• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You're right but I think part of that is clubs who have little or nothing to play for coming up against sides that do.  And we have a few of those opponents still to come so perhaps we will benefit from that in a similar way 🤞

My concern is that by the time we play those teams they will be looking over their shoulders again and will therefore have something to play for...  It just needs another win from teams like Charlton and Huddersfield for QPR and Reading to be in danger again.

Are Brum in a little bit of trouble or they too far away from drop?, I am watching their game and I got to say they've been awful (3 nil down currently) add that into the fact they could only just salvage a draw against Hull. 

2 minutes ago, White Band said:

My concern is that by the time we play those teams they will be looking over their shoulders again and will therefore have something to play for...  It just needs another win from teams like Charlton and Huddersfield for QPR and Reading to be in danger again.

True, but I'm hoping that they might not be able to just suddenly raise themselves.  We have QPR on Saturday and Bristol City a couple of games after that and they might be out of the play off reckoning by then so that would be another team with nothing to play for.

3 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Huddersfield 3-0. Birmingham look they could be dragged into the relegation battle. Didn’t realise they were in so much trouble

Jesus just had a glance at their forum, they've released 9 players and that is the reason for the dip. 

12 minutes ago, thomas said:

Jesus just had a glance at their forum, they've released 9 players and that is the reason for the dip. 

Their team tonight looks like their usual team pretty much.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Their team tonight looks like their usual team pretty much.

Odd wonder if their bench is completely different then? 

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

Concerning that our new manager bounce doesn't mean very much right now since everyone else is picking up points...

It means even more now or we would just be left for dead. At least we might be able to keep up the pace now. 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, ballyclover said:

Wigan surviving relies on those below  not winning as much as Wigan winning several. So i'm confused with all the Wigan just need to win x amount to survive....

Well they play Charlton, Hull & Barnsley still so those are huge point swings in their favour if they win them. They need too as well, because two of their other 3 are against Fulham & Brentford.

They also play QPR, who they probably should beat too.

Just reading up about Wigan on another forum, it's sounds like a right bloody mess 

http://www.footballforums.net/threads/wigan-go-into-admin.276486/

There's some long posts from a Wigan fan on there with a bit more detail, I don't know how to put them behind a spoiler so sorry if the length of this post annoys anyone.

"I don't think they had any idea. I don't think our CEO or directors had any idea.

We were sold from a consortium who one of the attendees of some matches and widely considered a main investor has a £20b fortune, to a poker player who had no money. That is deadly serious too. We haven't defaulted on any payments, we have one of the smallest debts in the league. As recently as November 2018 we were completely debt free.

Sounds like the poker player has randomly just called in administrators last Wednesday with no one knowing anything about it. Seems like the EFL didn't do any fit and proper checks with the country being on lockdown.

Press conference at 1pm said they had no information, nothing on the club website as no one at the club knows a thing.

It does say there are force majeure circumstances such as loss of revenue by an unforeseen event occuring then if an appeal is made then points deductions are unlikely to occur.

We have a young squad with so many sellable assets as well. Robinson linked with a 10m move away, Williams a great young midfielder destined for the top flight, Kipre an excellent young defender and a big reason behind our defensive record and the England U18 captain, being scouted by every top club in Europe, will all go for absolute peanuts. We could have recovered any debt with sales this Summer and still had a number of promising young players left on the book, to sell in future seasons to maintain a self sufficient set up."

"Really is astonishing how this can happen.

Directors, CEO etc all completely unaware and not been consulted. Day to day financial running of the club very good and no serious financial issues, the plan to sell 1 player per Summer to ensure break even was the plan and a sensible one, with Robinson set to go for around 10m this Summer all but agreed.

No immediate concerns with the finances and administration not needed at all.

Has been suggested that funds were transferred to an account so the EFL saw money without doing any thorough checks. Then transferred out after.

Administrators or any director etc unable to get in contact with the owner who has done a vanishing act.

