• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Don't think I recognise it unless it's this by Hall and Oates:

Or this one, which had a wacko involved but not someone wacky

It’s beat me and now I won’t sleep  thinking about it. A one or two hit wonder pair In late 80 or 90s on top of the pops with one on a synthesizer something about spies or being watched. I can pick up on the synthesizer tune but that’s it. Oh well I’ll wake the wife when I remember.. 

2 hours ago, sanddancer said:

I don’t think the issue is just about people inside the stadium although some of the larger clubs have huge crowds but more about how they travel to and from. Imagine fans traveling across the country as opposed to pubs which are local to the area ie lock down flair ups in local areas lock down. Let’s be honest, how many pubs are full to the brim especially during the week or the month that matter. Now come payday that may increase numbers but it’s still localized. 
Out of all the government’s worldwide at least ours is trying to help out. Mmm unfortunately for me as a new business start up I don’t qualify for anything, not a bean. 

The crowds for games would all be home crowds which should (theoretically) be all local, shouldn't have any travelling across the country...

16 minutes ago, Brunners said:

The crowds for games would all be home crowds which should (theoretically) be all local, shouldn't have any travelling across the country...

Good point and I don’t like watching games with no atmosphere but then again there would be arguments about why not music events, rugby etc.. 

The UK is not alone in its response to try and curb the spread, although the media would have us think otherwise with its headlines, could, what if, have they, rumored, heard, experts, liberty’s which like other critics never offer solutions. 

Unfortunately our lives have changed and I think they will remain that way for a long time and that’s if ever we do get back to what we thought was normal. It will maybe change when a vaccine is discovered or we allow it to take a controlled course of which the government as other countries are doing by not overwhelming the hospitals and funeral parlors. 

8 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Good news...anyone with BT sport can cheer on Slavia Prague on Wednesday against the barbarian hordes 

You like when the underdog wins, so ofc you cheer for FCM 😉

I live 30 miles from the stadium and normally I would go to a game like this .. Damn you Covid-19 
Hopefully FCM qualifies and the spring will give me the opportunity to go to a CHampions League game!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Don't think I recognise it unless it's this by Hall and Oates:

Or this one, which had a wacko involved but not someone wacky

I was thinking of the pair called SPARKS... confused I know....  

22 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Good point and I don’t like watching games with no atmosphere but then again there would be arguments about why not music events, rugby etc.. 

The UK is not alone in its response to try and curb the spread, although the media would have us think otherwise with its headlines, could, what if, have they, rumored, heard, experts, liberty’s which like other critics never offer solutions. 

Unfortunately our lives have changed and I think they will remain that way for a long time and that’s if ever we do get back to what we thought was normal. It will maybe change when a vaccine is discovered or we allow it to take a controlled course of which the government as other countries are doing by not overwhelming the hospitals and funeral parlors. 

Why can you play golf but not do Parkrun? Why can't I visit my friends at their homes, but I can meet them in a pub and expectorate over thirty strangers? None of this makes sense any more. Today alone, both Boris and Nicola Sturgeon have openly admitted they don't know the rules they've imposed. Sturgeon actually said she couldn't understand why mum-and-baby clubs are banned in Scotland, and she's ultimately responsible for banning them!

Pubs are seen as cornerstones of British society, which appears to have earned them privileged status. I would argue the same applies to football clubs - the heart of many local communities, the main reason many people visit certain towns, and inextricably intertwined with local identity and pride. To let football clubs fail en masse would be one of the greatest derelictions of duty of this entire miserable stupid illogical s**tty omnishambles of a year. Can you imagine Middlesbrough as a town with no football club, and no Steve Gibson-style rescue? Would you want to live in Bury right now? (It's really not that bad as a town, and it has an awesome market).

With all due respect to the egg-chasers, their clubs are rarely the centrepiece of a town's identity like football clubs (possibly excepting Wigan and Hull). Football is the national game, and widespread club liquidation would be an unnecessary catastrophe.

Personally, I'd make Premier League clubs put their hands in their pockets and create a bailout fund to compensate EFL and National League clubs for loss of matchday revenue. There are grotesque sums of money sloshing around in the PL, and if it means a club can only spend £30 million on Julio Geordio instead of £35 million, I'm cool with that. If we were in the PL, it might have meant we couldn't have signed Barragan, or paid Brad Guzan's wages. A small price to pay for keeping a Bradford City or Notts County in existence, no?

28 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Pubs are seen as cornerstones of British society, which appears to have earned them privileged status. I would argue the same applies to football clubs - the heart of many local communities, the main reason many people visit certain towns, and inextricably intertwined with local identity and pride. To let football clubs fail en masse would be one of the greatest derelictions of duty of this entire miserable stupid illogical s**tty omnishambles of a year. Can you imagine Middlesbrough as a town with no football club, and no Steve Gibson-style rescue? Would you want to live in Bury right now? (It's really not that bad as a town, and it has an awesome market).

With all due respect to the egg-chasers, their clubs are rarely the centrepiece of a town's identity like football clubs (possibly excepting Wigan and Hull). Football is the national game, and widespread club liquidation would be an unnecessary catastrophe.

Personally, I'd make Premier League clubs put their hands in their pockets and create a bailout fund to compensate EFL and National League clubs for loss of matchday revenue. There are grotesque sums of money sloshing around in the PL, and if it means a club can only spend £30 million on Julio Geordio instead of £35 million, I'm cool with that. If we were in the PL, it might have meant we couldn't have signed Barragan, or paid Brad Guzan's wages. A small price to pay for keeping a Bradford City or Notts County in existence, no?

You can add Northampton to that list too. Admittedly professional rugby clubs are not as numerous as football clubs, but they are still multi-million pounds businesses. Losing them, would kill the game off in the UK.

Grassroots rugby is struggling at the moment, and losing professional clubs completely would be a huge blow. Regardless of whether you like rugby or not losing an entire sport would be a catastrophe for sports in general in the UK. 

If the Government are to bail out football they would need to do the same for other sports.

I think personally like you've said we need a ring-fenced fund that is paid into by all clubs in the professional football ladder, how it is finance is another matter. Like I said in my post earlier in the thread potentially taxing international transfers may be one method.

• Like 1