oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

7 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Agree.

I know Martial's red card was just following the letter of the law (rather than the spirit), but as you say its the fact the instigator got off scot free.

IMO its a real problem that the rules just about prohibit any kind of physical contact (apart from shirt pulling, it seems) because so many players abuse them for just this kind of reason.

A bit of elbowing and stuff should be allowed...that way the big softies are less likely to try it on, knowing they will get it back with interest.

Note: I do mean a BIT...the kind of shenanigans we see in most games Any psychos that go in and cut someone's head open, or knock an opponent over still should get carded, obviously. 

But we're now in the ridiculous situation where people are getting sent off for kiddie slaps. This needs to stop. They are grown men...supposedly. I would be ashamed and embarrassed to do a lot of the stuff they do.

They do it because they know they can get away with it...but surely dropping to the ground and rolling around when someone brushes your face ought to count as simulation too?

It should; the problem is for the longest time it felt like if you DIDN'T flop and roll around you wouldn't get a decision. I know that's not necessarily how it actually was, but (and I know the scenario is slightly different) how many times did you see a foul not given because a player stayed on his feet? 

I'm not sure the players have any faith in refs to get stuff right. Going down, rolling around, these seem to be the only way the players feel they can really bring the refs attention to things.

Not that it excuses what Lamela did or anything like that, that was a scumbag move; that was legitimately just looking for the red card. 

Also you're right on a previous point - Bamford did it (at least once) also and it was disgusting then too.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

@Duckand Remember earlier in the summer we were talking about Bødo and Jens Petter Hauge? 

I happened to notice that Hauge has moved to AC Milan for about £5 Million a few weeks ago. Good move for him that, hope he gets a chance at Milan.

Also saw that Bødo are about to win the Tippeligaen/Eliteserien, which preseason is a bit of a surprise. They weren't a million miles off last year, but to win the league in the manner they are about to this year in my opinion is a real shock.

1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@Duckand Remember earlier in the summer we were talking about Bødo and Jens Petter Hauge? 

I happened to notice that Hauge has moved to AC Milan for about £5 Million a few weeks ago. Good move for him that, hope he gets a chance at Milan.

Also saw that Bødo are about to win the Tippeligaen/Eliteserien, which preseason is a bit of a surprise. They weren't a million miles off last year, but to win the league in the manner they are about to this year in my opinion is a real shock.

So are they just that much better, or what's going on?

18-2-0 in 20 games, only conceded 21 in that time and scored a whopping 69 (nice) goals. That is unbelievable dominance!

4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

18-2-0 in 20 games, only conceded 21 in that time and scored a whopping 69 (nice) goals. That is unbelievable dominance!

From the games I have seen of them this year * in my opinion it's a mix of a few things, they have a very unique style of play (in terms of how they invite teams to press them), they have gotten the maximum out of the players they have at their disposal, every player has a specific role within the team (that they have learnt to the letter) and they have near enough managed to field the same starting team each league game. 

I did see an article a few days ago that did an incredible job at breaking down their tactics and formation, I'll try and find it, the article is much more eloquent than I can be!

*If you can find them, Bodo vs Odds (Away) and Bodo vs Brann (Home) are good games in highlighting their attacking play.

Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

I did see an article a few days ago that did an incredible job at breaking down their tactics and formation, I'll try and find it, the article is much more eloquent than I can be!

Managed to find the link to the article I mentioned...

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/competitions/eliteserien/eliteserien-2020-fk-bodo-glimt-the-scandinavian-atalanta-team-analysis-tactics

3 hours ago, Brunners said:

Yes Dan, his transfer came as a bit of a surprise to most Norwegians. Although I don't remember where, I do believe he has been rated as someone with incredible potential by some european football experts. That caused a few raised eyebrows back in Norway. I reckon it has to be some sort of hype because of other talented Norwegian and Swedish talent currently playing in Norway. I remember thinking he would not succeed in Boro, and I still stand by that. Its going to be interesting seeing if he gets regular gametime at Milan in the future. He signed a five year contract, and made his debut on a 20 minute cameo yesterday. I don't think he made much of an impact. 

The Atalanta link is an odd one, I must say. Bodø Glimt reminds me of a Rosenborg of old, quick on the counter, and capable of playing a good passing ball, and like atalanta: Good at breaking the press, and harassing the opposition. The assessment got most of the players strengths right, no doubt, but apart from that, I don't get it. Most Norwegians agree Bodø/Glimt play a game much greater than the sum of their parts. Kjetil Knutsen has had some development the latest years, both for himself and the club. They have sold several key players already, and will continue to do so in the future. The coach will probably join a bigger club next season, as topping this one is next to impossible. both the development and recruiting of players has been highly impressive over quite some time. In a way, the last two seasons has similarities to what Leicester did in the Premier league. Everything just clicked, and at the same time the other big teams in Norway are underachieving, and has been for some time. Well, maybe not Molde, which is OGS old club. It has got to be said though; the level and recourses of the Norwegian Tippeliga is pretty poor. The best teams are probably somewhere between lower championship and league one. Another important aspect is that most teams play on an artificial surface, which is why most foreign scouts deducts 15-20% of the assessed quality of a player in Tippeligaen. 

Jens Petter Hauge has been added to the Norwegian national time for the first time now. Unfortunately, Lagerback is a proper 442-man, and I can't really see him playing in another system then 433 for now. 

• Like 1

@Duckand I remember you saying earlier in the summer that a Belgian club had an interest in him. Surprised myself that a club the size of Milan have come in for him. If rumours are to be believed Man United and the RedBull teams (Leipzig and Salzburg) had been watching him.