Council have said they will not give planning permission to sell the land on for redevelopment. Bought the club for around 15m and got 50m+ worth of assets.

Surely 1 bloke can't just decide 1 day he's going to put a club with one of the smallest debts in the league and no immediate financial concern in administration without any consultation?

The level of incompetence within the EFL is staggering.

We owe money for players to teams like Barnsley, Portsmouth etc from the summer, if we don't pay that, then that could potentially put them close to administration if things continue to struggle with the COVID situation."

"Sounds like a major criminal investigation is underway. Looking like all sort of dodgy dealings have allegedly occurred involving offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands and other places.

The poker player as apparently cleared by the EFL a year ago, he was a member of IEC who sold it to the poker players personal company. Apparently the money all came from a loan from the selling company, showing he didn't actually have any funds as it was all a loan and should have been picked up.

Now it appears the other guy who joined with the poker player as a minority shareholder, all of a sudden was allowed to become majority owner with 75% on June 24th, with apparently no checks!!! He immediately contacted administrators in what seems like a pre coordinated planned move, with the date 1st July deliberately selected for some reason, have no idea why, some people have referenced some changes in HK from this date. Which is where all of the investors come from, even though the money is coming through several different countries in offshore tax havens.

I get the feeling this is going to develop into a massive story, hopefully there will be a few jail sentences! Fingers crossed as EFL has massively messed up that they will be brought down with them."

"It's hard to take for sure. From being one of the best run football league sides to this in a short space, I mean even just 4 weeks ago, we were making minor losses but nothing to suggest administration was anywhere near being an option.

For the majority of years since joining the Premier League in 2005, we actually made a profit! Debt free as of November 2018!

Many clubs in the past have struggled on for months and regularly failed to pay wages before succumbing to administration.

We have paid all our outstanding bills as of 30th June, the season ends in 3 weeks, no money is due until the season ends. The administrators themselves have said they were surprised how well run we were with vastly experienced people in director roles running the club very well day to day.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever for the club to be in administration. As has been shown with other clubs we could have struggled on for a few months with no money after with no punishment at first.

However as soon as the season ends, we sell Robinson and break even for the season, sell another player and we make a healthy profit and we can last out next season without external investment.

There was a specific reason why the owners deliberately placed in administration specifically on July 1st, completely behind the backs of all the directors and CEO who had no idea and would have 100% voted against entering administration.

Quite concerning for other clubs that one man can just say, nah can't be bothered, do a runner and put a club in administration without consulting anyone, terrifying. Also no financial background checks being carried out by the EFL, just a basic check and it shows up as the money in the bank being a loan and oh that's an issue, but nah lets not check that! This could literally happen to any club overnight and they will be powerless to stop it."

Edited by Hendrie_7

Well that's the risk of having single owners. They can do what they want. Reading that I have plenty of sympathy for the fans but they are paying the price of selling to shabby owners who is only in it for the money and will do what they see fit. It doesn't sound like force majeure because of Covid-19 but rather that the are owned by people who genuinely don't care and probably have a plan that will in some way make them a lot of money and leave Wigan in the mire. Tough on the fans as they don't get a say in who owns the club. Looks like the EFL have failed with their fit and proper test, but it's the owner that has chosen to put the club under administration, and if the finances are OK I can't see how they will be succesful with their appeal due to the virus. The owner can do what he wants and he has placed them in administration hence I can't see how they will escape the 12 points deduction.

Extraordinary decision to condemn them to a 12-point penalty without good reason. I assumed they were in a Bolton/Bury-style situation and administration was a last desperate roll of the dice, but I can't see from what @Hendrie_7 has posted how the benefits of this move will outweigh the penalties.

Sadly, there's absolutely no chance of jail terms. If Steve Dale is still a free man, some dodgy Oriental investor hiding their funds in the Cayman Islands isn't going to be held accountable.