• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

As far as I'm concerned they can *** off and join the league.. FA can wash their hands of them and they can just deal with UEFA. Id also say that any English player playing for either team will not be eligible for selection to the national side.  Money hungry ***!

• Like 3

Having read a bit more, this "competition" is to replace the Champions League, not the Premier League. Elite European competition would be a closed shop. This would seriously devalue the Premier League....more leverage for the big boys.

2 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Having read a bit more, this "competition" is to replace the Champions League, not the Premier League. Elite European competition would be a closed shop. This would seriously devalue the Premier League....more leverage for the big boys.

Last I read it wasn't super clear if it was replacing the Champions League, because no one could get confirmation that UEFA had Ok'd it. Last I heard it was solely a FIFA backed thing, so FIFA could be stepping on UEFAs toes here!

15 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Last I read it wasn't super clear if it was replacing the Champions League, because no one could get confirmation that UEFA had Ok'd it. Last I heard it was solely a FIFA backed thing, so FIFA could be stepping on UEFAs toes here!

Well according to this article, the heads of FIFA and UEFA have been at loggerheads for some time, so it looks FIFA could be trying the mother of all "tapping ups", both to get in on the more lucrative club football scene, as well as to poke a finger in the eye of UEFA.

https://www.footballcritic.com/news/five-reasons-why-a-european-premier-league-might-not-happen-yet/1784

While a European Super League is definitely just a pipe dream for now, these things have a funny way of coming about, if there is enough money involved for all concerned.

I think that now the idea has been put out there, it really will be just a matter of time before it becomes a reality. 2024 sounds like a reasonable time frame.

2 minutes ago, Humpty said:

FIFA are 100% stepping on UEFA's toes. That's quite interesting in itself.

That's what happened when the FA decided they wanted more than just being in charge of the National Team and a Cup Competition back in 1992. The old English League First Division Clubs decided to break away from the Football League, founded in 1888, to grab a lucrative television rights deal. The 92 became the 72 after 104 years, while the 20 became rich.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Maybe Karma's already kicked in, Everton top of the Premiership, Van Dijk crocked and United languishing in 15th.

Been listening to Talk Sport today and the amount of sheer hate Pickford is getting is unreal! Death threats on social media and all sorts. 

23 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I honestly have no idea how they expect this to work in terms of numbers of games. PL managers already complain about their schedules, which is sodding hilarious given that we have 48 games minimum per year in the Championship. Add in an 18-team European League that runs every season and even if they don't do home and away games vs. every team, that's 17 games minimum replacing what right now is, I think, 15 games maximum if they reach the final from the last qualifying games. That's not accounting for if they do play each other home and away and the knockouts that come at the end of that European Prem season.

12 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Been listening to Talk Sport today and the amount of sheer hate Pickford is getting is unreal! Death threats on social media and all sorts. 

It doesn't help when pundits only shine the light on it when it's a big team. Seen significantly worse tackles than that in the Prem over the years and now pundits are coming out saying "Well, whether it's an accident or not, a player should be suspended as long as the player is injured", completely ignoring intention and whatnot in their discussions. It's mad.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I honestly have no idea how they expect this to work in terms of numbers of games. PL managers already complain about their schedules, which is sodding hilarious given that we have 48 games minimum per year in the Championship. Add in an 18-team European League that runs every season and even if they don't do home and away games vs. every team, that's 17 games minimum replacing what right now is, I think, 15 games maximum if they reach the final from the last qualifying games. That's not accounting for if they do play each other home and away and the knockouts that come at the end of that European Prem season.

The League Cup will almost certainly be scrapped by these European Premier League teams. That's a start of about 6-8 games. I'd expect them to lobby for a smaller Premier League. That's another 4 games potentially.

I think feasibly the European Super League will be restricted to about 12 teams. United, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Milan and PSG (plus Spurs possibly). Where's there's a will (money), there's a way.

4 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Heard a rumour that just 74 people paid to watch West Brom vs Burnley yesterday.

I wouldn't watch West Brom v Burnley if sky paid me £15!

(Well, I probably would, but you get my point...)