• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Feel sorry for the fans, but that's the correct decision.

I'd go so far as to say the appeal they've made is entirely frivolous. It's dreadful what the club is going through right now and totally unfair from a sporting stand-point... but they've surely picked the wrong way to fight this!

• Like 2

Now up on the BBC - so I guess its officially official now...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53649840

Horrible for the club and the fans, but examples have to be made when owners fail to run their clubs properly...to serve as a warning to others, if nothing else.

They were always clutching at straws, trying to use the coronavirus pandemic as an excuse. Being forced into administration is generally the result of long-term mismanagement and given most other clubs weathered the storm, their appeal was always likely to be rejected.

24 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Now up on the BBC - so I guess its officially official now...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53649840

Horrible for the club and the fans, but examples have to be made when owners fail to run their clubs properly...to serve as a warning to others, if nothing else.

They were always clutching at straws, trying to use the coronavirus pandemic as an excuse. Being forced into administration is generally the result of long-term mismanagement and given most other clubs weathered the storm, their appeal was always likely to be rejected.

Examples have to be made of what?  Those owners aren't the owners any more.  The punishment means absolutely nothing to them.  It's like you being fined for me speeding.

Long term mismanagement had nothing to do with this particular case.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'd go so far as to say the appeal they've made is entirely frivolous. It's dreadful what the club is going through right now and totally unfair from a sporting stand-point... but they've surely picked the wrong way to fight this!

What way should they have fought it?

They should have fought it as being deliberately used as a vehicle for corruption as it is "rumoured" that a huge bet was made that Wigan would be relegated and if that was the case then the EFL were grossly incompetent and complicit in the demise of the Club. The Covid-19 argument was always doomed to fail as the other 90 Clubs faced exactly the same challenge and was never the reason why the club entered administration.

5 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

They should have fought it as being deliberately used as a vehicle for corruption as it is "rumoured" that a huge bet was made that Wigan would be relegated and if that was the case then the EFL were grossly incompetent and complicit in the demise of the Club. The Covid-19 argument was always doomed to fail as the other 90 Clubs faced exactly the same challenge and was never the reason why the club entered administration.

They couldn't fight it that way.  You can't fight a case like this with a rumour.  They had to take a shot on what was most likely to give them a chance and that was the effects of the virus.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

They couldn't fight it that way.  You can't fight a case like this with a rumour.  They had to take a shot on what was most likely to give them a chance and that was the effects of the virus.

I used the word "rumoured" for legal reasons for the sake of this site.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I used the word "rumoured" for legal reasons for the sake of this site.

The problem is that they are only rumoured.  Unless the administrators actually had proof then they couldn't use it as the reason for the appeal.  I agree that the appeal was doomed to fail, I can remember several people talking about it a couple of weeks back, I just don't believe they would have had much of an alternative.

I hope Wigan don't let this go as that is exactly what the EFL would want, the entire thing stinks to high hell and back. Along with the Charlton/Wednesday/Derby/Birmingham farce the EFL need to be hauled over the coals. As an organisation they are totally unfit for purpose but Wigan were unlikely to win an appeal based upon how the judge and jury are poor at their job.

https://loftforwords.fansnetwork.co.uk/news/52581/in-form-wigan-left-high-and-dry-by-owners-and-efl--interview