oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

29 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

This. 

Even if you compare him to someone like Adama who fly's through challenges and won't go down unless he has to. Grealish is built, he has huge legs, he doesn't need to go down at every touch but he does

The problem with diving  is  there is a advantage to be gained. You can’t watch a Villa game without the commentators talking about the amount Jack wins for his team. Like someone else mentioned it needs reviewing and punishing retrospectively if needs be. 

My boss is a big rugby fan (even played at a decent level) and he sees ‘diving’ breaking into rugby. Obviously without the theatrics but there are certain positions that if a player stays down play has to stop. (I think it’s forwards but don’t quote me) so they’ll quite offer pretend to be more hurt than they are to gain an advantage by breaking up momentum or getting a breather for their team

• Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

@AnglianRed must really hate this 😉

Yep - this is exactly why I think so many footballers are utter genitalia (male or female - can vary from day to day and depending on my mood).

I wholeheartedly agree with @Redcar Rioja that this kind of crap needs to be penalised with yellow and red cards far more often. Consult VAR if necessary. Although given how it seems to work for other decisions, maybe not...

• Like 1

I think VAR would have sorted that incident out quite easily though there is the risk that they will get others wrong. A sending off and a three game ban to follow however would I think reduce the amount of disgraceful incidents like that one.

Britt's penalty on Saturday is one of those difficult ones where did he feel something or dd he dive?  

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Isn't there scope for retrospective action on obvious attempts to con the ref? I was sure it was talked about a few years ago but can't remember any time it's actually been used.

It was used on Bamford a few seasons ago for cheating and getting a Villa player sent off despite absolute zero contact.

Problem is, as blatant and pathetic as the dive was, he did get gently tapped on the leg and I can't see them punishing him because of that.

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

This. 

Even if you compare him to someone like Adama who fly's through challenges and won't go down unless he has to. Grealish is built, he has huge legs, he doesn't need to go down at every touch but he does

Actually, Adama *** off Rob Holding this weekend for going down too easily lol, one of my favourite things from the weekend.

• Haha 1
55 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think VAR would have sorted that incident out quite easily though there is the risk that they will get others wrong. A sending off and a three game ban to follow however would I think reduce the amount of disgraceful incidents like that one.

Britt's penalty on Saturday is one of those difficult ones where did he feel something or dd he dive?  

Well from the front view replay I saw, there did appear to be some contact, but he did go over very easily (in my opinion).

I suppose the issue when / if using VAR is do you go by the letter of the law and ANY contact constitutes a penalty, or can the ref still use some discretion if they think the player should have stayed on his feet?

33 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Isn't there scope for retrospective action on obvious attempts to con the ref? I was sure it was talked about a few years ago but can't remember any time it's actually been used.

You'd end diving within a couple of weeks with retrospective punishment. I've been arguing this point for years but no one in football seems to care about it. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

You'd end diving within a couple of weeks with retrospective punishment. I've been arguing this point for years but no one in football seems to care about it. 

It would also be interesting to see how many of the games "Greats" suddenly aren't as great when they get caught and punished for cheating. It's bad enough that they get caught on camera grinning and winking when they get away with it.

• Like 1