunk of games completely then this is going to cause serious damage to a lot of clubs, so for me, we play the games at the earliest possible opportunity, whenever that happens to be.  Once this season is completed then we figure out how to design the following season to fit that in.

• Like 2

I think things should be left as they are until its possible to play major sporting events again.  That may be in 3 weeks (unlikely) or 3 months time. In all reality it may not be any time this year, truth is nobody knows how this virus will play out and if it has a sting in its tail come next Winter. Whenever Football does recommence the "Clubs" should complete the outstanding fixtures as a priority and then a decision made to abandon the following season , curtail it to half the amount of games or extending it. 

Whatever is agreed for the new season would at least be clear before it starts and therefore fair with everyone knowing the rules before commencement. To me its the Clubs that have to fulfil the fixtures not Players and if contracts end then so be it or they can perhaps be temporarily extended (with UEFA/FIFA/FA etc. agreeing to a short term rule) with existing clubs before joining any new clubs for the start of the forthcoming season.

36 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't see any issue with finishing the season at the start of the next one tbh if it comes down to it.  Player registrations doesn't seem that important a factor to me really.  Squads have changed during the season - we signed players in January that we didn't have beforehand for example.  You play the season with whatever the squad that you have, that's no different to any other point in time.  Players aren't playing now so they are having a sizeable break, we're not talking about having to play 30 games each, it's probably about 6 weeks worth of games if you play them weekend-midweek-weekend-midweek.  If we can mess about with a season so that we can play a World Cup in a country that shouldn't host it at all then we can surely do the same for a genuinely serious situation?  All of that depends on how things progress in the next few months of course.

I think it's an interesting factor and it could certainly be important for us. When you look at the players we could lose and how very risky it would be for a player to sign for us when it could be 9 games before they're relegated, I don't think we're going to easily replace anyone. Sure, we're not on our own in this boat but I think we're gonna really struggle to improve this squad to play in those 9 games vs. if we were to go into the summer transfer window with a fresh season ahead of us.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think it's an interesting factor and it could certainly be important for us. When you look at the players we could lose and how very risky it would be for a player to sign for us when it could be 9 games before they're relegated, I don't think we're going to easily replace anyone. Sure, we're not on our own in this boat but I think we're gonna really struggle to improve this squad to play in those 9 games vs. if we were to go into the summer transfer window with a fresh season ahead of us.

The same thing applied in January though, didn't it?  I know we had a little run of games but we were still in the same position and still had the same basic problem to deal with.  I think if a player is able to sign a contract that he is happy with from a financial perspective then they'll accept the risk as they would in any other season.  The number of games to be played doesn't seem all that relevant to me - play 46 and get relegated or play 9 and get relegated, what's the difference?  I think I understand where you're coming from as you're saying that some people will view 9 games from the position we are in currently and relegation differently to 46 games when everyone starts on zero points and relegation but really it's the exact same ultimate risk.

I'm not an expert on football contracts but I would have thought that you could sign a contract of any length so current players could sign until the fixtures are completed (and get paid for it) or leave and take their chances elsewhere.  I think a lot of out of contract players would want to get deals arranged relatively quickly especially if there is any uncertainty and a short term deal of say 6 weeks would suit a lot of them just fine.  Whatever happens after that they are out of contract again and can make their decision as they see fit.  Some players might not go for that but I bet a lot of players would.

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

The same thing applied in January though, didn't it?  I know we had a little run of games but we were still in the same position and still had the same basic problem to deal with.  I think if a player is able to sign a contract that he is happy with from a financial perspective then they'll accept the risk as they would in any other season.  The number of games to be played doesn't seem all that relevant to me - play 46 and get relegated or play 9 and get relegated, what's the difference?  I think I understand where you're coming from as you're saying that some people will view 9 games from the position we are in currently and relegation differently to 46 games when everyone starts on zero points and relegation but really it's the exact same ultimate risk.

I'm not an expert on football contracts but I would have thought that you could sign a contract of any length so current players could sign until the fixtures are completed (and get paid for it) or leave and take their chances elsewhere.  I think a lot of out of contract players would want to get deals arranged relatively quickly especially if there is any uncertainty and a short term deal of say 6 weeks would suit a lot of them just fine.  Whatever happens after that they are out of contract again and can make their decision as they see fit.  Some players might not go for that but I bet a lot of players would.

I made a similar point about short-term contracts too, it seems a good fix and at the end of the day, unless they're making the move up a division (or feel like they will by say moving to a Leeds/West Brom) then a few of them probably want to see through to the end of their contract and finish the season they started.

I get what you're saying regarding January but there's still a lot that can happen in January, by the end of January we were 11 points off play-offs and relegation with 29 played so signing then feels like much less of a risk. If you sign with 9 games to go in our position, 2 points off relegation and 15 from the play-offs, the best case scenario is just that you survive. The worst case is you get relegated a few weeks into your contract and have to persist in a division below you. In those cases, so close to the end of a season, if you really don't want to be a League One player you're surely not gonna commit to a side so close to the bottom.

Depends where the player themselves is at and the options they have in front of them too of course. Lot of factors involved. But looking specifically at our January vs. right now, there's surely a significantly lesser chance that we replace those we lose adequately. I don't think the players will view it the same as they would signing in a regular January window which seems like the point you're trying to make.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I made a similar point about short-term contracts too, it seems a good fix and at the end of the day, unless they're making the move up a division (or feel like they will by say moving to a Leeds/West Brom) then a few of them probably want to see through to the end of their contract and finish the season they started.

The problem with short term contracts is if the player gets injured they dont have the security there of a longer deal and might not be able to get another contract afterwards. 

18 minutes ago, boroie said:

The problem with short term contracts is if the player gets injured they dont have the security there of a longer deal and might not be able to get another contract afterwards. 

But the same would apply to a player now whose contract is set to run out? If the seasons can be finished by including July then I don’t think it would be a problem to extend contracts by that month. It would still be possible to agree a future contract with another club. It wouldn’t make sense to open the window and registrations while national leagues are finishing. It’s an extraordinary situation and the transfer window can easily be pushed to run august-October instead of the normal window. 

• Like 1