Yeah I'm not 100% sure why the author of that article has linked them to Atalanta. I don't think he's making a direct comparison in terms of playing style, but maybe in terms of stature? Atalanta are not a historically "top team" in Italy, but are holding their own, similar to Bodo not being a historically a "top team" in Norway? The Leicester similarity you've mentioned sounds a better example, unexpected title winners, bigger teams underperforming etc.

I remember watching a lot of Rosenborg in the 2014 and 2015 season under Ingebritsen (is that how it's spelt?) and they looked strong under him especially when they won the league in 2015. As I said before I enjoyed watching Soderlund as he seemed to score in every game I watched. Since he (Ingebritsen) left Rosenborg, they seem to have really struggled. I see that he's at Brann now, but they haven't exactly been great this season either. On the other flip of the coin, I'm glad to see Valerenga doing a lot better, think playing at the national stadium really hampered them financially if I recall correctly. (Their new stadium looks really good).

1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@Duckand I remember you saying earlier in the summer that a Belgian club had an interest in him. Surprised myself that a club the size of Milan have come in for him. If rumours are to be believed Man United and the RedBull teams (Leipzig and Salzburg) had been watching him.

Yeah I'm not 100% sure why the author of that article has linked them to Atalanta. I don't think he's making a direct comparison in terms of playing style, but maybe in terms of stature? Atalanta are not a historically "top team" in Italy, but are holding their own, similar to Bodo not being a historically a "top team" in Norway? The Leicester similarity you've mentioned sounds a better example, unexpected title winners, bigger teams underperforming etc.

I remember watching a lot of Rosenborg in the 2014 and 2015 season under Ingebritsen (is that how it's spelt?) and they looked strong under him especially when they won the league in 2015. As I said before I enjoyed watching Soderlund as he seemed to score in every game I watched. Since he (Ingebritsen) left Rosenborg, they seem to have really struggled. I see that he's at Brann now, but they haven't exactly been great this season either. On the other flip of the coin, I'm glad to see Valerenga doing a lot better, think playing at the national stadium really hampered them financially if I recall correctly. (Their new stadium looks really good).

Milan signed him on the back of a fantastic performance in the Europa league against them, im fairly sure he wasn't even on the radar until then.

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Milan signed him on the back of a fantastic performance in the Europa league against them, im fairly sure he wasn't even on the radar until then.

I did see that Bodo almost got the better of Milan in the EL qualifying rounds, was it 2-3 to Milan or something in the end?

24 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I did see that Bodo almost got the better of Milan in the EL qualifying rounds, was it 2-3 to Milan or something in the end?

Yeah, and hauge scored one, made one and and was the star man, reactive signing if I ever seen one! Hopefully it works out though. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

He was. They followed him since June, the Norwegian press has reported several times. As with RB and Manchester United. At least they have been scouting him. As for the Belgia club, a fee was agreed, and personal terms as well, but he rejected in order to win the league with Bodø/Glimt. And maybe he thought he could get a better transfer, who knows. He wasn't even a regular last season, so it has all gone up, up up for him this season. 

how come you follow norwegian football so closely, Dan? Have you got relatives living there? Yes, The Kåre Ingebrigtsen had a liking to the good old Rosenborg of old. In the 90s, when they did well in the Champions league, and bought up all the biggest Norwegian talents, and sold them later to foreign leagues for big money. Its crazy to think we once had two teams at the same time in the Champions league, with Molde and Rosenborg. Its a long time since, and Norwegian football has similarities to the development of english football. After the TV-money increased drastically in the early 2000, the clubs were being run a lot more short-sighted. My club, Bryne (Where it all started for Erling Braut Haaland btw) is a perfect example. Still paying for old fun, and now playing in the norwegian second division. Local talented are getting a chance, like Erling. I remember watching him play for Bryne at the age og 15, but like with most of our talented youngsters, they are being swooped up by bigger clubs in Norway. Some again are sold to foreign leagues for profit. 

Yes, Vålerenga is doing better now, but this season has a lot of similarities to last season, so they can still end up like before. Personally, Im really curious to see how Rosenborg will do in the future, with Åge Hareide back as a manager, and signing som quality established players. Markus Henriksen, Per Ciljan Skjelbred. Local players, with a history in the club, and yet with quality to offer. To bad they didn't make the European league, Like Molde did. Molde almost qualified for Champions league too. Thats some chance that has gone begging. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Duckand said:

how come you follow norwegian football so closely, Dan? Have you got relatives living there?

It's a bit of a mix of two things really. One of my really close friends was from Norway (He and his family moved back a few years ago), and he was from Voss (Near Bergen), but he's living in Oslo now. So I had an interest mainly from that, then when I got into Football manager I always somehow ended up managing in Norway so that gave me more of an interest. Highlights being taking Nardo FK to the top league and doing well in Europe with Brann.

During the 2014 & 2015 seasons it was really easy to watch games for me mainly due to my work schedule and there used to be a really good YouTube channel that had the whole games uploaded after the matches had been played. Annoyingly I think YouTube started to really clamp down on channels like that and it got deleted. I fell out of it a little bit past few years, but made a real conscious effort this year to get into the 2020 season, which I think I managed to pick a good year for it!

I think Rosenborg will be strong next season, because as you say that have re-signed some really experienced former players Skjelbred signing on a free from Hertha will be a very good signing! Birger Meling (Ex-Boro youth) being sold to Nimes in Ligue 1 is a bit of a surprise.

Edited by DanFromDownSouth