oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

14 hours ago, Brunners said:

It is a red card; regardless of how hard he hit it constitutes violent conduct. The problem isn't with that, it's that Lamela didn't also get a red. It's madness that VAR watched that and went..Hmm, yep Lamela nothing wrong there. How you can give a red for one and not the other is madness.

From the same game though; watch this defensive masterclass from Harry "80m" Maguire. Maybe @"KM" was right after all

https://streamja.com/4dG17

Premier League Laugh GIF by MolaTV

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Have to say that my respect for Klopp has gone up a bit after reading the quote from last night...can't remember last time a manager said "There is nobody to blame but me and us".....    

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Uwe said:

I agree. Much like the word amazing. Seems that many people tend to express feelings on the extremes these days so I don’t put much emphasis on it myself

You're spot on. Genius is another one that's used.

12 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Klöpp isn’t well either, apparently he’s got a bad side. 

Loved the text message they flashed up on MOTD...someone asking who you're supposed to call when your neighbours let more than 6 in.

7 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Have to say that my respect for Klopp has gone up a bit after reading the quote from last night...can't remember last time a manager said "There is nobody to blame but me and us".....    

Happens all the time?

Solskjaer said the same thing literally hours before.

Even Woodgate took responsibility for plenty of our defeats last season.

16 hours ago, Brunners said:

It is a red card; regardless of how hard he hit it constitutes violent conduct. The problem isn't with that, it's that Lamela didn't also get a red. It's madness that VAR watched that and went..Hmm, yep Lamela nothing wrong there. How you can give a red for one and not the other is madness.

From the same game though; watch this defensive masterclass from Harry "80m" Maguire. Maybe @"KM" was right after all

https://streamja.com/4dG17

Players like Lamela are what's wrong with modern football.

Conning the ref like that and getting an opponent sent off over nothing...he is an utter ***. Even more so for doing pretty much the same thing to Martial...who at least had the dignity NOT to act like he'd been punched by Tyson Fury.

I can't believe none of the officials saw the way he bent over, clutching his jaw for a bit...THEN decided to have a lie down on the grass. Absolutely pathetic.

Totally despise people like that.

5 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Conning the ref like that and getting an opponent sent off over nothing...he is an utter ***. Even more so for doing pretty much the same thing to Martial...who at least had the dignity NOT to act like he'd been punched by Tyson Fury.

I can't believe none of the officials saw the way he bent over, clutching his jaw for a bit...THEN decided to have a lie down on the grass. Absolutely pathetic.

Would you class Maradona as a modern footballer? Because I guarantee he'd have done the same. The culture in Latin American countries is different around behaviour on the pitch, if they can gain their team an advantage by going down like Lamela did yesterday then they'll do it. Just look at Suarez in the 2010 world cup essentially being a goalkeeper because he knew that giving his keeper chance to save a penalty was better than letting in a definite goal.

23 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Happens all the time?

Solskjaer said the same thing literally hours before.

Even Woodgate took responsibility for plenty of our defeats last season.

I obviously don't see every quote.....Solskjaer said something similar by saying "We let everybody down" but was just trying to say it was a change to see a manager use the word "me"

13 minutes ago, Will said:

Would you class Maradona as a modern footballer? Because I guarantee he'd have done the same. The culture in Latin American countries is different around behaviour on the pitch, if they can gain their team an advantage by going down like Lamela did yesterday then they'll do it. Just look at Suarez in the 2010 world cup essentially being a goalkeeper because he knew that giving his keeper chance to save a penalty was better than letting in a definite goal.

I do understand what you’re saying but they’re different types of shithousery imo. And coming the Ref to send off a player for 3 games just isn’t cricket 

17 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

I obviously don't see every quote.....Solskjaer said something similar by saying "We let everybody down" but was just trying to say it was a change to see a manager use the word "me"

"It is embarrassing, I hold my hands up, it is my fault. It is not Manchester United," Solskjaer told Sky Sports."

I just don't think it's a rare thing for a manager to take personal responsibility for a defeat, it's very common. So it's nothing special from Klopp to do so.

OK then....It is nice to see any top manager accepting responsibility   whoever they may be ..rather than blaming the referee or saying the table is lying or we wuz robbed and if it happens all the time...good, it should

1 hour ago, Will said:

Well I've never taken much interest in South American football, so I've no idea how long its been going on there.

Maradona was probably the first time I saw someone cheating like that...and yes I'd class him as a scumbag too.

I don't care what anyone says, gaining an unfair advantage by cheating is utterly unacceptable to me. Just like doping in cycling / athletics.

I don't care how you try and justify it. If you can't win by fair means then you don't deserve to. This "win at all costs" attitude (i.e. cheating) is simply abhorrent.

In fact its doubly shitty in football when a player deliberately fouls another to make them react, so the other player gets sent off, while they stay on the pitch. Its one of the things that really kills my enjoyment of the sport.

1 hour ago, Will said:

There's a difference between taking one for the team, which is what Suarez did, and feigning injury to get players sent off.

Suarez was rightly sent off and he knew he would be, but handball is an offence which comes with punishment, I don't see it as outright cheating anymore than a bad tackle is.

Lamela has cheated to get another player sent off and somehow avoiding being sent off himself as he should have been.

I don't agree that it's because Lamela is Argentine either, just one English example is Patrick Bamford going down holding his face without being touched to get a player sent off.

Edited by TeaCider24
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

I agree that it was pathetic from Lamela. 

I don't disagree with the red though; however soft it is technically still violent conduct.

What I don't understand is how Lamela got away without a sending off too. VAR has to be used there to say "alright, Martial did put his hands to his face, but it started with Lamela elbowing him in the chin"

It's the inconsistency for me.

But yes, to your main point, it was pretty disgusting from Lamela. Unfortunately as Will said, a lot of Latin American countries act like that, some cultures just build that into their identity. Not Latin america, and not 100% sure if it's still the case, but I'm sure for a long time in Italy it wasn't considered cheating to dive if you were good at it.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I agree that it was pathetic from Lamela. 

I don't disagree with the red though; however soft it is technically still violent conduct.

What I don't understand is how Lamela got away without a sending off too. VAR has to be used there to say "alright, Martial did put his hands to his face, but it started with Lamela elbowing him in the chin"

It's the inconsistency for me.

But yes, to your main point, it was pretty disgusting from Lamela. Unfortunately as Will said, a lot of Latin American countries act like that, some cultures just build that into their identity. Not Latin america, and not 100% sure if it's still the case, but I'm sure for a long time in Italy it wasn't considered cheating to dive if you were good at it.

Agree.

I know Martial's red card was just following the letter of the law (rather than the spirit), but as you say its the fact the instigator got off scot free.

IMO its a real problem that the rules just about prohibit any kind of physical contact (apart from shirt pulling, it seems) because so many players abuse them for just this kind of reason.

A bit of elbowing and stuff should be allowed...that way the big softies are less likely to try it on, knowing they will get it back with interest.

Note: I do mean a BIT...the kind of shenanigans we see in most games Any psychos that go in and cut someone's head open, or knock an opponent over still should get carded, obviously. 

But we're now in the ridiculous situation where people are getting sent off for kiddie slaps. This needs to stop. They are grown men...supposedly. I would be ashamed and embarrassed to do a lot of the stuff they do.

They do it because they know they can get away with it...but surely dropping to the ground and rolling around when someone brushes your face ought to count as simulation too?