oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Will they be challenging the deduction? I thought the rumours were that their owner was banking on them being relegated?

It sounds about as certain as a deduction can get from what I've read.

I'm sure one of their local reporters said the club would challenge the deduction.

From what I've seen, it's clear as day they'll be deducted points from the EFL. But it raises yet more questions as to why the EFL signed off on the initial takeover and then the 2nd one.

You could argue that the EFL's failure to do the correct checks have lead to the situation Wigan are in. Which is then pretty hypocritical of them to then punish Wigan with a points deduction due to their (EFL's) own failings. (Just my opinion).

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I'm sure one of their local reporters said the club would challenge the deduction.

From what I've seen, it's clear as day they'll be deducted points from the EFL. But it raises yet more questions as to why the EFL signed off on the initial takeover and then the 2nd one.

You could argue that the EFL's failure to do the correct checks have lead to the situation Wigan are in. Which is then pretty hypocritical of them to then punish Wigan with a points deduction due to their (EFL's) own failings. (Just my opinion).

Exactly when have the Premier League or the EFL worried about being hypocritical!

42 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Will they be challenging the deduction? I thought the rumours were that their owner was banking on them being relegated?

It sounds about as certain as a deduction can get from what I've read.

That owner doesn't own them any more.  The administrators run the club and are looking for a buyer for the business.  If it's determined that it's in the best interests of the business to contest the points deduction (if/when it happens) then that's exactly what they'll do.  If the club has already been purchased by that point then the new owners will be able to appeal it as well.  If it turns out that the EFL's own processes have failed then I dare say that they might have a decent case, albeit it's not something I know much about.  I'd be amazed if this didn't lead to a criminal investigation across a few countries.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

That owner doesn't own them any more.  The administrators run the club and are looking for a buyer for the business.  If it's determined that it's in the best interests of the business to contest the points deduction (if/when it happens) then that's exactly what they'll do.  If the club has already been purchased by that point then the new owners will be able to appeal it as well.  If it turns out that the EFL's own processes have failed then I dare say that they might have a decent case, albeit it's not something I know much about.  I'd be amazed if this didn't lead to a criminal investigation across a few countries.

A lot of ifs there!!!

Apologies for running the risk of sounding thick here but I am confused as to why people on one hand are saying Wigans predicament is due to EFL failings (which I get btw given EFL approved the takeover a month ago) but then at the time saying it seems certain Wigan will be deducted points? If there is a acceptance this is not Wigans fault then why is it certain they will be deducted points?

12 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

A lot of ifs there!!!

Yeah I know there are, but that's how it is.  The administrators will take legal advice if they are still in control of the club when the points are deducted and will act upon it.  Ideally (for them) they'd do nothing at all because administrators don't want the hassle, they just want to get paid and offload the business.  If things look dodgy however then they might not have a choice otherwise they wouldn't be acting in the best interests of the business.  The prospective new owners will obviously have to decide if they would have a reasonable expectation of winning an appeal against a points deduction and if it's worth the expense.  If any criminal activity is discovered then that obviously could impact the case. 

Based on what I've read, the EFL might have some difficulty in establishing that their fit and proper person test has been applied properly in this case or is even fit for purpose at all.  The EFL, of course, will do everything in their power to not be blamed for anything or be held accountable for anything because unfortunately that's their mentality - all of the power but none of the responsibility.  And another set of fans gets shafted.

1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

Apologies for running the risk of sounding thick here but I am confused as to why people on one hand are saying Wigans predicament is due to EFL failings (which I get btw given EFL approved the takeover a month ago) but then at the time saying it seems certain Wigan will be deducted points? If there is a acceptance this is not Wigans fault then why is it certain they will be deducted points?

The second paragraph of my post above essentially.  The EFL will stick to their guns if they are able to and impose the penalty because those are their rules.  I would be amazed if they accepted any culpability for what's happened.  If it turns out that this is all gambling related and there is proof of it, then that would be incredibly serious for the EFL, as it would call into question the integrity of the competition.  I'm surprised that Rick Parry was openly discussing rumours like that to be honest.  I suspect a lot of people recognise that this is dodgy but I reckon that the EFL are going to stick to their rules unless they are forced not to.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah I know there are, but that's how it is.  The administrators will take legal advice if they are still in control of the club when the points are deducted and will act upon it.  Ideally (for them) they'd do nothing at all because administrators don't want the hassle, they just want to get paid and offload the business.  If things look dodgy however then they might not have a choice otherwise they wouldn't be acting in the best interests of the business.  The prospective new owners will obviously have to decide if they would have a reasonable expectation of winning an appeal against a points deduction and if it's worth the expense.  If any criminal activity is discovered then that obviously could impact the case. 

Based on what I've read, the EFL might have some difficulty in establishing that their fit and proper person test has been applied properly in this case or is even fit for purpose at all.  The EFL, of course, will do everything in their power to not be blamed for anything or be held accountable for anything because unfortunately that's their mentality - all of the power but none of the responsibility.  And another set of fans gets shafted.

And all that needs to be sorted before the season finishes as if a clu gets relegated because the 12 points havent been deducted, then there will be legal proceedings from that angle.

You can be sure that the EFL fit and proper test has a paragraph of some sort along the lines of “if something comes to light after the event that the EFL are not responsible blah blah blah”. Once the Wigan owner signed it, that will be that and the EFL will deem themselves to be in the clear. I don’t think that they will escape the 12 point deduction.

40 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Lee johnsons been sacked with Bristol city sitting in the top half of the championship. Bit of a surprise that one

Is it?

He's failed to keep them in the play-offs repeatedly for 4 seasons in a row, after spending most of the season in it.

He's done what he can, there's no point persisting.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

Is it?

He's failed to keep them in the play-offs repeatedly for 4 seasons in a row, after spending most of the season in it.

He's been well backed financially aswell. 

2 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Lee johnsons been sacked with Bristol city sitting in the top half of the championship. Bit of a surprise that one

I am not surprised. As poster above said. He has them in play offs all season and then each season there is a collapse. Plus he been backed so least they should expect is one go at play offs.

Rather they had sacked him after playing us mind. We will now need to prepare for somewhat of the unexpected.