• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Okay so I was today years old when I found out that Bombay Duck is actually a fish, how embarrassing!

This makes me sad. It’s real treat. The trick is to eat it without smelling it 👍

10 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Grealish, Mount and Foden behind Kane is a more positive line-up today, than at the weekend. Admittedly there is nothing riding on the game, but is at least a more positive outlook.

Will it be that or will Mount just be playing in midfield?

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Will it be that or will Mount just be playing in midfield?

I have a hunch Foden will play alongside Rice, but will have a licence to get forwards.
Then Mount and Grealish behind Kane.

I don't know about you, but if England are to stick with the back 3, I'd play one of Henderson or Rice not both and I'd also have Dier nowhere near the starting 11.

Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

I have a hunch Foden will play alongside Rice, but will have a licence to get forwards.
Then Mount and Grealish behind Kane.

I don't know about you, but if England are to stick with the back 3, I'd play one of Henderson or Rice not both and I'd also have Dier nowhere near the starting 11.

He's playing both because he believes we need them in there against the top sides.  Dier gets in because we haven't got a particularly strong group of central defenders.  He plays Walker in there, in the same way we play Dijksteel in there, but Walker has never been a really good defender.  His game was always about his pace and being able to get forward.  Then you've got Dier alongside Maguire, which just feels like an accident waiting to happen.  However, there aren't that many options in fairness.  Who else could you play?  Coady?  Keane?  Mings?  Not really a top group there albeit I'd probably give Coady a go in the middle of the three.

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He's playing both because he believes we need them in there against the top sides.  Dier gets in because we haven't got a particularly strong group of central defenders.  He plays Walker in there, in the same way we play Dijksteel in there, but Walker has never been a really good defender.  His game was always about his pace and being able to get forward.  Then you've got Dier alongside Maguire, which just feels like an accident waiting to happen.  However, there aren't that many options in fairness.  Who else could you play?  Coady?  Keane?  Mings?  Not really a top group there albeit I'd probably give Coady a go in the middle of the three.

I understand why he played them both against Belgium, but I do feel with a back 3, you can manage with 1 central midfielder, whose role is solely to sit in.
What I will say on the back of that re: Dier, we have got Coady and Gomez both injured who I think would be ahead of him normally. Yeah Walker is not a "great" defender at all, I think his pace covers a lot of his mistakes. I'd give Mings another run out tonight and I'd probably have Keane over Dier.

My ideal back 3 (Injury permitting and based on the form of the players so far this season) would probably be Gomez, Coady and Mings. 

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'm not sure there's much chance of seeing that back three unless players are injured.

Which is a shame as in my opinion that is a balanced back 3. Gomez and Mings are capable of defending out wide, due to both having stints at fullback and Coady is a very solid vocal central defender, who can step into midfield.

I'd love to see England play 433 with Grealish and Foden in midfield something like: 

Gk

Trent, Maguire, Stones, Chilwell

Grealish, Henderson, Foden,

Sancho, Kane, Sterling

It would be ridiculously attacking and I don't think we'd win a tournament playing that way but it would be fun to see us try. 

I'd much prefer that to 5 at the back and 2 holding midfielders. 

3 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@Duvel I feel that team would be way too open. But would certainly be entertaining to see it unfold, as long as we ended up on the right side of the result! 😂

I know it would but I don't want to see us grinding our way to a quarter final defeat with 7 defensive players! 

• Like 1