• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

It’sa shame that the FA confirmed that fans won’t be allowed to watch as some of those clubs could really do with the revenue. 
Also shame to see that the BBC in their relentless pursuit for diversity have another woefully experienced person to host who promptly went on to blow it out of her ass 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

She is a Newcastle supporter....so probably not used to talking about football

😂😂

it could’ve been nerves but the first 3rd of the draw completely went to pot for her. I just have a real big issue with many media outlets wanting the right type of person rather than the right person and the BBC are the worst for it

32 minutes ago, Uwe said:

😂😂

it could’ve been nerves but the first 3rd of the draw completely went to pot for her. I just have a real big issue with many media outlets wanting the right type of person rather than the right person and the BBC are the worst for it

I'm a bit hesitant in how you're approaching that topic as I feel I know what you're getting at but not entirely sure. Feels like you're pulling the 'diversity for diversity's sake' line and I can't say I'm a fan of that thought process. Diversity is a good thing, without it you wouldn't be seeing the likes of Alex Scott showing up the BBC/BT old guard. Sometimes a different perspective is more valuable than just "who's got the most talent/experience", especially as this ends up in a vicious cycle of only providing opportunities to the same type of people and discourages people of different backgrounds from pursuing a similar career to one that is dominated by old white blokes. Someone has to take a chance on people of diverse backgrounds or you just end up with yet another generation of Hansen and Lawrensen.

Not to mention that you seem to be suggesting she's just a randomer who the BBC have hired but she's been doing TV sports for 10 years. She seems to have the CV that backs up why she should be doing live TV sports so why the issue? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Background or gender should not matter, only issue should be competence, may have just been a day where something put her off...   I assume facts about each club are relayed through earpiece and if person relaying info mishears, then she is sold down the river, I've seen better and I've seen worse and I am sure that they are already discussing what went wrong. If it was down to her, then it's a learning experience and if it wasn't hopefully she lets them know it....   if she does next round draw and handles it better, she will be Ok, but for whatever reason, tonight did not show her at her best

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm a bit hesitant in how you're approaching that topic as I feel I know what you're getting at but not entirely sure. Feels like you're pulling the 'diversity for diversity's sake' line and I can't say I'm a fan of that thought process. Diversity is a good thing, without it you wouldn't be seeing the likes of Alex Scott showing up the BBC/BT old guard. Sometimes a different perspective is more valuable than just "who's got the most talent/experience", especially as this ends up in a vicious cycle of only providing opportunities to the same type of people and discourages people of different backgrounds from pursuing a similar career to one that is dominated by old white blokes. Someone has to take a chance on people of diverse backgrounds or you just end up with yet another generation of Hansen and Lawrensen.

Not to mention that you seem to be suggesting she's just a randomer who the BBC have hired but she's been doing TV sports for 10 years. She seems to have the CV that backs up why she should be doing live TV sports so why the issue? 

Diversity for diversity sake is exactly how I’m putting it. 
Now please let me explain that statement. 

There are many people who have jobs in sports media who I think are dog ***. Chris Sutton, Michael Owen on TV and don’t get me started on the Adrian Durham Darren Gough on talkSPORT. But if we are going to put women or people from the BAME community there are much more capable than what we tend to see. 
Alex Scott is fantastic as is Georgie Bingham. I was all for the overhaul of soccer Saturday Phil Thompson, Charlie Nicholas etc were dull as dishwater but to replace them with the likes of Pulis and Sherwood is totally WTF in my opinion. Micah Richards is a revelation on MOTD Kammy would be brilliant inside the studio of SS 

It’s harder for women in my opinion as they want to be taken seriously as journalists or pundits so they tend to stick to facts and stats to back up their claims and we see little of their personality but I’m sure that will come in time. 
I’m kind of rambling now but what I’m trying to say is that they are Capable knowledgable diverse presenters or there but in a rush to be seen to do the right things I feel that some media outlets push some people that aren’t quite ready just yet and that won’t do them any favours. I’m not on Twitter as I believe it’s a hateful and vitriol place and I bet my mortgage that girl  received dogs abuse for tonight which may shatter her confidence. Do in short we need things to change but it needs doing at the right pace. Just because we got it wrong (and we did) buy making it a men only domain we can’t force people into positions they aren’t quite ready for yet. 

One thing I’d like to add is. I go after the BBC especially hard as because they  bill me for the privilege of having a TV the least I expect is competence 

Again this is all my opinion and there maybe a 100 reasons the things are happening the way they are and it might turn out for the best in the long run

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Diversity for diversity sake is exactly how I’m putting it. 
Now please let me explain that statement. 

There are many people who have jobs in sports media who I think are dog ***. Chris Sutton, Michael Owen on TV and don’t get me started on the Adrian Durham Darren Gough on talkSPORT. But if we are going to put women or people from the BAME community there are much more capable than what we tend to see. 
Alex Scott is fantastic as is Georgie Bingham. I was all for the overhaul of soccer Saturday Phil Thompson, Charlie Nicholas etc were dull as dishwater but to replace them with the likes of Pulis and Sherwood is totally WTF in my opinion. Micah Richards is a revelation on MOTD Kammy would be brilliant inside the studio of SS 

It’s harder for women in my opinion as they want to be taken seriously as journalists or pundits so they tend to stick to facts and stats to back up their claims and we see little of their personality but I’m sure that will come in time. 
I’m kind of rambling now but what I’m trying to say is that they are Capable knowledgable diverse presenters or there but in a rush to be seen to do the right things I feel that some media outlets push some people that aren’t quite ready just yet and that won’t do them any favours. I’m not on Twitter as I believe it’s a hateful and vitriol place and I bet my mortgage that girl  received dogs abuse for tonight which may shatter her confidence. Do in short we need things to change but it needs doing at the right pace. Just because we got it wrong (and we did) buy making it a men only domain we can’t force people into positions they aren’t quite ready for yet. 

One thing I’d like to add is. I go after the BBC especially hard as because they  bill me for the privilege of having a TV the least I expect is competence 

Again this is all my opinion and there maybe a 100 reasons the things are happening the way they are and it might turn out for the best in the long run

Maybe she's capable of doing the job but she just had a bad day at work? 

I've heard her on talksport and she's always been more than competent on there, more competent than a lot of the male presenters on that station. 

• Like 1

I'd also say maybe given she's been doing this job for quite a few years that she's more than capable of taking the flak over a mistake, as much as anyone with that amount of experience. 

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

Maybe she's capable of doing the job but she just had a bad day at work? 

I've heard her on talksport and she's always been more than competent on there, more competent than a lot of the male presenters on that station. 

I did say earlier that it could’ve been down to nerves, but it could’ve been any number of things some even out of her control. The guy in her ear could’ve messed It up for instance or some miss information printed out on her notes. Just if I see incompetence (might be a harsh word but can’t think of another just now) it’s fair to call anyone out for it. It certainly happens in my job

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

I did say earlier that it could’ve been down to nerves, but it could’ve been any number of things some even out of her control. The guy in her ear could’ve messed It up for instance or some miss information printed out on her notes. Just if I see incompetence (might be a harsh word but can’t think of another just now) it’s fair to call anyone out for it. It certainly happens in my job

*Trying hard to not misunderstand that sentence*