oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

A lot of teams could be in big trouble, partly due to the COVID mesures taken. It would be incredibly unfair for the league to start docking points from teams in these unprecedented times. I know it would help us as a club, but it’s so harsh, especially as other teams may well go the same way. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

I hadn't seen that coming!

I would expect any points deduction for Sheffield Wednesday to be applied to next season rather than this one (unless they were already safe with the points deduction included) so that there is time for Wednesday to appeal the decision without it impacting on relegation/survival for other teams.  They also won't want to risk Wednesday bringing a legal case against them.  Wouldn't be surprised if Wigan was next season as well - unless they wait lonfer before making the Wednesday decision so that they can then justify treating the clubs differently. 

I think if a club goes into administration it is an automatic 10 points deduction and then other factors can be taken into account to increase the points deduction. The Wigan and Sheff Wed scenarios are different as Wednesday have not entered administration.

3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I think if a club goes into administration it is an automatic 10 points deduction and then other factors can be taken into account to increase the points deduction. The Wigan and Sheff Wed scenarios are different as Wednesday have not entered administration.

I think administration is 12 points.

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

I think administration is 12 points.

Yes BD I think you are right. I actually meant to type 12

Feel sorry for Wigan its a reflection of the championship though every single club is pretty much operating at a loss and just about managing to survive. With clubs having no financial buffer to deal with a rainy day such as covid 

Basically if Wigan finish in the bottom three at the end of the season, the 12 point sanction will apply in league one. If they don't, the sanction will apply to this season and will be taken off after the final game.

• Like 1

I feel bas for Wigan in a way.

And I been critical of Gibson these last few weeks but that is purely his managerial selections. We owe him a huge thanks for his financial support. There is defo an argument its Gibsons bad decisions which have led us to be finncially prudent but lets not get into that. I can't doubt the mans love for the club and he backs that love up with his millions of his own money

38 minutes ago, White Band said:

I hadn't seen that coming!

I would expect any points deduction for Sheffield Wednesday to be applied to next season rather than this one (unless they were already safe with the points deduction included) so that there is time for Wednesday to appeal the decision without it impacting on relegation/survival for other teams.  They also won't want to risk Wednesday bringing a legal case against them.  Wouldn't be surprised if Wigan was next season as well - unless they wait lonfer before making the Wednesday decision so that they can then justify treating the clubs differently. 

If they don't do it, then they will have 3 legal cases from each of the relegated teams. The argument should be that the timing of the points deduction is irrelevant - whether the team stays up is based on sporting merit (i.e. points accumulated) and there should be the same level of effort for the entire season. 

The rule certainly used to be that if you aren't in the relegation zone at the end of the season, it's this season you get deducted, regardless of when it occurs. 

If you are in the relegation zone, it's next season you get deduction.

From the statement the administrators have put out, it sounds quite bleak for Wigan:

"Our immediate objectives are to ensure the club completes all its fixtures this season and to urgently find interested parties to save Wigan Athletic FC."

That said, a 12-point deduction would certainly help us, and AFAIK it's applied immediately rather than the following season.

13 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Might be wrong, but think I read somewhere that if a club enters administration after April, then deduction is next season,,,,so they could still be safe

Technically, we're still playing fixtures which were intended for March. Again, no idea whether it's pertinent or not, but that April deadline surely can't apply in these circumstances?

3 minutes ago, boroie said:

If they don't do it, then they will have 3 legal cases from each of the relegated teams. The argument should be that the timing of the points deduction is irrelevant - whether the team stays up is based on sporting merit (i.e. points accumulated) and there should be the same level of effort for the entire season. 

They set the precident with Leeds years ago, if the points deduction is after relegation it is carried over to the following season as it's seen to be a nil punishment if you are already down, Leeds started on something like -25 pts