oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Barcelona first team players have a agreed to a paycut of £110 Million (per year). This is on top of the squad agreeing to defer £45 Million in bonuses.

There was talk at the beginning of this month that if they couldn't cut around £150 Million off the wage bill for this season, that the threat of bankruptcy was very real.

• Like 3
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

On 11/25/2020 at 5:26 PM, Neverbefore said:

Is that just because he cheated againt England? Because you'll be hard pressed to find any great who hasn't handballed delibately, dived, feigned injury etc. It doesn't take away how good a footballer someone is overall! Give over and get over it.

No.

Its my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I'll disagree with any expert, pundit...or forumite...

Same reason I don't rate Schumacher, Senna, Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong as great. Technically and / or physically skilful? Yes. Successful? Obviously. Great? No.

I'll throw in Paul Gascoigne as another example. Amazing footballer, but mentally a ticking time bomb, with a sad and well-publicised mess of a personal life.

With Maradona its worse because he refused to even acknowledge he cheated...as far as he was concerned he did nothing wrong. 

I don't care how skilful you are, in order to be considered "great" in my eyes, you must also conduct yourself in a sportsmanlike manner, not be a *** in your private life and most importantly you must not cheat.

Behaviour like you're describing is why I have a low opinion of footballers in general. I don't care how prevalent it is...just because "everyone" does it, doesn't make it right.

As your mum may have asked you as a kid, if your mate decided to throw a brick through someone's window for a laugh, would you copy them?

Sorry if my moral compass offends you.

Edited by AnglianRed

Agree re Senna. Gifted driver, no doubt, but I always preferred Prost, because he didn't come across as willing to cheat to achieve victory.

Nobody expects footballers to all be role models, but when they're cheating ***, it does rather poison you against them. See also diving in the box, and rolling around clutching their faces when someone's arm brushes against them.

51 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

No.

Its my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I'll disagree with any expert, pundit...or forumite...

Same reason I don't rate Schumacher, Senna, Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong as great. Technically and / or physically skilful? Yes. Successful? Obviously. Great? No.

I'll throw in Paul Gascoigne as another example. Amazing footballer, but mentally a ticking time bomb, with a sad and well-publicised mess of a personal life.

With Maradona its worse because he refused to even acknowledge he cheated...as far as he was concerned he did nothing wrong. 

I don't care how skilful you are, in order to be considered "great" in my eyes, you must also conduct yourself in a sportsmanlike manner, not be a *** in your private life and most importantly you must not cheat.

Behaviour like you're describing is why I have a low opinion of footballers in general. I don't care how prevalent it is...just because "everyone" does it, doesn't make it right.

As your mum may have asked you as a kid, if your mate decided to throw a brick through someone's window for a laugh, would you copy them?

Sorry if my moral compass offends you.

So there's no great footballers because every single one of them has dived/playacted or got a man sent off or intentionally hurt another player or handled the ball at some stage in their career. Got it!

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

So there's no great footballers because every single one of them has dived/playacted or got a man sent off or intentionally hurt another player or handled the ball at some stage in their career. Got it!

There is acting on the pitch and then there is doping. Doping tarnishes your entire legacy. 

15 minutes ago, Borodane said:

There is acting on the pitch and then there is doping. Doping tarnishes your entire legacy. 

I get that but we're not talking about how his legacy has been tarnished or not. Greatness is defined by your skill and accomplishments. You can like or dislike someone but it doesn't take away from how good they are at the sport. And maradona is arguably the greatest never mind a great.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I get that but we're not talking about how his legacy has been tarnished or not. Greatness is defined by your skill and accomplishments. You can like or dislike someone but it doesn't take away from how good they are at the sport. And maradona is arguably the greatest never mind a great.

I’ve known loads of people who take drugs, some are idiots, some are good people, their recreational activities shouldn’t define them, see also George Best, Paul Merson, Gaza and Dr Socrates. Maradona was a footballing god, the greatest to play the game he came from the streets and conquered the world. 

I don't condone what Maradona did with the handball but there is footage of the treatment the English players gave him during the game they tried to kick him out of the game. I know it was a different time and Hoddle received similar from their players but still think its a poor tactic. I also can't grasp how he beat Shilton in the air for that goal. 

On another note England should have got a free kick seconds prior to Maradonas wonder goal. 

Following the same logic as some Mohammed Ali would be discounted as a great sportsman for the whole cut boxing gloves thing against Henry Cooper  

• Like 1

To err occasionally should be forgiven, to build a career on it should not be. Maradona stayed on his feet when some present day  heroes would have fallen over at first contact. One of the all-time greats despite his flaws, and the treatment he received from defenders was almost certainly responsible for rule changes that have enabled talents like Messi to enjoy careers that have lasted more than a few years before they ended up with a serious injury.  

• Like 3

I seen a sheff wed journalist saying that the 0-0 draw today was the worst game he's ever covered, pulis effect in full force. I seen rhodes came on at half time and was subbed off again on the 80th, not sure if he was injured or what the craic was there.