oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

6 hours ago, Uwe said:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!! 🤔

Very apt given the number of engines that did just that.

Overall the race was pretty much a snore fest, after the briefly exciting start. Only noteworthy due to Lewis matching Schuey's race win tally. Really nice gesture by Mick, presenting him with one of his dad's helmets.

Also the weekend Bottas' hopes of challenging for the title disappeared.

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

15 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

They are decent especially when you consider their population is only about 11,5 million, but I don’t think that’s taken into consideration. There is no way that are better than Brazil, Germany or Denmark in my opinion. 

How are you comparing them against Brazil and Germany?
Based on the previous world cup they are better than both, if you look at finishing positions. But also Belgium beat Brazil in the 2018 world cup to reach the Semi-Final. Germany didn't make it out of the groups that year either.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

How are you comparing them against Brazil and Germany?
Based on the previous world cup they are better than both, if you look at finishing positions. But also Belgium beat Brazil in the 2018 world cup to reach the Semi-Final. Germany didn't make it out of the groups that year either.

Belgium are were seeded 5th for the 2020 Euros, though. I just don’t see the logic. 

1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Belgium are were seeded 5th for the 2020 Euros, though. I just don’t see the logic. 

Sorry I didn't mean to come across blunt in the first post, I've just re-read it back and it sounds like I'm saying "HOW are you comparing them against Brazil and Germany?". I meant in the first post what gauge/metric are you using to compare them against one another.

In Belgium's case they are actually the top seed for Euro 2020 (2021). If I recall correctly Ukraine are in the top 6 too, but that seeding system uses the results from all the nations respective results in the Euro qualifiers to create the seed. So Belgium had the best set of result in qualifying than any other nation, obviously it is then subjective to how "easy" or "hard" each qualifying group was but that's for another debate. 

In terms of FIFA's world rankings Belgium again top the list. There are of course criticisms of that ranking system, but I would argue it is a fairly good model. Again if I recall correctly FIFA are now using a "Weighted" calculation, so the "Harder" the opponent the more points you gain. So all in all playing tougher opponents and winning against them regularly is going to see you jump up the table.

And again going back to my first post you can make a more loose determination of their strength compared to the other nations by looking at how they did in the World Cup. All in all the appear to be "better" that the other nations on these 3 metrics alone. Do I agree they are the best team in the world? Probably not, but they are certainly in the same bracket (if not better) than Brazil or Germany.

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
Spelling
17 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Sorry I didn't mean to come across blunt in the first post, I've just re-read it back and it sounds like I'm saying "HOW are you comparing them against Brazil and Germany?".

I don’t believe him @BillyWoofs_shinpad. I think he was being deliberately aggressive. I think you should go round his house and kick his head in.

• Haha 3

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12103269/pl-club-board-member-rick-parry-should-resign-over-project-big-picture-plans

Sky Sports News has spoken to a board member of a Premier League club, who has said the 14 clubs are agreed that Parry has exceeded his authority and should tender his resignation.

They believe the proposals are a 'power grab' and they will be the key talking point at Wednesday's shareholders' meeting.

At those talks, discussions will continue over a bailout from the Premier League to the EFL - but it is understood the majority of 14 clubs are no longer willing to help out while Parry remains in charge.

Thanks Parry!

I think he should resign. This isn't even the worst thing he's done; he's also overseen the EFL's fit and proper assessments during a time in which Bury have gone out of business and Wigan have been done over by a chancer. Him leaving now is just preventing him from causing even further damage to our levels of football, including backing people like the Glazers in disastrous reforms that send a bit more money his way in the short term.

I note that someone mentioned the article by Henry Winter somewhere else and it was a decent read from what was posted on here. It was also interesting hearing a segment that I hadn't heard before from Winter on TalkSport; that this voting power could dictate who could come in and buy clubs in the Premier League. Imagine if that was the case before Sheikh Mansour came in to purchase City? Would United, Arsenal and Liverpool have signed off on that?

What about the potential takeover at Newcastle, if you ignore where the money is coming from, the level of investment being planned there is right up on that scale that has gone down at City and could reasonably challenge their success and their money. So why would they allow that to happen if that same level of investment came from less dodgy people?

• Like 3

Marske postponed...Darlo 6 Tadcaster 1, South Shields won on pens but Spennymoor lost 3-1 to Chester...so a couple of proper Northern teams in next round and with Marske playing Blyth, another one guaranteed